Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PACKFAN'S 2006 UT. elk.
This is a picture of the bull I took in Utah in Nov. 2006. He is a 6X6 with 3 1/2 and 4 inch Devil Points. I shot him at 349 yards (according to my range finder) with my Model 70 300 Win. Mag. Not the largest bull taken in our state last year, but I was happy with him. I hunted completely on my own and only called on a friend after I downed the animal to help with the pack out. It was an easy pack of 3/4 mile down hill to my truck.
[signature]
Great looking bull. The LE units in Utah sure do produce some nice bulls.
[signature]
According to my latest SFW magazine there were 16 bulls taken this past season that grossed over 400 in Utah. Mine only measured 335 but I was happy with him. Took me 7 years to draw the tag. I believe you guys have some LE hunts in your state as well, They will eventually produce trophy bulls. I know alot of people hate passing up mature bulls in our spike only areas but we have to do it to let the big bulls survive. I just enjoying seeing these big guys during my archery hunts. I still get pretty pumped when I take a spike or a cow with my bow. Have a great day.[cool]
[signature]
There are a few units in Idaho that will kick out 330"+ bulls on a regular basis but the Idaho F&G doesn't manage any units for old bulls like the LE Utah unis. The unit that I hunted this year in Idaho has no over the counter rifle tags for branched antlered bulls. I looked over at least a couple dozen different bulls during my hunt and only 3 bulls were 6 points and none of them scored over 280". The way the Idaho F&G manage almost all units doesn't allow many bulls to reach 4 years of age. Even in the controlled hunt units very few Idaho bulls make it to 6-8 years of old when they will grow their largest rack. I doubt the Idaho F&G will ever manage its elk herd for Boone & Crockett bulls on a large scale like Utah does.
Personally I like how the Idaho F&G manage their elk. If I was willing to put in some time and leg work I could have a very good chance at killing a P&Y bull with my bow every year. I just haven't had the time the last few years and would rather hunt mule deer with my limited number of free days.
[signature]
I know what you mean, I feel lucky to have drawn a limited entry tag and that will be my last for a bull elk in Utah, as the wife and I hope to retire within the next couple years and move to Wy. or Mont. We usually spend time in both states every year either hunting or fishing. Our waiting period for LE elk is 5 years. I have 12 points toward a moose and would like to draw that tag before we leave here. My cousin living in Mt. Home has taken some nice Idaho bulls but they have all come from draw areas. That is pretty good that you are lucky enough to have the opportunity to harvest Pope and Young bulls every year there. That is getting pretty hard to accomplish here in Utah, as alot of our units are spike only and the general hunts for any bull really get hammered. We also don't get much for the rut hunts. Our archery Elk hunt opens the last Thursday in August and runs for two weeks. There are a couple units that run longer but they really don't amount to much. All and all congrats on your elk and I'm waiting to get mine back from the Taxidermist, he is currently mounting your new state record Walleye. Have a great day and maybe I'll see you on some of your waters this summer. We usually make one trip at least to Idaho every year to fish Kokanee and bass as well as do some perch jerk'n.[cool]
[signature]
Nice bull there packfan. Sounds like a great "packout" also. Gotta love it when your dealing with such a large animal.
[signature]