Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trout in Lakes
When fishing for trout in lakes what type of lure or bait do you prefer and what rig (i.e. Carolina rig)?
[signature]
From shore, float Powerbait or worm/marshmallow combination anywhere from 1-4 feet above a slip sinker depending on the growth on the bottom. I try to stay about 6-12" above. For steeper drops where I know the fish are holding 10' or up, I sink a worm 6-7' below a float.

From a float tube, tube jigs or a wolley bugger towed 4-5' behind a bobber. This is of course if you don't fly fish. I don't know enough about fly fishing to give recommendations there.

From a boat, any of the above and add trolling. Flat line (no weight) if the fish are up high with a rainbow Crocodile spoon. 1-2oz. of weight and a small set of pop gear (16-20" Doc Martin usually) followed by the old and trusted red/chrome triple teaser if the fish are 10-20' down. Dipsy Divers/Pink Lady's/Downriggers and larger gear if the fish are deeper than that.

If you are talking about big fish (Lake Trout or similar) or big lakes, the techniques would change accordingly.

Where and what kind of trout are you going after?
[signature]
In summer:

I like to use panther martin spinners, little cleo wiggle lures, or even just a treble hook with a big chunk of sucker meat.

in winter:

I use a little cleo with a 6 inch monofilament with a snell hook on the end. Attach a medium daise minnow hooked under the dorsal fin. Also I jig with glow in the dark airplane jigs tipped with minnows.

I've only ever fished rainbows in rivers (I really like my Panther Martins for this) so I can't help much there.
[signature]
Howdy bass tracker. I use several different baits and lures for catching trout in lakes. my favorites are: If I am in my float tube I will fish with a worm that is tipped with a marshmallow. i rig this up with a clear bubble on my spinning line. I put a swivel on with a small split shot right above that and another one about a foot above the bubble. I then place about two feet of leader on the swivel with my hook on the end. I generally troll this back wards in my tube over the weed beds adn near floating patches of moss but it would work to from the shore if you cast really slowly. If I am flyfishing I generally prefer a large beaver leech. I usually use a size 2 thru 10 depending on the size of the leesches int he lake. The other fly that works great is a mosquito or a renegade on the surface with a fly rod or behind a bubble. The best thing is to match the hatch. I also use alot of panther martins. I generally fish with a size 6 or 9 gold and black one. The one with the gold blade adn gold dots on the black body. I also use kastmasters and krokodiles in silver with either blue or green on the kastmasters. I hope this helps you out adn let me know how you do.
[signature]

Hi there Basstracker29,

I like to tube and flyfish smaller trout lakes. If I can't sight fish rises, I start to slow troll a rig consisting of a larger fly up front and smaller fly trailing. I used both sinking and floating lines and the only thing to change is the fly combination throughout the season. Oh ya, it might be good to have an extra long leader say 15 feet or so too.

JapanRon
[signature]
My most common approach would be "Drop shotting plastic worms", although top water action is my favorite (it just doesn't seem to produce as many fish).
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator