Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weekend Tubing Report
I'm sure most of you saw that it was my B-day on Friday the 16th. I tried to fish that day but ran into some problems at Disneyland when I went with the family.[crazy]

First of all they wouldn't let my family take a picture of me fishing in the Jungle Cruise ride in Adventureland. Every time my wife would stand up with the camera, she was asked to sit down. Then they turned to me and told me to put away my object of projection. (telescopic 4'6" rod).[Wink]

They wanted all hands and feet inside the ride at all times and nothing was allowed to protrude from the boat. I almost got my gear confiscated and kicked out of Disneyland.[pirate]

I have to admit, I was tubless for the day.[Sad]

Saturday: Day two.[Smile]

I took my tube to Santa Barbara Ca to fish for Flatties (Halibut). I caught the outgoing tide around 12:15 and it was nice enough to bring me back in promply around sunset or 6:30pm. The weather was a baumy 78 degrees and the water was a chilly(hee hee) 65 degrees. Just right for the "Breathables" and my Shorts.

I did manage to catch 3 undersized Halibut, 1 legal Leopard Shark, 15 Barred surfperch and 1 leaky gasket on the tube. [shocked] All species were released to live another day.[Smile]

The gasket was not a problem. Beings that I have a strong plumbing background, I was able to fix it so that I could go back out the next day.[Wink]

Sunday: Day Three[cool]

I went farther down the coast to Summerland to look for some more salt action. Tube was working fine and holding air. The Barred Surf Perch were in abundance and nailing a new Shrimp pattern fly that I had just tied the night before. Around 35 made it aboard and disembarked by the same token. It wasn't their falt that I was there for fun. 1 more flatty made it to the picnic and left early too.

I decided to pull out of the water and get to one other spot before the tide change was ready to occur.

I moved farther down the coast to just above Malibu Cali. The tide was in my favor, took me out a short ways and left me to play with the Calico Bass for a few hours. The water had dropped to 63 and the Calicos slowed down slightly.

I changed up on my plastics threw out and though that I had reached the end of my good luck.[unsure] A stray Yellowtail had grabbed my plastic and pulled me out about 1/4 to 3/8 mile off the beach area. It turned around and luckily headed for the Kelp again.[blush]

I had never reached such speeds on my tube before except for when I had some 25 mph winds a couple of years ago at my other freshwater playground in Castaic.[shocked]

Finally the Yellow Tail was tiring out, so was I but my 14lb test (can't tell you the brand yet) was holding well considering that I was playing with a 30 lb fish. It was getting dark, the fish was tired, I was slightly pooped and guess who was invited to dinner??[cool][cool][cool][cool]

I battled the 1/2 hour drive home so that I could at least get 1 picture for the weekend. see attachment

Monday: Day 4 (am I stupid or just crazy) I just got my BASS whooped and I'm at it again.

I decided that since it was raining, I would go to my local freshwater lake and hunt some finless Freddies.

I got to the lake at Sunrise, went through the regular Tube Prep, download,continue prepping, downloading .......etc.

The sonar showed no fish to be found. A few dumb, raindrenched anglers on the shore proved it too. I changed rigs to search for some Kittys instead. Since the lake is only a few acres big(small), I was able to cover alot of ground and only got 1 strike. A little 2lb kitty that had been hiding from everyone.

He went back in the drink and I went home after 2 1/2 hours of kicking around.

All in all the weekend went well. I almost got kicked out of Disneyland, I kicked my butt all over the coast, I almost got my butt kicked by a baby Yellowtail, the finless Freddies left me high and dry and 1 small Kitty said good bye.

Yellowtail actually makes some of the best Sushi/Sashimi and other grilled delights as well. Just ask TubeDude. I'm sure he has caught enough of them in his life to know that a 30lb is just a baby. Even on light line.[cool] see attatchment of my dinner.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Excellent. Color me jealous. I would have been happy playing with the BSP's. That mellow yellow was outrageous.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have landed bigger 'tails from boats but never from a donut. In fact, I prefer to find a school of "firecracker" yellows, under 10 pounds and to wear out my rod arm on those babies. They can still tow you around but are a lot more "active".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yeah...makes me believe in heredity.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I knew you would approve of the color. Now if I could just get Disneyland to lax up a bit, it could have been sweet from start to finish.[cool]
[signature]
I, too, am jealous!! Although, I'm not so sure that I would have been that comfortable riding the tide in and out. I keep thinking that if I were to launch in the surf (not an easy task), I might end up being picked by a trauler(sp?) out in the ocean somewhere miles from where I started. When your dad and I were checking out the coast for potential launching sites, I had a tendency to want to only look at the bays.

I tried to launch down at San Carlos one day and all I did was succeed in entertaining the folks on the beach ... finally giving up and using my tube as a backrest while reading a book that I happened to have in the car!
[signature]
Grats on the Sushi. What time is dinner I will bring the wasabi. hehe Sounds like you had a great B-Day. I know what you mean about Disneyland I have been trying to get them to let me come in and do a early morning duck hunt for years, for some reason they always say no.

Majja
[signature]
The tide is the tricky part about tubing the Salt. You need to plan on the duration of the tide to keep from tiring out.

Most tides are anywhere from 4 to 6 hours from out going to incoming. It is easier to ride it out and enjoy it rather than fight it.

Not being able to download can put a whole different twist to it. Having a big fish pull you out farther than you are comfortable with, can really make a mess in your waders too.[shocked]
[signature]
Great report! Good descriptions. Made me feel like I was on board. Can't say as I'd be comfortable with all the going in and out with the tide stuff. Think I rather prefer water that doesn't take me away from security. But hey, I like to read about it, and that's one very nice fish you got.

Happy birthday. Looks like it was a good on for you.

z~
[signature]
Sounds like "Extreme Tubing" to me. Can't say that I would have enough bravery to make a go of it. If you can beat the tide, etc -- you still have the sharks to worry about. I kind of like it when my biggest worry is if my fins will get stuck in the mud when I am disembarking at a farm pond where there is no concrete launch ramp. Or when the coke machine next to the bathrooms at the city lake is out of regular coke, and I have to settle for a Diet Coke, or that maybe my last Bavarian creme donut will fall in the drink and stuff like that.
[signature]
TN2 I was kind of curious do you use a round tube in the BIG BLUE pond or one of the V-tubes (ie super fat cat ect). When I really like to play in the ocean when ever I get a chance and I have never worried about sharks.
[signature]
Hey Majja. I do have the Vtube. It is the FishCat4. It's just right. I was less worried about the sharks in the area that I caught the Yellowtail because the water was plenty cool.

The Santa Barbara water was warmer and just right for the Leopards. They don't have teeth anyways. Their teeth are like a Catfish. 30grit sandpaper.[cool]
[signature]

[size 1]I'm sure most of you saw that it was my B-day on Friday the 16th.[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[#ff0000][size 7]HAPPY BIRTHDAY[/size][/#ff0000]

I think thats enough candles

[Image: cruise058.jpg?t=1172029907]
[signature]
Hey Uncle Z. The tide runnin is actually quite common down here. You can't do it everyday because the tides change by about an hour for the most part on a daily basis.

If correctly planned, the tide can be alot of fun and perfectly safe for the type of fishing that I was planning to do. Most of the time you can plan on a 5 or 6 hour trip. Some times the tide will go in 2 or 3 hour swings. Everything is safe about it at that level. The Yellowtail was the oddball in the factor. I'm just glad that it wasn't a Black Sea Bass.

Those big boys get over 600lbs and don't run for the kelp or the shore. They run out deep. I never would have been back here to tell the story if it were the big Black ones.[cool]
[signature]
Dang Pokymon!!!! Anymore candles than that and I'll have to go back to FD and get a fire permit.[cool]
[signature]
Hey Dusty, for the most part, the sharks don't really bother the tubers. They like the tast of Surfers more.

Most of the Sharks that are out right now are the less toothy, bottom dwellers. Since it is Lobster season, they are scoring on the inshore Lobsters and crush them with their powerfull jaws.

Extreme Tubing is not for the Meek.[cool]
[signature]
tubeN2 --

Like I said, I think the extreme tubin' may make me spill my drink or drop my glazed donut (but if you can get through a set of DVD's and not short out the microwave during a trip there may be hope for me). May be fun in a few years when I get some more experience and practice.
[signature]
Hey Dusty

Whenever you are ready to hit the salt just let me know. I'll even bring some extra popcorn for the movie.

By the way, it took some effort but Netflix set up a "Floating" account for me. LOL
Back to the top.[cool]
[signature]