Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mudlake/Wadelake weekend Report
Well I got a call Friday night saying that the ice was getting broken up at Ririe by the lifting water. Didn't sound too safe so I headed to Mudlake on Saturday. I wasn't feeling like searching all over the lake so I headed to my usual spot which I will tell you is right in the middle of the lake. How about that for an exact location[Wink]. Things started off slow with several perch that were smaller then anything I had caught all winter. There was not any one lure or bait that seemed to work better than another. We iced 37 perch between 8 and 2:30 in the afternoon. The largest being 10 1/2" although kingfisheral caught one that was 11 1/2". Overall it was slow but steady and we caught enough for a nice perch dinner.

Monday I snowmobiled in to Wade lake just across the border in Montanna. I had not been to Wade in about 10 years but it was beautiful as usual. The six mile ride in was worth the trip without the fishing. There were seven of us in our party and it was one of those strange days when the stars lined up against me and my ego.

I drilled a line of holes to start off the morning. My wife and I's holes did not get a bite. A few feet a way my friend and his wife were realing up some nice rainbows in the 18-22" range. So I drilled a line of holes going another direction. I tried a few and my friend tried a few. My holes yielded nothing my friend immediately started reeling in nice rainbows. I tried every lure and bait imaginable and anyone who knows me knows I carry a full arsenal of lures yet I only got two bumps all day. My friend landed around 15 nice rainbows and yet nobody else in our group got a fish. O'well I need to humbled on occasion.

The one thing that I was surprised at was no browns were caught. In the past it seems like we always caught some nice browns out of wade. Does anyone know if they are still in there or why the change to rainbows?

The excitement was not over as my friends were heading back home the weld on the Tongue of the snowmobile trailer broke and the trailer whipped around and smashed the side of their truck. It did turn out to be an expensive fishing trip as several thousand dollars of damage was done to the truck and snowmobiles, but luckly no people were hurt.

Good Luck
Windriver
[signature]
Great report and I am sorry about the misfortunes at Wade Lake. I am glad everyone is OK. On the fishing side of things that would have drove me nuts. I don't mind being out fished by anyone, but I have had a couple occassions when I was skunked and people were doing well; it did drive me crazy. By any chance did you see any river otters; this is one big reason why I want to fish Wade Lake some day.

OvidCreek
[signature]
No I did not see any river otters, but the front of the lake has a large spring with open water.

Windriver
[signature]
Windriver,

Thanks for the great report on Mud & Wade. Wade Lake fish and I have tangled a time or two over the years.[Wink]

[signature]