Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2/18/07 East Canyon Res. - EXCELLENT
Went Sunday with a friend up to East Canyon for some icefishing. Saw a bunch of prairie chickens on the way in and 3 bald eagles at the lake. Awesome sights! Arrived to find the ice around the edges soft on non-existent. So bring a plank to get on the ice (although someone had one at the launch ramp already). The ice near the dam was about a foot thick. We took off up the lake to get near the feeder stream but ran into a big color change (light to dark)about halfway there. We were not sure what that meant so we high-tailed back to the safe ice near the dam. We just did not want to chance breaking through with the ATV and shelter. I don't know how long the good ice will last here with this warm weather.

Fishing was very good 15-30 feet deep over water as deep as 55 feet near the dam. We fished a point on the near side and the rock wall on the far side of the dam. Both spots were excellent. We checked another spot that was a main lake point on the far side from the launch just down-lake from the rockwall near the dam. No hits in a half hour there.

The 2 of us caught 30-35 rainbows (all small) on jigs in white, chartreuse (hot color) and glow tipped with powerbait or mealworms. These fish were very finicky and stole a lot of bait. I think we had well over 100 hits! The fish seemed to prefer smaller offerings [like a 1" micro-tube jig or Rat-Finkee with a half mealworm or tiny gob of chart or red PB (smaller than a dime)]. There was a good mix of native bows along with the grotesquely deformed hatchery fare. FYI, no sign of sores on these fish.

So if you want an easy limit of dink rainbows, get on up there while it's still safe on the ice.... it won't last![cool]
[signature]
Kevin sounds fun I wish i could have been there with you.
[signature]
Evidently tattoos are more important than fishing to you! [Tongue]

We friggin' SLAYED 'em yesterday! [cool]
[signature]
Keeping my wife and mother-in-law happy are very improtant, as that permits me to plan trips fishing with you.
[signature]