Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
shades
you guys are closer to the surf ( and the equator ) and with all that reflective sunlight hitting you all day , what do you concider to be the best all around shades to wear ? i want to get something thats not going to leave me half blind when i take them off , any sugestions ?
[signature]
[cool]Like most aspects of fishing, protective eyewear is a matter of personal choice. I have tried a bazillion different kinds of sunglasses over the years. It seems like the most expensive ones jump into the water or get sat on in the car within days of purchase. The cheaper ones last until they fall apart or get so scratched up I can't see out of them.

A few observations from experience, and from "readin' up" on the subject. One...any protection is better than none. Two, you do not need welders' glasses to totally block out the sun. Three, glass lenses hold up better, and don't scratch, but are subject to breakage. Four, polarized lenses are best for helping you look through the surface glare and see bottom structure and fish. Five: Grey lenses allow you to see things in a more "natural" light, with less color distortion. Six: Amber lenses are excellent at cutting glare on slightly overcast days, and from reflective surfaces...but they do distort natural colors more than grey.

My biggest thing in looking for sunglasses is finding frames that are comfortable and that will stay put...even when I perspire. Glasses that need to be constantly adjusted are a bother and are more likely to slip off and dive overboard while you are occupied with a fish. But, do not buy molded plastic frames that fit snugly along the side and over the bridge of your nose. If you are warm, on cool days, your glasses will keep steaming up from condensed water vapor that cannot escape around the edges.

With the new styles being toward thin and "cool", it is difficult to find a good pair of fishing glasses...unless you shop where they sell fishing or boating accessories. Your eyes need protection not just from the light that comes through the lenses, but also the indirect and direct sunlight that comes in over the top or from the sides of the glasses too. Some of my favorite fishing glasses have featured a wraparound design that either had lenses on the side, or blocked out light all together. Those are not good for driving though, because they wipe out your peripheral vision.

Another useful purchase is a "lanyard" for attaching to the ends of the frames and going around your neck. They can salvage a costly (or favorite) pair of glasses if they slip off.

Like most things in life, glasses are something that you usually get what you pay for. It is hard to justify spending half a car payment for a pair of fashionable designer sunglasses...and you don't need to in order to get good eye protection. But, below a certain point, you will be buying only a simple light filtering system, and you will probably not appreciate the full benefits you would enjoy from investing a bit more. I have always been fond of the saying "It's better to spend a little more than you wanted, than not quite enough."
[signature]
thanks tubedude , i have 20/200 vision [pirate], needless to say i have to take real good care of the one good eye , i bought some inexpencive ambers last year , but they just wern't getting it . i started feeling like i had night blindness on the drive home [laugh]. it's not a good feeling with deer and amish buggys shareing the roads . i guess the u.v. protection wasen't up to par . i was planning on getting a better pair , your advice is as sound as ever . [Wink]

thanks . polarized , grey , glass , wraparounds[cool] . i can finally get rid of these plastic buddy hollys i've been sporting [crazy].

your pal , lonehunter
[signature]

Hey there lonehunter,

You should know me by now.... always something to add! ha ha

The good news is I have two eyeballs, the bad news is that they are getting more like yours. Last year my perscription was old so I didn't have a pair made when I found a company that would do perscription, UV, polarized, amber glasses at a flyfishing show. I have regretted it since! If you go to fishing shows, especially flyfishing shows (can you believe it? they think flyfishers have over 5 bucks in their pocket at any given time!), you may get lucky and find someone to do it IF you have your perscription handy. Every show I've been to since didn't have this service. Huuum does that say something?

Anyway, just a thought.

JapanRon
tsurikichi
[signature]
YES MY FRIEND I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN , A REGULAR OPTOMITRIST WANT'S A WHOLE MONTHS SALARY FOR JUST THE LENSES , HE FORGETS SOME OF US HAVE WIVES AND KIDS , US HUSBANDS AND FATHERS HAVE TO SACRIFISE CERTIN THINGS LIKE MONEY , OLD GIRLFRIENDS AND EXPENSIVE BEER , INSTEAD WE GET POCKET CHANGE , MEMORIES , AND KOOL-AID, OUR REWARD ? FISHING WHEN WE WANT TO GO , NOT A BAD TRADE AT ALL !

IF I SEE THAT GLASSES MAKER AT ANY OF THE SHOWS , I WILL GET THE INFO FROM THEM AND SEND IT TO YOU .

YOUR PAL LONEHUNTER
[signature]
[cool]Save the Buddy Holly's for your trip to Arizona. You'll blend right in with the locals...especially the "snowbirds" from your part of the country. Just be sure to wear a pair of plaid walking shorts, a pink shirt, brown dress shoes and black socks (white socks optional). That should complete your "camo" attire.

Just don't go up to Lake Havasu, on the Colorado river. You always get severe eye strain up there, and it ain't because of the sun's glare off the water. It's a favorite playground for the "rich and ridiculous" kids from both Arizona and California. They all seem determined to compete for how little they can wear and how much they can get away with on their fancy boats, party barges and houseboats. Some coves, during spring break and other times, are wall to wall boats...tied off to each other...each with numerous dancing and cavorting bodies all trying to end up on a "Wild Girls" video.

That kinda stuff messes up the fishin sumthin fierce. Who can concentrate on fishin with all that distraction goin on. It would probably wipe out your good eye too.
[signature]
LOL, oh yea , dressed like that i'de have to stick to fishing ! they don;t care what you look like !

you don't think the gals would go for these pastey white leggs and my big six inch gardner snakes ( wrestlers have the pythons , i have gardners for arms) ! ,

i'll have you know most wemen think i'm drop dead gorgeous ! i ask them if they think i'm handsom , and they tell me to drop dead !
[signature]
here is a site who not only makes sunglasses for fisherman but make perscription-wear as well.

I am recomending this company because they have a quality produce at reasonable prices.

[url "http://www.fishermaneyewear.com/"][#0000ff]Fisherman Eyewear[/#0000ff][/url] <--- web site Fisherman Eyewear is the worlds leading supplier of polarized fishing glasses. From value priced acrylic lenses to high performance polycarbonate, Fisherman Eyewear has a frame and lens combination to cover your every need. ... Copyright © 2001-2002 Fisherman Eyewear. Questions or Comments : webmaster@fishermaneyewear.com ...
[url "http://www.fishermaneyewear.com"]www.fishermaneyewear.com[/url]
[signature]

Hi davetclown,

Thank you for the information and the recommendation. I know I can trust the advice of guys like yourself here on the boards.

Again, thanks

JapanRon
[signature]
thanks dave , trying to tie a hook on at arms length is a little difficult
[signature]
[cool]You can use my arms. They're pretty long.
[signature]
then i'de look like pop-eye the salor !
[signature]