Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubin' Willard 3-7-07
[cool][#0000ff]If you enjoyed this program, you can own it on DVD for only $1...plus $50 for shipping, handling and popcorn.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Wait until things "liven up" after the water warms. We have much fun.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the update Pat. I've never had any luck at Willard this time of the year and a big eye to the tube, wow, I'm impressed, thanks for sharing.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Once the water temps get about 40 to 42, walleyes go on a brief prespawn feed. If you can find them you can often catch a few. With the warming trend I am guessing that prespawn will last a couple of weeks and then the fish will be moving in to the best available structure to start spawning. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I saw shad at 4-5' on sonar yesterday, and there were some big ones splashing and rolling back in the shallow part of the harbor, along with the carp. I suspect that both walleyes and wipers will be under the shad if you can find any large concentrations of them. I also suspect that there will be a lot of fish in the deeper trenches over off the west side, for those who launch a tube or toon over there or boaters who can get out of the north marina. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The big difference in walleye fishing, this year, will be that there are no exposed rocks for them...just like in the drought years. We will have to look for the gravel bars and other structure around the lake...if there is any.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Should be a lot of smaller males this year...after the good spawn two years ago.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, one of the old timers down there Wednesday told of a 29" 8.5 pound walleye taken recently right in the channel between the two points. Seems they are getting some size in Willard again.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Wow, a 29 inch, 8.5 pound eye is a nice fish for Willard, I haven't heard of one that big in years. Those last two years of high water levels have really paid off with big numbers of bait fish to fatten up the eyes and I bet the wipers too. Might be the reason the wiper record was broken last year, I hope it carries on into this year, maybe someone will catch a new record.[Smile]
[signature]