Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Murrells Inlet Fishing Report
I talked to my buddy Tom from Inlet Convenience and Fishing Supplies there in Murrells Inlet (843-651-5054) and the fishing is really picking up. The black drum are in the creeks. They are being caught using live shrimp in the deep holes. Sheepshead are being reported caught at the inshore reefs and along the jetty walls using fiddler crabs. Also, red drum are being caught along the jetties, reefs, and in the creeks. Flounder fishing is picking up by drifting mud minnows in the creek or on the inshore wrecks.

The way the air temp has been staying up, the water temp will get into the mid to high 60's in no time. With that said, the king's will be making thier way up the coast. I was looking at some of the post from our comrads down in florida, and the spring migration has already begun. I have a feeling we'll start seeing tight schools of mullet early this year.

Start looking for the Spanish Mack's right around the end of May and begining of June. I'll make sure everyone know's when they are here. [Wink]

I haven't heard anything on the Black Sea Bass lately, but i'm sure they're on the reefs. I'd suggest a 1oz white spro prime bucktail with a squid strip worked slowly on the wrecks. Make sure you take plenty with you, if you get in a bad spot, expect to have a few break offs. Even a drop rigg will work OK. If you find yourself catching smaller fish, give your reel a few cranks. Usually the bigger fish will hang out above the smaller ones.

Good luck guys and gals!

Bryan D.
[signature]
Hey thanks for the Murrells inlet fishing report Bryan, it sounds like the fishing will be hot in no time and i'm glad to hear it. I plan on getting my first king mac this year so i'm excited to hear that they are on the move. keep me posted as they get close. I also was wondering about what month the tarpon show up to the murrells inlet area? and how often do they come in close enough to take them from the piers?
[signature]
You start seeing Tarpon more in the Mid summer. They migrate up the coast from FL. Tarpon are one of those fish that are "by chance" in SC. It's really difficult to target them versus somewhere like Florida. They can be found in Winya Bay from time to time, but off a pier, it's by chance.

Believe it or not, Tarpon are one of the fish I don't want to hang from a pier. Why? Well, there are a couple reasons. First, they aren't any good to eat. Next, it's aweful hard to land a fish from a pier and not kill it, atleast a large fish. Unless you just cut the line. But then, you've got 30 yards of fishing line hanging out of his jaw. Thus, you've basically killed it anyhow. Sure you could beach it, but the chance of reviving a large tarpon in the surf after a long fight is very low.

Now from a boat is a different story. I've had quite a few hooked on my boat just drifting a live bait out at the reef. They are fair game on a boat because they can the landed and safely put back in the water to live another day.

Personally, about as good as it gets for me is a big shark. Those things are fun. Shark fishing is illegal from the piers in Horry county, but perfectly legal in a boat or in Georgetown county from the bank. [Wink]
[signature]
[cool] nice sheepie what pier were you fishing
[signature]