Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats a Warmouth?
Hey Guys, does anyone know what a warmouth is. Some one on UFF asked if there were any in Utah,I just wanted know what they are.Thanks and keep the the great posts coming.
Tincanfsh
[signature]
[Image: mwarmoth.gif]

Other names: Goggle-eye, warmouth bass

Description

The warmouth is somewhat larger than either rock bass or green sunfish (with which it is often Confused) but very similar otherwise in that it is large-mouthed and heavy-bodied. Adult warmouth are dark, with mottled brown coloration. Ventral areas are generally golden, and males have a bright orange spot at the base of the dorsal fin. Warmouth have three spines in the anal fin, 10 spines in the dorsal fin, and small teeth are present on the Tongue. Lepomis, the generic name, is Greek and means "scaled gill cover." The species epithet gulosus is Latin, meaning "large-mouthed."

[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 3]I'm happy to provide this information (cuz I like looking stuff up) but you can find almost anything on the web. Just type in 'warmouth' in any search engine and you are sure to find something. This info came from a Texas freshwater fishing website but this fish is found in quite a few states apparently. I have not heard of this fish before your post and have never heard of it being in Utah.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Hey HuntN4bass, Thanks for the reply.It sure does look alot like a Rockbass.
[signature]
[cool][#800000][size 2] How big do they get?[/size][/#800000]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][size 3]The biggest state record I could find was 2 lbs. 7 oz. in Florida.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[green][size 2]Have you put your ice fishing stuff away, yet? I just commented on WalleyePaul's Linden post. Deer Creek/Jordanelle are waiting for us...[/size][/green]

[#008000][size 2]Did we go out of business yet?[/size][/#008000]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][size 3]My ice fishing stuff is never really "put away" but then again neither is my bass gear. Those waters may be waiting for us but the water temp needs to come up a bit. [/size][/font]

[font "Garamond"][size 3]You thinking about going up to the show next weekend?[/size][/font]
[signature]
Yeah, Heather wants to try to go thurs afternoon. I wanted to go then anyway. You going to go? Heather will probably flake out. I'm flexible.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][size 3]Go where? Jordanelle? [/size][/font]

[font "Garamond"][size 3]I have this little thing called work. It's harder for those of us who have jobs to do things like fish in the afternoon during the week than it if for those who are unemployed. [laugh][/size][/font]
[signature]
I was talking about the show, silly!

Forget work, we'll start our own fishin' show for da TV.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][size 3]Oh. Please be more specific next time. Nope, definitely not going Thursday. Maybe Friday. Maybe Sunday. Would consider Saturday but want to avoid the cluster. [/size][/font]
[signature]
No Warmouth's in Utah. Not one of your big game fish. Probably not something we want to see in Utah.
[signature]
thanks for hanging awhile with us Tom,

you gotta admit the 'warmouth' sure has a helluva name though !

sm
[signature]
[green][size 2]Tom, if we can have a few more smallmouth fisheries, we wouldn't talk about exotics(lol). I'll look after them if ya need some help. [/size][/green]

[green][size 2]Long live bronzebacks...[/size][/green]

[green][size 2]tommy [/size][/green]
[signature]
TomP.
Are Sacramento perch related to Warmouths?
Fishrmn
[:|]
[signature]