Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorge open water?
Best guess on when the Gorge might have some open water for fishing from a boat? I have a grandson leaving on a mission on April 4 and I'd like to take him out in the boat before he leaves. When does the ice usually go? I'd like to go up on the Wyo. side maybe up to Anvil or thereabouts. Any chance??

Thanks
[signature]
I have had my boat on the gorge in early April a few times.I also remember years that many parts of the gorge didn't freeze at all.As hard as the gorge froze this year (been along time since I seen 18 inches of ice in buckboard Bay),its had to say.

Both Wyoming and Utah have been experiencing above temps for this time of year. That will help the ice to soften,then we get some strong winds behind that,and it might be open in early April.I'm sure the ice fishermen will let it be known when the ice gets unsafe to fish.
[signature]
There's open water near the dam and you can launch at Mustang Ridge. I've seen one boat out, but I'm not sure of any success. With the recent winds the amount of open water is increasing daily down here. It won't be long and you'll be able to boat up canyon!
[signature]
it's allready unsafe you may be able to get your boat on in a couple week's the ice is getting soft and the wind is doing it's job the bank's are opening up and the presure rig's are opening up and that is all it take's to blow the ice off FG I know a guy that lost his wheeler in 140 ft of water in anvil last week he got next to a pressure rig and the hole area just went from under him he was lucky he was by him self and in the water for over 5 min so if ya do have to hit the ice tread lightly.FISH
[signature]
Thanks for the responses. I do appreciate it.

Fishley, about the guy that lost his wheeler through the ice near Anvil-- was he able to recover the machine?? Would a wheeler sink in water or would the tires keep it afloat? Guess he was just lucky to get out himself. I'll bet a snowmobile would sink like a rock but I have wondered about a wheeler. I would hate to find out by personal experience!

Just wondering.....
[signature]
yep he lost every thing fishing pole's fishfinder every thing a guy would need to fish big mac's and then some I would guess the forest circuis will make him retreave it come ice out thay is three machine's in 2 week's in the lake I guess some guy's just cant walk eny more lol I bet thay do next yr lmfao.Fish
[signature]