Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KOKANEE/TROUT SEMINAR MARCH 14TH
We have had a number of calls/e-mails wanting to have another seminar...and so We have together with Sportsmans Warehouse put together a group whom I am sure will be well worth your time in coming.
I will be there with the New line of Rocky Mountain Tackle products as well as some of the latest stuff from Macks Lure and Phil Pirone, Owner of Pro-Cure bait scents will be on hand to tell us about the latest scent's "Super-Gels" that are on the market, and we will also have Kyle edwards, Flaming Gorge Guide and many others to help in answering questions and helping learn the newest in techniques, Tackle, and presentation.
We want this to be beneficial to all who come and we will have an open forum for alot of question and answers so that all who care to participate will have the oppurtunity.
The BFT family has always been a great group and I hope that we can make this a Success and that we can give everyone......Just the edge that they may need
Look forward to seeing all who can come

Midvale Sportsmans Warehouse
March 14th Wednesday
6:00 pm
[signature]
This sounds like a lot of fun! Last years seminars were very good, and I feel helped me have a more successful koke season! I'm looking forward to this seminar, and the ISE show!

I'll see you there Jared!
[signature]
Jared:

Sounds great, I will be there.

Robert Hunsaker
[signature]
Its on my calendar. I am soooo looking forward to this.[Smile] I need to fine tune my newly developed kokanee skills.
[signature]
are there a lot of koke fisherman on the boards? ive been fishing for them for about 5 years now... although only seriously the last 2 years. (thanks to jared and others for helping me improve! kokeking on the WY board is also a great help, and resourse to us on BFT!)

im curious, how long have you guys been fishing kokes? or, if you havent done it... why not? (although it is addictive and could cut into your time for other species!)

for those who are interested in learning more about kokes... what kinds of questions do you have? this could be a great thread to get some of those questions answered! (dont wait until koke season is already underway!)

talk to ya later, bkidder
[signature]
[#008080]As for myself, I have fished Kokes my whole life. Being from the Flathead Valley, there are numerous lakes there that hold Kokanee. Flathead Lake used to have bazillions of them but those who know better than the masses have destroyed that species from the lake. They are a smaller size than the Kokes at the Gorge though.[/#008080]
[signature]
I started chasing kokes on the gorge almost 20 yrs ago.At that time there was not nearly the interest ,that there is now.Few people knew how to consistently catch kokes back then.I didn't get real serious about leaning how to catch them,until about ten years ago.

One of the first things I did was to stop fishing for them when they went into their spawn. I was seeing to many snagged fish,that were foul hooked .
I thought there has to be a better way then this to catch kokes.
Through lots of trial and error ,I have managed to learn a little about these fish,but I still have a long ways to go before I think like they do.

I 'm very lucky to live as close to the gorge as I do.It has afforded me to spend many hours on the water ,chasing these little silver bullets.One of the best resources for information on kokanee ,has been right here of BFT.
[signature]
I have been chasing them for about 3 years now. Last year was a breakthrough after attending Jared's seminar. Thanks for the help Sockeyeslayer.
[signature]
this sounds like fun! do you guys do a lot of this kind of stuff? ive been fishing kokes for probably 15 years, but i suppose i could stand to learn a new trick or two. i havent been to the gorge since the late 80's, and never koke fished there... just mac trollin'

most of my kokes have come from strawberry and porcupine.

anyways, i'll try to make it to sportsmans that night... sounds like some fun! is there an entry fee or anything?

thanks, gerald
[signature]
No fee.... Just alot of fun and interaction so everybody can participate and learn from each other.... Having Phil Pirone of Pro-cure and Kyle Edwards a Flaming Gorge Resident Guide there will only up the quality of the seminar. We will focus on kokanee....however trout/Lake trout can be covered as well!!
It should be an awesome event and I look forward to meeting and spending some time with all of you.
Jared Johnson Rocky Mountain Tackle/ Radical glow
[signature]
sounds good! i'll see you fella's there!
[signature]
you trolled for macs in the late eighties? ive heard that was the golden age for FG macs!
[signature]
yeah, we donated our share of steel line to the bottom of that lake! caught some nice macs too though. i was just a kid (10-13 yr old range), but still remember those fish that were almost as big as me! i had a hard time reeling them in because i was small, and steel line fishing sucks! i guess thats why i really didnt mind when we stopped going there!

but, the koke pictures ive seen lately have me re-thinking that! have you guys seen the pics of kokes in the Rocky Mountain Tackle gallery? there are other impressive fish too, but the kokes are what really catch my attention! check them out.

[url "http://www.rockymountaintackle.com/photo.php"]http://www.rockymountaintackle.com/photo.php[/url]
[signature]
those pictures are impressive! i didnt know they had updated the picture album there... thanks for sharing the link! if those pictures dont get you ready to go after the kokes, nothing will!
[signature]
yeah, i think i may plan on a trip to the gorge this year too! what areas are best for kokanee? i'll go to the seminar, and im sure i'll ask this question again, but i thought id ask here.

where would a guy start out trying to find the kokes on the gorge? its a big lake! not asking for gps spots, just maybe a general area to get me started.

thanks, gerald
[signature]
Jared gives some great advice on his website worth looking over. [url "http://www.rockymountaintackle.com/tips.php"]http://www.rockymountaintackle.com/tips.php[/url] i'll tell you what i'll be doing this year...

i'll start out early in the season trolling around the pipeline area. i may also try some areas that have produced for me on the utah side. traditionally the biggest kokes come from the wyoming side, but there is some fast action to be had in utah. try the red cliffs area, or around kingfisher island.

later in the season as they start to school up and conentrate at the thermocline more i'll focus on wyoming. anvil draw, marsh creek, and even as far north as big bend will all produce well. pay attention to what areas are getting pressured. this is usually a clear sign that the koke schools are nearby.

cover a lot of water, and pay attention to where others are trolling. be respectful and give them plenty of space, but you can learn a lot by noticing the areas that are getting the most attention from other boats.

also, keep an eye on the utah and wyoming BFT boards, there is always a lot of good information about what is producing lately, and what areas are hot.
[signature]
hey, thanks a lot for the tips. that should help me narrow things down a bit! i think i'll go in may sometime. is that too early? if so, maybe i'll wait and take my days off later.

anyways, thanks a lot for the tips!
[signature]
i definately dont think may is too early, but with kokanee the best action for me comes during the summer. but, may will treat you just fine if youre in the right place at the right time, with the right lure, in the right color, at the right depth, etc, etc!
[signature]
well then, may it is! "right place, right time, etc, etc" that is fishing isnt it! i'll give it a try and see how many of those conditions i can meet at once! probably not too many at first, but i'll learn quick i think!

i'll probably see some of you at the seminar wed night! sounds like its going to be some good fun! will there be rocky mountain tackle there to purchase? i went to sportsmans tonight and they didnt have any that i could find. i saw some other brands of dodgers and stuff, and the employee there recommended some stuff to me. but, i think looking at the rocky mountain website ruined me! the other stuff just didnt look as good, so now i'll wait until i can buy the good stuff!
[signature]
well, tomorrow is the day! i do believe there will be plenty of RMT to buy at the seminar. and, sportsmans will also be carrying it from now on. there will also be plenty at the ISE show, and the website always has everything you need!

should be a good seminar, and also a good ISE!

take care, bkidder
[signature]