Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 2/24/07
Took my wife, brother and a couple friends up to the Bear today. Fished the same place as I did on Tuesday. Didn't see as many fish on the finder as Tuesday, but they were still some coming in. I caught 2 cutts and my brother caught his first ever macks. We tried moving a bit but we never found a high concentration of fish. Ran into Fishon1, and BLM. Right after BLM left my brother caught his second mack. It was a good one. He just got the head out of the water and as I was coming to get a hold of it with the lip gripper, his intoxicated father in law thought he would scoop it out with the metal scoop. As soon as the scoop touched the fish it thrashed around and broke the line. We never got the fish out but it was a good 27"+ fat fish, and needless to say, my brother was quite devestated.
When we left there had been quite a large pressure break about 100 yards off the beach. The ice was still ok to cross but you had to be careful where you went because you could see some water.
[signature]
nice pics, especially that sunrise... I still hope to hit bear lake before the ice is off, I have never been there and would love to try it. I guess I better hurry..
[signature]
Ah, Revenge!!! Nice job Travis.[cool]
[signature]
Sounds like your day was the same as ours Travis, at least it was a good day and the wind was low. We were marking a lot of fish early but only caught 3 cutts, the largest being 21 inches. I think we saw you guys near GSP, there was a bunch of snowmobilers way out there, was your group near them? We were fishing south of GRP near Ideal beach. We did manage to catch two more after we moved in a little, right before we left at 4pm. Hope the ice stays good a few more weeks.
[signature]
We were east and a little south of the rockpile. I don't know if you could it or not but I had a camo tent set up out there for a while. The big group you saw with the snowmobiles was BLM's gang. We were north of them a couple hundred yards. I wanted to go over that way some more but we already had a long walk to get back so we just stayed where we were. How deep did you guys fish? We only found 95' but fished in 90' most of the day.
[signature]
We started off in 92 ft of water and caught three cutts, when the fish stopped biting, Ira moved out to 98' but nothing. We then moved into thirty ft of water to try for some whites, nothing, not even a bite. So Ira moved out to 75 ft and caught that 28 in mack and one more cutt. There is a pulloff south of Ideal beach where the access to deeper water is a shorter walk, that is way we tried it there. If I remember correctly the walk out from the Rock pile to 90' of water is around a mile, where we were fishing it was around 1/2 mile. We were thinking we should have tried fishing where you guys were because we thought the catching would be better there but I'm glad we checked out this new area.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]There are no fish in the new area you tried. All fish are at the rock pile off ideal beach. Just ask anyone. That's why everyone goes there.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
LOL, your a funny guy. We were thinking about going to the new rock piles or out from marina but its always good to check out new areas, you never know what you will find[cool].
[signature]