Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Report
I was able to hit the Rock Pile today. I was there for a few hours and the fishing was off and on. I had my son with me and decided to try for some whitefish. In 3 hours we caught 2 chubs, 6 whitefish, 1 sucker and 1 small cut.

I only saw 2 other fish caught. However, I was fishing shallower than most (25'-30')

I was fishing with a 1/64 oz chartreuse jig. My son did well will a small red and white spoon. Probably 1/16-1/32 oz.
[signature]
Glad you got out with the little one Jason. I am getting the boats up and ready to go this week. Softwater is imminent. Ready for the tigers again?
[signature]
Yes, I am am definately making time to hit it with you again.
[signature]
Thanks for posting your report CR, you don't hear of many people catching chubs at Bear lake, were they very big? We tried moving into the shallows before we left yesterday but did not have any luck for the whites, what kind of bait were you using? WH2
[signature]
I am embarrased to this but I didn't believe they were chubs. At first I thought they were a dark white fish lol. After looking at the mouths, and getting confirmation from another angler I now know they were. They were big, probably around 9-10 inches.
[signature]
Wiper,

I was tipping my jig with a Mealworm. However, I usually prefer the waxworms. If my jig was more than 6" off the bottom, there were no hits.

They usually only hit once or twice, very soft. My pole is very sensitive and flimsy. With my regular ice rod, I would have never detected most of the hits.

I know last year (probably a week later than now) we couldn't keep them off. It was usually non stop action. I suspect it will get really good when the spawn is in full swing.
[signature]
Did you have any big fish on that broke you off? The small mack my brother caught had a really small chartruse jig way back in it's mouth. I didn't think that the macks would take that kind of stuff.
[signature]
No, I did not. I would think mac's would be feeding along with the
cuts' during the whitefish spawn. At least the smaller ones I would think; might move in the shallower depths????
[signature]