Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alcoholics on Fish Lake.
Well, due to popular demand, heres the report from our trip to fish lake.

A HUGE thanks goes out to the guys on this board. Southern utah duck hunter, extex, fuzzy fisher, and everyone else who gave us some info. Great info guys. made our trip lots nicer. If I can ever return the favor, let me know.

The crew included my pick up truck full of myself, Rip n lips, Bear Lake Mack, and Skeeter2. And the next truck had three more guys who are not users of the internet. Let me tell you, its a good thing they make big huge trucks cause BLM has enough fishing gear for twenty people, rip n lips totes a micro brewery around in his ice sled, and my shantee is freaking huge.

The fishing at fish lake is excellent. Well, at least is you use your rescources here at BFT it can be. You can catch nice rainbows and splake all day long. Shoot its like early season lost creek for fast action but with bigger fish. Just as fast as you can put down sometimes. The mack fishing was a bit slower. We did manage to get a few smaller macks, but none of the ones we were after. BLM is about as dedicated a mack man as you will find. While the rest of us reeled up on the smaller fish and caught numbers he stayed true to his course and left his jig smack on the bottom waiting out a big mack.

Just about everything worked, fireflys in black and red with light heads were killer on the rainbows and splake. Tubes in glow and white were good for macks and splake. Perch liked smaller fireflys and some psycho lure BLM had. Oh did I say that?! Yep, it may be the only time you see it, but the big fish man was fishing for perch! Blm with a soft rod up shallow. What a sight. Now he will tell you he was only there to get bait for the big fish, but I saw the look on his face when he pulled that first perch out of the hole. Pure joy! Then he paraded around the ice with his prize catch for all to see.

It was a fun trip. And may I recomend the aquarius inn hotel in bicknell for those of you who plan a multi day trip down there. Nice rooms, cheap, great resturant right there, very convinient.

BLM caught the state record splake while we were down there. The current record stands at 16 inces out of moon lake. I believe BLMs fish was 22 inches. So, theres a new catch and release picture for the DWR to look at.

It was a fun trip, we lost lots of gear, skeeter lost a pole in the tailgate of my truck, snap! Burned up a belt on his snow mobile. I busted a chair, one ice rod, and a windshield wiper. rip n lips lost his fish finder and locked the keys in my truck. And amazingly the guy with the most gear came away without a scratch.
[reply]Well, due to popular demand, heres the report from our trip to fish lake.

rip n lips totes a micro brewery around in his ice sled, and my shantee is freaking huge.

The fishing at fish lake is excellent. Well, at least is you use your rescources here at BFT it can be.

Just about everything worked, fireflys in black and red with light heads were killer on the rainbows and splake. Tubes in glow and white were good for macks and splake. Perch liked smaller fireflys and some psycho lure BLM had. [/reply]

So what was the psycho secret? Ripnlips' microbrewery? Did you pump that keg into fishlake to get them fish dumb and drunk so to easily lure 'em into submission? LMAO

Glad to hear you had a rip-roaring fun trip! I wished I was there!
[signature]
Great report Predator but what happened to BLM's new modified ATV, did it work out? WH2
[signature]
Most excellent report Predator. You guys must have been quite the group. Will you post the pic of the new record splake? That would be sweet to see.
[signature]
WH2, the redneck snow wheeler went real well until it got over to the slush covered half of the lake. Once you stopped in that stuff even the snow mobiles had a hard time.

Yes BLM will post the pic of the splake and a few others.

I believe Extex is posting under the disguise of a guest in the last post. Yep it was slushy like that all along the lake edge. We fished with livewells around our holes all weekend. It was that way from the north to the south. Shoot man, you should have seen what the lake looked like sunday. Saturday night they must have got between 5-8 inches of new snow. All that snow made it dificult to be real mobile but it was a good day anyways.
rip-n-lips gets my vote for the portable micro-brewery!

[crazy]

sm
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Oh man, I can just imagine it now ... 7 foot tall BLM prancing around, knees coming up high like in a marching band, holding a perch!!! Any one get a picture??[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Too much FUN!!![/size][/font]
[signature]
Yep dat be me in disquise - My puter at work would not log in. If they got 8-10 more inches I would havta mount me a snow blower on the front of my wheeler.

Anyone else have troubles with the forum. On both of my PC's the pages start and stops like crazy. Every time I am on its pause and go - pause and go - I get drunk watching it sometimes and this is the only website that it does it on. Any ideas?
[signature]
Ex, I have the same stop and go prob here at BFT. I cant figure it out either, but I guess its worth it to read all the great posts here. How are the snow geese down your way this year?

Todd
[signature]
Ex, I've noticed the stop and go on slower computers. It doesn't seem to be browser specific, I use Mozilla, and on slow computers it bobs like a cheap hooker on saturday night. But on my home rig, which is pretty snappy, no probs.
[signature]
Sounds like a blast !! Am I going to have to worry about BLM competing for the the perch with me now . LOL!! Way to go on the big splake BLM . Can't wait till the pic are out . tight lines
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Like Predator said earlier, I want to thank all the guys that willingly gave us the information to catch fish. Without this forum as an information source, we would not of had such a great fishing trip. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Friday was a very long day. We left at 1:30 am and stayed up all day. Skeeter stayed up the longest having worked swing shift and then climbing right in the truck for the ride down to Fish Lake. We fished on the east side of the lake straight out from Joe's bush. SUDH gave me a GPS point so we decided to try it out. We ended up catching quite a few fish. We broke out the four wheeleres but the snow on the east side proved to be too slushy and the even the 4wd four wheelers were having a real rough time getting around.[/size][/font] [center][Image: fl3.jpg][/center] [center]21 3/4" , 3 1/2 lb Splake caught Friday caught on a 2 1/2" glow tube and chub meat[/center] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Saturday Proved to be just as productive. RNL, Skeeter, and Predator fished shallow and put a hurtin' on the rainbows and splake while I stayed out in 100+ water and fished for macks. I caught 6 macks but all were guppies. I did hook up on one fish that I would guess at 4-6 lbs by the pull but lost him at the hole. No big fish caught. [/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Late on Saturday afternoon, the snow and wind hit with authority. It was whiteout conditions and we had to use GPS to get back to the parking lot. The storm ended up putting 6-8 inches of snow down on the ice Saturday night.[/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Sunday morning proved to be clear and bitterly cold first thing in the morning. We tried to get in close to the east shore to catch some bait but it was so slushy the snowmobile got stuck. We had to man handle it out of the slush and get it back to firmer snow. The unfortunate thing was that when we parked it, the track froze up and we burnt a belt up. Good thing Skeeter had an extra belt which we changed and then cleared the ice from the track.[/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Predator proved to have the hot stick on Sunday catching a few fish. We concentrated our efforts in the deeper water trying for the macks but the only macks caught were midgets; the biggest being about 2 lbs that Skeeter caught. Here are a few pics of a few of the fish caught Sunday morning.[/size][/font][/left] [center][Image: fl1.jpg] [/center] [center]Predator with a small splake caught on pearl blue tube[/center] [center][Image: fl2.jpg][/center] [center]Skeeter with a 2 lb mack nailed with a pearl blue back tube tipped with perch meat[/center] [center][Image: fl4.jpg][/center] [center]Predator showing off another trophy splake caught on a peral blue tube with perch meat[/center] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]All in all it was a great trip. Tons of fish to catch and beatiful scenery shared with good friends. Definitely a trip worth remembering.[/size][/font][/left]
[signature]
Very, very nice splake BLM. Congrats. Looks like the trip was well worth the effort.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Don't let this "record" splake thing fool you. The state record for splake is 15 lbs 4 ozs from Fish Lake. The catch and release record is 16" long. That's only because no one has taken the time to record a big splake for the record book.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]You won't be seeing my name in the record book until it's a legitimate record breaking fish for catch and release. [/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]That 21 3/4" long 3 1/2 lber just ain't gonna cut it in this boy's book when the state record is 15+ lbs. BTW, the world record for splake is 20 lbs and several ounces caught in Ontario, Canada so Utah splake definitely have the potential to get trophy size.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Those are some nice photos! It is a blast isn't it!

I got a question about the splake. Are they sterile? Are they all stocked fish or are they spawning in the lakes?

I'm in the dumps now cause I probably will not get to go back until the ice is off [Sad] Thats OK though I got a turkey tag for Monroe so I'll spend all day huntin and all nite fishing up there in May [Wink]
[signature]
It was a great trip with a great bunch of fellow fishin' finatics.

Predator... Thanks for driving and putting the miles on you truck. Skeeter... Your snow machine got us where we needed to go. Thanks for bringing it. BLM... Thanks for bringing your ATV snow machine hybrid and acquiring the trailer to get the machines down there. The "hybrid" would have done well if the snow and slush hadn't been so deep. And thanks to the BFT Utah board members for some info before we headed out.

Predator and BLM pretty much summed up the report. The Splake and Rainbow were soft mouthed and didn't strike very hard. I don't know about the Macks because I never caught one while we were there. The bite seemed to be on all morning and into the early afternoon, at which time it would abruptly go cold for the rest of the day with only a few fish being caught from time-to-time. While the bite was on, I tipped jigs with Perch meat, Chub meat, and even Meal Worm, and they were all productive. If you lost your bait, you may as well have been fishing with a bare hook. As has been reported before, fishing just off the edge of the weed line seemed to hold the most Splake and Rainbow. However, the Macks and bigger fish in general were out in deeper water as BLM proved.

A couple growlers of my fine home brew and Bloody Caesar (similar to a Bloody Mary) fixin's did accompany me out onto the ice each day. When the bite was off in the afternoon, it was sure nice to fix a drink, kick back, relax, and soak in some sunshine.
[signature]
Sounds like A good trip even if you did not catch that big mack
and that is a nice splake and a state record to boot, way to go BLM. Were you happy with the ATV/snow machine's performance? I noticed you changed you custom fish signature at the bottom of your post, it looks nice, are the fish splake? WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'd be happier with a snowmobile in the conditions we were in but the snow-wheeler will do just fine in snow up to 8"-10" if it's not too slushy. Besides the four wheeler will be fun all year round.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The fish in my sig are lake trout. I thought I could use a change for a while.[/size][/font]
[signature]
oh youre killing me here sitting at work!

sm
[signature]
you lucky dog. i have not drawn on a turkey tag in five years straight!!!. for all intensive purposes splake are sterile. as far as they know they will not reproduce in the wild. but i read under certain conditions hybrid trout and other fish can and do reproduce in controlled conditions. food for thought.
[signature]