Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flaming gorge
as I write this I am on flaming gorge fishing for macs, I have had at least 25 fish come up from the bottom and look at my lure but not hit it, any suggestions???
[signature]
Down size your lure
[signature]
WHEN THEY COME UP TO IT. REAL AWAY SLOW. VERY SLOW.
[signature]
Ok, so I fished flaming gorge today, saw a TON of fish on the finder.. I probably saw four fish come up and look at my lure and then go back down, no fish but it was a blast..

I did meet wiperhunter and wiperslayer (i think), out on the ice.

On my way out, I walked past a guy who had a 17 pound fish, he said that he had caught five that day and the 17 pounder was the smallest...

The ice is officially unsafe.. when I walked out from swim beach at 0800 the ice was fine... there is a big pressure ridge about six feet wide that has opened up and has totally open water.. it was kind of cool... on the way off of the ice, I noticed the ice has been blown into the shore and the it buckled so the first five feet of ice is unsafe and I fell through the ice about two feet out.. if you want to fish the gorge you may want to take a plank or a ladder, it was 52 degrees when I came off of the lake today..
[signature]
It was good to meet you today Ajensen, did you get any info on how that guy caught the 17 pounder? We also ran across some unsafe ice as we were leaving, it was a huge chunk of floating ice. Lucky for us it was so big that it did not sink much but it was spooky watching the edge move as we went over it. Lucky you fell through so close to shore, hope you didn't get hurt.
[signature]
It seemed slow today . I almost smelled the skunk . But kicked butt in the end . Heard of koke caught by a member from another forum website . Ended up with a 20" burbot to take home [cool]
[signature]
we headed north yesterday and did have a ball on the baaby mac's up to about 29'' at buckboard man all of use took home some smoker's then we headed for big fish country only to smell that skunk but the other two friend' swent some were else by a spot next to spot that hell I dont know were thay went but thay ened the day with 14 burbot and ton's of 15''-29''mac man I got to go catch a real fish just finish my breakfast and i'am there in 10 min from the house later all FISH
[signature]
we were all ok.. so do you think ice fishing is done, or was the ice ok where you guys were (hellsangler)... I would love to get into a day like you guys are talking about.. I booked a trip with TarponJim for august, hopefully I can learn some things from him and there is always next year..
[signature]
I should of come up to Buckboard a lot sooner than I did . Fished Anvil with bites but no fish at all to the deck . Lots of wheelers out on the ice but heard of some cracks opening up . Left and went to Lucerne and found BLM & IFG and seen some open water and pressure ridge opened up . Went to Buckboard on the way home and nailed 4 dinks macs and a 20" burbot . Well I might have to wait for the soft water now to get me a 10#+ mac now . One of these days the hunt will continue . Here is some pics of the burbot .
[Image: Copyofgorge2_17_07-12.jpg]
[Image: Copyofgorge2_17_07-13.jpg]
Notice the worm like gotee on the burbot . These fish will reach over 36" and I bet some will get big in the Gorge .
[signature]
Hey Curt , How did you make out on the ice ? Any fish ?
[signature]
No fish for us, lots of fish looking and a few bites. We don't seem to have a problem with those smaller fish from Buckboard North but every time we target the big boys we can't seem to get-r-done. We had no problem getting on or off the ice but it sure was slick with no snow on it. Everything is melting real good, might be our last trip until ice off. Good to hear you got into a few. Did you hear how BLM and IFG did?
[signature]
I think they are still looking for mr. big fish .
[signature]