Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What a gas!
[Image: 0306covhighgas.jpg][cool]Hey, folks. The price of gasoline is getting rediculous. Who knows where it is going to end? It's likely to impact on the recreational pursuits of a lot of us anglers.

Here's an image from the Phoenix paper this morning. It really ain't FUNNY, but it is humorous.

I am glad my new Outcast runs on "kick power" and not the high priced petrol they sell at the marina.
[signature]
Hey Tube Dude - Its $2.02 a gallon here in Corona Ca. Hey hows that Super Fat Cat working out for you?
[signature]
[cool]I'll finish all of the "add-ons" and take it for it's maiden voyage this weekend. I will be shooting some digital pics of the rod racks, sonar installation, etc.

So far, as I have aired it up and analyzed the construction and features, I am very impressed. The issues I will be addressing on the water will be balanced flotation (for my "plus sized" frame), propulsion efficiency, and possibly how it handles in the breeze.

I just know it has to be a better ride than the twin pontoons of the Kennebec I just retired. The K craft rode high and moved well on the water, with minimum kicking action...until the wind came up. Once it got breezy, my "touch" fishing was pretty much over. I had to expend so much time and energy maintaining position that I could not pay attention to what was happening at the end of my light tackle.

I have already had "field-testing" reports from some of the tubing fraternity in Arizona. They all agree that the Outcast craft, with the pointed bow, is much better in wind and waves than the mini pontoon models of other manufacturers.

My parents lived out in Norco for several years...a few streets to the east of Hamner. Big night on the town was going to Corona or Riverside for dinner. Oh yeah, I lived in Riverside too for awhile. Do you ever go over to the Salton Sea...or the Colorado River? If you are becoming "tubed", we might meet on one of those waters and "hook up".

Last comment: I paid $1.69 for unleaded last night in Mesa, AZ. That's up over 40 cents from about a month ago.
[signature]
Most of the places here in Antioch, CA, have got unleaded at $2.09. The cheapest place I've found was $2.02....yesterday I went to fill up my truck, and there were people actually muttering curse words to themselves as they filled up their tanks...it's gettin' pretty bad...
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Alex. Good to see ya droppin' in. Have you found any bassin' clubs up there yet? And, how about the new waders? Are they gettin ya out on the local ponds? And, how is the boat project coming along?

We would appreciate any reports on the tackle and techniques you are scoring on up there.

And, about those gas stations. Ya might wanna start wearing your flak vests when you are around irate drivers.
[signature]

Hi there SturgeonKid,

I've seen a few websites with boards from bassers and tubers around the bay area. pierfishing.com is pretty cool for info on central and northern california coastal fishing. I've never seen a board so active as that one! It's more like a chat room. ha ha really cool

On the gas thing. Human nature just kills me. If they were spending money on a luxury item or a vacation trip you would never hear them whine and actually be Angry. They seem to resent or hate that they have to pay for the neccessities and want their money to go for toys. They need to grow up. Of course, some never have, had, or will get enough money to live more than hand to mouth. For those, I feel badly.

tsurikichi
[signature]
Yeah im right off 6th street here in corona, so i know Norco real well. I have never fished the Salton Sea, but i have fished the Colorado river, usually Cottonwood cove with limited success. Hey when you get those pictures of your rig, send them my way. Id love to see your Fat Cat all tricked out.

JAMartin
[signature]
I'll start a new thread, post pics and do a preliminary review...JUST FOR YOU. Of course anyone else can read it too.

Did you get your next two installments okay?
[signature]
[size 1]Hey Tube Dude...[/size]

[size 1] Well, I still haven't quite had the time to do much looking into getting into some bass clubs here yet. Man, I thought that I would have all sorts of free time on my hands once I moved here to CA!! LoL. Apparently not. Each week just seems to be filled with some new surprise. Right after I finally felt better from bein' sick, I got my wisdom teeth pulled out on Friday. My school teacher is also loading me up with 2x the normal amount of work each week she says so she can try and get me out of and done with high school nice and quick. Which will be nice. LoL. And now I've got prom this weekend to go to. I also just had a birthday two days ago...the big 18. WooHoo. I feel like an old decrepid man now. [/size]

[size 1] Anywho, with the bit of fishing I have been able to squeeze in every other day (usually no more than 2 hours at a time), the waders have been working just great! Thanks for the recommendation. I just throw on an extra pair of sweatpants and a couple pairs of socks, and I stay purty warm the whole time. As for the fishing itself, it's been interesting. I keep having to establish a different pattern on each trip it seems like. One day it's flippin' the tules, next day crankin' rocks, next day bladin', next day c-riggin' the points...it's crazy! And it's not like I've got all day to sit and figure out the pattern, so half the time I don't even get one figured out and then when I do, it's only for about the last 30 minutes that I am out there. The last time I went out though, I figured a pattern out pretty quick like and stuck 10 good largemouths in an hour and a half. I was throwin' a Pointer minnow along some rocks and they were just goin' nuts on it for some reason.[/size]

[size 1] Also, I will make sure to get some shots of me and some float tube fish in my rig the next time I go out to post up here on the board. [/size]
[signature]
I read the installments, and they are great - hehehe got any more? [Wink]
[signature]
[purple][size 2]Hey Kid, you got to Antioch HS? I use to know the baseball coach there. Plus, Methinks my younger brother works there in town. [/size][/purple]

[#800080][size 2] Hey Pat, how's the camera working out? What day do you think you'll get the pics posted of your new ride? I saw diesel today going $1.76 a gallon. One year, I only fueled my boat three times. Just about killed the trolling motor though(bow mounted), this was during my Strawberry days. Thats before catchin' the bassin fever. I still try to take my tube up to Strawberry on either Memorial day or the fourth of july. [laugh] Back to work in ten days! yippy[/size][/#800080]
[signature]
[cool]Yo, Mr. Gun. Camera works great, but so far just for practice shots around the yard and some desert wildflowers. It's a lot more camera than I need, but I will be shooting lower resolution stuff for fishing and posting. I am very happy with the quality even when I leave it on "point and shoot", without any fancy adjustments.

I should have some pics up by Sunday afternoon. Got some family stuff (parents 57th anniversary) part of the weekend, but I will definitely float my boat before it's over.

Happy you are becoming mobile again, but too bad you have to celebrate by going back to work. I always said that work was the single greatest interference with my fishing schedule.

Gas jumped another 8 cents the last two days in Phoenix...$1.77 for unleaded...at the cheap stations. But better than two bucks in California.
[signature]
Hey tomegun...

No, I don't go to Antioch HS. Since I just moved here halfway through my senior year, I'm just doing packets with Prospects HS to finish off my high school credit. It just makes things a lot easier.
[signature]
I paid 2.65 per gallon here the other day.

my only fishing trips for now will be walking to the end of my road and casting off shore.
[signature]