Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber Riv. - Month's summary
Summary - I fished the mighty Weber during early Feb. thru early Mar. above Echo, above devil's slide and below Morgan on average of about twice a week. Many were just relaxed outings with Bud (my Golden), not serious fishing. Caught lots of whities, some going in the 19 in. range but caught lots of trout, mostly browns from small to a few in the 18 in range. Below Echo, best presentation was a cased caddis tipped with a wax worm along with prince nymphs. Above Echo, best was prince nymphs. Use a sundry of other flies but best was the prince. Best fishing was above Echo and when the sun was out. Can't wait for small mouth/wiper fishing. Have been reading some posts on some other forums of flies that mimic cray fish. Would like to try some on small mouth. [crazy]Leaky
Leaky , Do you ty you're own flies ? When I fished the Weber all winter I did best on a Brassie ( size 18 ). It has been a while since I have done that also . Prince nymphs were good , but generally caught lots of whiteys on them . I mainly fished around Devils Slide area . Small hares ear and soft hackle orange body was also good . I think orange scuds imitates dead shrimp and did good on them . I also tied up a white scud that seem to work on some days . I caught some descent browns in that area and also big cutts over 20" . I don't know if they are still there but march use to be a killer time if the water didn't turn murky . Just thought I would share some of my experiences on that . Tight lines
[signature]

Sow bugs and red seredipity was the ticket at wanship for us the last two weekends. More browns this year than last. New regs are working.
Remember the weber is artificial only,between Rockport and Echo.
[signature]
Have any of you fished the lower sections of the river? Specifically, through South Weber. I fished it two weeks ago for the first time, but with no luck. I used all the flies you mentioned, but was unable to turn a fin. Could it be that I wasn't getting deep enough? I only had my floating line spool, but I used a couple of small splitshots on the first foot of the leader to try and get the rig a little lower, but with no avail. Thanks for the help.
That section of the river is heavily utilized. Weber State University has an insect project going on down there right now, They also just a established a new paintball range in that area as well. In the years before the toll road addition the fishing was pretty good. I have fished it maybe 2 or 3 times this year with a little luck using a small beadhead. Try to the east, near the mouth of the canyon or near the power station. This area is usually shallow but often holds some nice browns.
[signature]
Hells,

No, don't tie my own flies, probably should! I keep hearing about success with various nymphs in red/orange colors but I just can't seem to connect with them. On an outing above Echo and one below Morgan I tried common haire's ear (brown), red brassie, and red coppers with no success?! The prince seems to far surpass anything I try, don't know why. Many years ago I used orange and brown scuds with good success but no luck the past several years. My theory is if I could tie something similar to a prince with more white or better yet a nymph with about the first third with a thick black head and the remaining portion with a thick (thickness of a wax worm) white material as far down the hook as possible into the bend depicting a curl in the nymph, maybe some wax worm scent, I could kill them. You would think that a caddis larva would work. The all time best has always been (can't use above Echo) a caddis larva with a wax worm!! Am I "off in the night"?

Can't really explain why they go after the prince so much and not go after pheasant tails, haire's ear, etc.

[crazy]Leaky