Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Recon 3-12-07
[cool][#0000ff]It started out with me and Flycasting planning one of our little tubing trips. Afore ya knowed it we got us a floatilla goin' for tomorrow. What's more, I been drafted to do some filletin' and fryin'. That puts a lot of pressure on a guy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So, because I takes my responsibilities serious, I cancelled all of my important tasks for the day...including golf with GW...and trucked TubeBabe up to Willard to make sure there was still some fish in it. There are 11 fewer catfish this afternoon.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hit the water about 7:15. Barely getting light. Wanted to sneak up an a couple of willing wallies. Air temp 40, water temp 44...5 degrees warmer than last Wednesday at daybreak. That's goin' the right direction.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Frothed the water all the way out the channel with various plastics. One bump, no hookups. As I got out past the channel opening, and it got lighter, I could see carp across the entire surface of the mirror calm lake. There were individuals, doubles and large groups, all up sucking on the surface. Didn't stop to play with any of them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I kicked into deeper water, I pinned a minnow on the red hook I had tied onto my bait rod and sailed it out. A couple of minutes later the line snapped out of the paper clip line holder and streamed off the open bail reel. I waited the right amount of time, closed the bail, set the hook and game on. First kitty in the basket by 7:45. Had another by 8. Looked like it would be a bananner day. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I had four fish before TubeBabe finally scored her first about 8:30. She got the first last time and that was the only one she got. First fish jinx. Didn't work on me. I ended up catching about a dozen small cats from 13" to 17". Just right for the table. I kept my 8 and TubeBabe finished with 3.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If the water warms a couple more degrees by tomorrow, it should be gangbusters for the floatilla.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Stats: Almost all of our bites came in 8-10.5 feet of water. They were deeper than last week. the good news is that there are many acres of water off the north marina that are just the right depth. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Saw lots of fish on the sonar today. I suspect that some were non-munching wipers. Lots of shad at middepth. Also saw quite a few schools of midsized fish that were probably crappies. Didn't even try for them but they should be hitting for the right presentation.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Ha. There was only one boat on the lake today. But, wouldn't you know it. With the whole lake to play in, he ran right over TubeBabe's two lines she was trailing out behind her. Not thirty feet away... but moving slowly. That made it okay.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The bite absolutely shut off at noon. fished another hour without a touch. Water temp had risen to 48 as we cruised into the channel. Air temp was over 60. The snow is disappearing fast from the mountains and the trees are starting to pop their leaf buds. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bring spring. I'm more than ready. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Awesome report and glad to hear we might have some action tomorrow.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Shore lunch? Shore nuff.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the report. And glad to here it is getting better than last week. FG check you PM's
[signature]
Thanks for the report!! Bet you wish you had your rocket launcher with you today. I think some boaters are just attracted to a pretty lady on a float tube.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Actually, they were coming back into the marina, but they could have swung way around behind her when they saw she had her lines out. Boaters just don't believe that tubers are serious fishermen or that they deserve any respect. I doubt they would have cut so close to someone fishing from a large boat.[/#0000ff]
[signature]

[signature]