Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay Wiper Tournament
Hello Guys,
We have started to recieve inquries from sponsors and users about this years Wiper Tournament. We are excited and know this years prizes could really be great (were already starting out with some extra first place money) but we have a couple concerns.

It's come to our attention that Willard might present a problem due to water levels. We will be contacting the DWR to see if they share these concerns but if anyone has any information or has heard anything please reply to this post.

A couple of things we wanted to discuss and get feedback on would be:

If Willard does present a problem due to water levels and boat access what would be the level of intrest in another waterway?

If an alternate location is selected please posts suggestions?

If alternate location is selected what dates would be reccomended.

Some of the questions we are going to try to get answered in the next week are:
If Willard works, what date would we hold the tourney?

Lastly guys, Although it's hard to improve on a tournament like last years, does anyone have any suggestions?
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
[black][size 3]Hey Mike,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Since Willard is the only body of water around these parts (Utah) that has Wipers in it, if it did indeed move, it would have to by necessity be a tournament for other species.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]There is no real official word on Willard yet as far as what the water level will be at that time, But, if there is enough water, the tournament could be still be held - it would just have to be without larger boats. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]There has already been some discussion here on the Utah board regarding a different type of tourney involving float tubes, pontoons or other craft besides larger boats. Even waders and shore anglers would be able to participate given the right conditions.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]As far as changing the venue completely, I am sure there are those that would still be interested. And, there certainly are enough large bodies of water to have a tourney on. Some that come to mind with possible large fish or multiple species are Strawberry, Bear Lake, Utah Lake, and Pineview.[/size][/black]
[signature]
I say keep the tradition...wipers at willard regardless of water level. We could use smaller boats, tubes, toons, and waders if need be.
[signature]
I also would want to keep it at willard even if I had to fish from a smaller craft,at current water levels I have launched and was able to get out of the marina,keep in mind though my reference is the pictures that have been on the board lately,by late March into April water levels could be fine,Lets keep the tradition and fish for wipers.
later,FNF[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]My suggestion is to plan for the tournament, but change the date to August or September. That's when the wipers boil on top and there should be enough water by then.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not likely to get as much interest in any other species, for a lake close enough to the major cities of Utah to draw a crowd.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Then again, we could get DWR to declare open season on skiers and PWC and have a tournament at Deer Creek. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
I say keep it at Willard regardless of water levels. There are plenty of ways to catch wipers other than in huge boats. It would make it very interesting to have a bunch of toons and bank waders in the contest. I caught a 19" wiper right off the boat ramp last year well within casting distance of the bank.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]If I can't launch my boat and the water levels aren't high enough to safely maneuver the reservoir, count me out. I hit a $500 stainless prop 2 years ago fishing the tournament and had to send it back to the factory to be re-pitched. I have no desire to fish it in anything but my boat.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I can imagine people weighing in and measuring fish that have been dead for hours, stringers in the water aren't as great as you would think. The "Toon Tourney" sounds like fun but there are alot of people that would miss out or not even want to fish because they would have to fish from the shore. I wouldn't want to be in a tourney fishing from the shore while the competition is floating about the lake.
The good thing about the boats is that there is a boater and non-boater(s), everyone was able to participate. Last year was my first time at the tourney and I had a blast, I wasn't even in the tournament, I was weighing the fish.
To have another tourney as successful as last year it would have to be in boats on another water if Willard isn't safe.
I'd like to see the tourney in the spring again if it happens. If it's on another water than you have to deal with what the target fish is and deal with the size restrictions. In the tournaments I've fished we were able to keep bass over 12" in the livewell, penalties if they were dead, but not everyone on BFT has a livewell in their boat. Good luck Mike, if you need any help just holler. This could be a tough one...
[signature]
If BLM is out then I'm in, no one to stop the wiperslayer/wiperhunter team this year, LOL[Wink]. I understand where Rich is coming from but there should still be plenty of people interested and maybe even more than last year if the float tube crowd get involved. I'm not sure if later in the year would be a good thing because the water levels could be drawn down again if the mountains don't get a lot more snow very soon. I guess that could be good for the float tubers but bad for the boaters[unsure]. The latest news we've heard is that the dike will be repaired by May, if that is true, the water levels will be as high as they will get by sometime in June. I think the tournament could be held the second or third weekend of June without any problem, at least for those of us that can get on the lake. If you change the location of the tournament, you will get those that are interested but it wouldn't be the same, I vote to keep it at Willard no matter how low the water level gets.
[signature]
I agree with TD, if we can't hold it in the spring due to low water we should look at holding it later in the year. The wife and I both have tubes but we would much rather fish out of our boat. We had a ball last year and I hope we can come up with something so we don't have to cancel the tourney. [cool]
[signature]
[reply]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]If I can't launch my boat and the water levels aren't high enough to safely maneuver the reservoir, count me out. I hit a $500 stainless prop 2 years ago fishing the tournament and had to send it back to the factory to be re-pitched. I have no desire to fish it in anything but my boat.[/size][/black][/font]I second that BearLakeMack!!! [/reply]
[signature]
Are you STILL complaining about that prop hit?[laugh]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Some of us value our toys more than others. I'm not complaining, I just learn by my mistakes. You boys have fun.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Mike, the DWR will have no say on water levels at Willard, it is managed by the Weber Basin Water Conservancy. I have an acquaintance there who will be able to tell me when they will be able to "fix" the problem. Currently the goal to finish the project is May 1st. As of last week, they still don't have engineering approval, but they expect it soon. As soon as they are ready, they will begin the work. Unfortunately our snowpack is rather dismal (however improving), and we might be out of runoff by May, and the water level will only get lower with evaporation, and the stuff allotted to the Harold Crane Waterfowl Refuge. If the water levels stay current, or even up a foot or two, larger boats will not be workable in the marina. Right now you could get one boat at a time, but you would have to immediately leave the chanel, there would be no place to stage inside of the marina, and like BLM has mentioned, there would be a lot of prop problems for people who did not know the EXACT route to take their boats. Realistically we would need a good 4-5 foot increase in current water levels to reasonably sponser the tourney with big boats. A small boat tourney may be possible, but staging and launching would be problematic. Many tubers would want to be scattered around the lake, and I doubt everyone would be honest about a "start" time, if you don't believe me, just go out duck hunting on the opening day. My thoughts to cure that would be to have 2 meeting places, one in the north and one at the south, have everyone do all the paperwork, then have the judges on cell phones telling everyone to break the proverbial huddle at the appointed time. I think you could still have your check in at the north marina, as most people aren't weighing/measuring in live fish anyways.

I feel your pain with the sponsors, but I honestly don't think you can make a final decision until the project is completed if you want to try to make it open to larger boats.

Keep us posted.
[signature]
I have never fishd this tourney, but if the water levels stay low, you may also have a seperate divisions .. ie tubes toones bank anglers and motorized.
[signature]
Just plan on having the tournament at the same time as last year!
James
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]If water levels don’t rise sufficiently for most boats, then trying to operate a tournament would be a real circus. But without a crystal ball, knowing what the levels will be is just a guess right now. I say we wait a bit longer to get a better idea of what the water levels are looking to be and then discuss this more at that time.

If it is important to get going on making plans, change it to a body of water that could be a sure thing. However, like someone else said, not being at Willard just wouldn’t be the same thing. If the tournament were to be moved to a different location, I would highly hope that it NOT be at Pineview. I think that might bring too much stress on those big fragile tiger muskies.

Everything considered, I say just wait until next year and hold it at Willard.[/#002850][/font][/size]
[signature]
Let's keep it at the same time as last year. If the conditions don't allow it lets wait tell next year. If the tourney is moved to a later date count me out. I won't be out there with 50 other boats raceing for the same boil.
[signature]
the problem with getting the dike fixed is its a goverment load of crap. just like when the south marina was bone dry ya think the idiots would have put a couple loaders and track hoes in could have cleanedthe whole thing in a couple days. not those idiots they waited till it filled then dredeged.
[signature]
[Wink][Wink] If I can get my boat in I will fish. IF not, I would have just as much fun cooking those brats again this year just like last year. I think we have to look at it as its also a chance to get together and meet new folks, along with having some fun and enjoying life. I am sure that OLd coot would enjoy doing a little rustlen up of some grub with me. MMMM Calico beans!

The pot luck thing worked good like last year.
[signature]