Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay is draining again 3/9
Biked out on the North Dike. they are letting water out again and the lake has dropped at least six inches below the scrape line I made on the outlet cement a couple weeks ago. Wonder what's going on with the "Dam" repair?

Biked 1/2 mile passed where the dike curves more to the south and worked my way back checking depth along the shore. My farthest cast didn't yield more than 5 feet of depth so gave up and biked back to my truck.

Fished the water coming out of the outlet hoping something might be cruisin but nothing. Used both jigs and worms below a bubble.

Drove into the N. Marina and fished the channel until it was too dark to see. Rigged one pole up with a tinie-winie bubble at the end of the line, a night crawler loaded drop shot hook in the middle, and a larger weight further up. This method allowed my worm to suspend about a foot off the bottom. Rigged the other pole with a swim-bait.

The worm rig kept the skunk away. Caught a 1 pound catfish. No takers on the swim-bait. No one else (including 2 boaters) that I talked to had even a bite. I felt pretty lucky to get the one catfish.
[signature]
Thanks for getting out there and checking it out WD, the bay is tough this time of the year but at least you got the one fish. How big would you say the two boats were that were on the lake? WH2
[signature]
WH2:

There were actually 3 boats out but only got a chance to talk to two of them. 2 boats were 12-footers and one looked like a 16-footer. I heard that boat scrape the bottom as it got closed to the ramp.
[signature]
Was watching on the webcam about 1 hr ago and seen a boat get stuck out there,the guys had to jump out and push the boat.
[signature]
I went out thursday and the depth at the mouth of the outlet was 3 1/2'. I moved all over the north end and found many many bad spots for large boats. I had to pull my motor quite a few times while underway. Be careful out there. p.s. caught 1 3# cat and had 3 others on.
[signature]
Welcome to the site Sillyplil and thanks for the visual from the webcam(WC). How big do you think the boat was that you saw on the WC? WH2
[signature]
I would say it was about 19' like a bayliner or something similar.I am sure that had to be cold 2 of them jumped out what looked like to be knee deep water.it wasn't in the marina either.they were left of the channel quit aways. I watched boats all day long and just happened to see this one stuck out there. I was trying to decide whether or not to take my 16' up there. looks like I made my decision. I think I will jus take my 4wheeler somewhere today. I just can't stand not fishing much longer.went to sportsmans yesterday and spent a bunch of $$ hoping that would suffice me but man I can't wait much longer. and thank you for the welcome Wiperhunter.
[signature]
Hey SillyPhil... welcome to the boards! Do you have a tube or pontoon?

I think they will be the best options for fishing Willard this year.
[signature]
Ya ,I have a tube or 2. Just might have to get em pumped up and get out there.I have not used it much since I got a boat,been spoiled I suppose,or would that be called lazy?
[signature]
Boats are a ton of fun too, but I really enjoy tubing more. For me, it's easier to stay on fish from a tube. I am not having to worry about boat control nearly as much, and it helps me to deliver a good presentation.

If you decide to break out the tube, drop me a PM and maybe we an get out somewhere. [Smile]
[signature]
sounds good to me,I may just take you up on that being that I spend a good part of my fishin days by myself,wife is only up for a few hrs of fishing and i can't seem to know when to quit. thanks for the offer.
[signature]
I got a good education about that area were that boat got stuck from the low water years. To get out safely you must go straight out for at least two hundred years before going left or right. There is a big mud flat on the south side of the channel and several rocky islands on the north side of the channel but it is plenty deep if you stay in the center. Good luck to you no matter how you get out there to fish[Wink]. WH2
[signature]
The humps that are out West of the North marina are from dredging the channel a few years ago I think. I can usually make it out by kicking my big motor up and taxing out with my bow mount until I clear them.[cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Good chance that was me one of the boats you seen coming in. I was in my 14 foot tin bin. Just befor dark, I talked to someone fishing the shore on the north side of the chanel as I was coming in. I had been fishing for about an hour and a half out on the west side of the lake. I never got any bites.

The depth, out at the deepest part of the lake, just a ways S-E of the light pole, was 16 feet. I think that when the pond is full, that deepest part is about 25 feet deep. If that is true, the pond is down about 9 feet.[/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850][/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]The water out just a ways from the boat ramp is only 3.5 - 4 feet deep and the depth going through the channel bottel neck is about 8.5 feet deep.[/#002850][/size][/font]
[signature]
Yes that was me cause I remember ya saying you'd been out for an hour. The boat I heard hit bottom came in about 5 minutes after you went bye.

I measured 31 feet out from the light pole when the water was at it's highest a year or so ago. They were going to let out 10 feet but then ended up letting a couple more feet out when they got to 10 ( I was making little scratch marks on the poles that the private boat docks are hooked to). All in all I think they have lowered the lake by 12 or 13 feet.
[signature]
[reply]
To get out safely you must go straight out for at least two hundred years before going left or right. [Wink]. WH2 [/reply]

Dam Curt , I don't have that long to live so I just go like Hell for 500 yards . [Tongue] Highest point I came across today in my boat was a hump just out from the channel about 5' down . Where it is shallow is where you launch and the island . I lost one fish today , We'll call it a eye because that was what I was after . Island is a island and don't get to close because it can get you . Just my skeg this time . [cool] Smoked my transfer case going home . So this trip is going to cost me some .
[signature]
Randy, your a brave guy going fast threw that area. Does the water drop off slowly by the ramp? How far did you need to back into the water to float your boat? Too bad about your transfer case, were you low on fluid or was there some other problem?
[signature]
Here is a pic of the island and I think were they are repairing the Arthur K. Watkins dam .
[signature]
Curt , I only back my trailer to the top of my tires showing , that way I don't get my shoes wet .[Tongue]. I don't need much to get in the water . I bet my boat only sits about 10" in the water but the motor is a different story . Heck there was 10 boat trailers when I arrived about 2:00pm and I seen a big pontoon boat and a nice bassboat out there. Just don't try to dock your boat at the boat docks . I 'm sure I could but I seen quite a few have trouble trying this on the webcam .
Looks like the seal went bad and kicked out the oil all over my boat . She was smoking by the time I got to North Salt Lake . Glad I canceled my trip to the gorge this weekend .
[signature]
Oh yes , before you ask , Water was cool to touch but the fishfinder showed 47.8 for the water temp when I was leaving . Sun was trying to warm it today .
[signature]