Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 piece vs two piece
What are the advantages and diSadvantages of a four piece versus a two?
[signature]
2 piece used to have better action but times have changed and new technology has made the 4 piece actions equal. I now perfer 4 piece because the tubes fit behind the seat of my truck better. they do take a little longer to set up and line up the guides. if you do any hiking or traveling the 4 piece is easier. 4 piece do tend to cost about 10% more.
[signature]
I love my 4 piece. I also have a two piece but my 4 is alittle better rod. I got a 4 piece so I could pack it around easier. Its been so much better. If you have a choice for the 4 piece. It will be equal in quality and better for you.
[signature]
For me, at least a 3 pc. for travel. I have a couple of two piece and they are FANTASTIC (Sage LL and the FAR-N-FINE, plus a bamboo), but I drive a Suzuki Grand Vitara, so the more pieces, the easier.
[signature]
My school of thought is, the more links in the chain the more you have to worry about. I had a friend who snapped his rod yesterday in two places while trying to yank his fly from the tree. The rod was new, and only used once. I felt his pain as he was standing there with this sick look on his face, and half his rod laying in the stream.
[signature]
[black][size 3]The new technology today, it doesn't matter how many pieces. If a rod is going to break for any reason, it doesn't matter if it is one, two, three, four, and so on pieces. There is a ferrul that goes up the middle of the rod making it flex like it is one piece. I am sure trying to yank a fly out of a tree would break any kind of rod.[/size][/black]
[signature]
Ain't the same as a chain. With internal ferrules, it's just as strong or stronger that a lesser piece rod. I've had a Winston LT (5 pc)for years now. It's got internal ferrules and you can't tell it's a multi piece when casting. I did break the tip section once a few years back. 4" down from the tip. Split shot + bad cast = broken tip. Most of my rods 90% I would say are multi piece. I think a 3 or 5 pc it harmonically balanced more than a 2 or 4 pc too.

As for your buddy breaking his rod whether or not it's new or 10 years old, a 2 pc or 6 pc., you NEVER use the rod to pull a fly out of a tree, (never at an angle anyway), or weeds in the water,. You're inviting disaster. Pull straight back and grab the line with you hand-if anything is going to break it should be the tippet. It's a whole lot cheaper. It's too bad it happened.
[signature]
Your friends breaking of the rod was his own fault not the rod. Unfortunatly for him he was not taught how to aim the tip of the rod at the fly and pull straight back. In this method you do not put any bend in the rod and do not take the chance of breaking it. No rod (2 piece or 4 piece) will handle that kind of fight with a tree.
Bummer about your buddies rod,let him know how to fight a tree and this method will also work against a snag on the bottom of the river.
[signature]