Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Trophy Rainbow Trout Stillwaters in Utah?
I have fished Utah waters all my life and Strawberry since I was a kid. The best eating fish in this state comes out of Strawberry because of all of the crustaceans in the water. I for one want a trophy fishery but I also want to keep some fish to cook for the Fam. I like the idea of up the slot to anything under 17 inches. This would allow us to keep a couple of fish more often. (As many of you know, it is hard to catch small fish in Strawberry.) I also like the idea of making the upper slot at 25 inches. Also, if I go to that RAC meeting, I would tell the fish and game to put more rainbows in the water. I seems that we are not getting enough rainbows stocked. I for one think it is extremely easy to tell the difference between sterile trout and cuts. The fins are the key. Any orange on the lower fins and you can't keep it. Pretty darn simple. I like simple. I think it is simple now. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. Opposing views are always welcome in the world of BFTer's
[signature]
Opposing views are always welcome.

I have not looked at any numbers, but what if...

What if it were possible to actually increase pounds of fish harvested by including all trout within the 15-22" slot?

It just might be possible. Give anglers an opportunity to keep a couple 12" fish, or a couple 23" fish -- which would you like better???
[signature]
PBH- Great idea. I fully support this effort and will be glad to attend whichever RAC you decide to target along the Wasatch Front. I have watched the average size of the cuts out tof he Berry go up every year since they implemented the slot, and am of the opinion that this change would do the same with bows. It may even produce more dramatic results with the bows, as they are sterile and as such are not hassled with the distraction of reproduction, but can spend all their resources growing into hogs.
[signature]
[reply]
I fully support this effort and will be glad to attend whichever RAC you decide to target along the Wasatch Front.
[/reply]

that's just it. If this idea is ever to work, we need to hit ALL RACS! People need to show up at the RAC meetings in their region. If I'm the only guy that shows up at the Southern RAC, I don't expect to get much attention. But, if a bunch of fishermen show up at all RACs in the state, then they won't be able to ignore the issue.

piscis -- I nominate you to suggest to the RAC of your region that the RACs and the DWR explore the idea of including all trout in the slot limit at Strawberry. Thanks!
[signature]
I'm in, I'll take the Central RAC on May 22nd in Springville. I also will be at the Northeast RAC on the 17th, though speaking for a different issue at that meeting, but can lend support to anyone who goes to that.
[signature]
Just a random thought to mess with. How about a special tag......1 fish per year with a special permit.....no slot limit.
Supposedly, the rainbows at strawberry only live to be three years (as reported from the DWR fisheries biologist first hand) old. Can anyone confirm that? I doubt all the planters are being harvested. I would guess it is more a matter of how much food there is available.
[signature]
Those big rainbows that are caught occasionally are older than 3 years. The big rainbows from historical accounts were also older than 3 years old. Given the opportunity, rainbows can live longer than 3 years.

But, the biggest point of this is to simplify regulations. Lessent he confusion for both anglers and enforcement angencies. Make their jobs easier, as well as make life easier for us. If fish happen to get bigger as a result of the simplification -- GREAT!
[signature]
If anyone is still interested in this, please send me a PM with your email address.

Thanks.

PBH
[signature]