Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ice augers!!!
I have a 6 in hand powered auger, I have only used it a couple of times and after those few times, made sure I have keep it covered in cutting oil, Even with a very sharp blade, it seems to take 10 min to cut one hole in 14-18 in of ice. any suggestions on how to speed up the process, except for the obvious of a power auger
[signature]
If it cut O.K. the first couple of holes, I'd say the blades are dull. I have used an 8" for some years now. I find that once in a while I just hit some hard ice (or a beer can or two) and it takes the edge off of my blades in one shot. I usually carry a new set out with me. I found one sharpener that I can use on mine in a pinch, but I still can't get an edge like the new ones. If you know how to sharpen them, try that. If not, get a new set and see if that fixes the problem. Hope it helps.
[signature]
Everyone probably won't agree on this one, but from personal experience I have found that the hand augers with one blade work a little better than those with 2 blades. I experienced this first hand on a recent trip to Fishlake with my brother. He brought a one blade auger that we both bought 3 years ago and had been on many trips but had never had the blade replaced. I brought my new double bladed auger that had only been used once. By the end of the day we both agreed that the older one was a little easier to get through the ice with. Of course, drilling multiple holes with any hand auger is tiring.[crazy] I would also imagine that hitting any obstruction in the ice would dull the blades considerably.
I've only used a one blade auger once. It was one of the old shovel style rounded blade that had been resharpened for 15-20 years. I would have to agree on how much easier it was to use than my double bladed one. The old timer would not part with it either. I tried! Thanks for the memory ruger.
[signature]
Augers will dull really easy if you drill in an old hole, or if you set the blades down on the ice too hard. I have a 8" Mora, with sharp blades I can drill through 12" in about 1 to 2 minutes or less. I usually can get 2 years out of a set of blades and I drill a lot of holes every year. New blades cost about $12 to $14 and are well worth it. I have really good sharpening stones that I sharpen chisels and wood planes with, but I have never been able to successfully sharpen the auger blades.

Most people don't take good care of their augers, they use them for walking sticks, or drop them onto the ice before they start drilling. If possible drill in areas where the snow is untouched, the ice will be slightly warmer and softer under the snow. Sportsman's Warehouse has blades at a reasonable price.

fdg
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Boy, you're not kidding! I work in a machine shop with a tool and cutter section that sharpens tons of stuff but they can't get my auger blades sharp and drill decent again! I've gone to a power auger and you think hand auger blades are expensive. The turbo blades for my 8" Eskimo power auger are $30 a set! OUCH![/size][/font]
[signature]
When I was in the market for my ice auger (hand held) there were basically two models available, a blue one (can't remember the brand) and a black one (Laser brand). The blue model was about $20 cheaper. Most of the fishermen I knew bought the blue model because of the cost savings. I asked the sales clerk what made the $20 difference. He said the black laser model cut quicker. I spent the money and now all my fishing friends leave their blue model back in their trucks when I go along. Last week, it cut through 2 feet of ice at strawberry in about 2-3 minutes. My advice... spend the money when it comes to hand augers. Saves time and a lot of sweat.
[signature]
Thanks for all the advice, I had no idea. When I got my augers, i first bought a 10 in at a liquidation sale when i was in college. It worked but we had to take half the freshman class at westminster to drill one hole. But alot of us went. But I now become more lazy, and want to fish more. So, I have some investing to do now in some equip. I will wait and cont. to use the stuff I got till the liquidation sales here in a few weeks when stores are closing out winter.

Thanks for the help
[signature]
Here's one more thing to keep in mind. Is your auger a brace and bit style (top handle in line with the auger shaft), or is it offset? I've watched more that one newby spin both handles on the brace and bit style, and some have held an offset type like the brace and bit. Watch the shaft, and make sure it is straight up and down, and not wobbling around while you are drilling. It's not that big of a deal on a few inches of ice, but it gets really tough to get through a foot or more.
If all else fails, get some new blades. Nobody can get the exact edge on those things like the guys that make them. You can save your old blades to send to the manufacturer. They used to charge about 5 to 6 bucks a pair.
Good luck.
Fishrmn
[signature]
I am just jelous, i need a gas auger really bad this hand crank deal is really starting to suck. Well probably next year.
[signature]
Hey man - go get ya a dz donuts everyday for about two months and get your weight up to about 260 like me and lean on the drill when your drilling it [Wink] - It'll cut right thru [Smile]
[signature]