Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Al Carpone and the Rock Star
[cool][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][#0000ff]TubeBabe and I met up with mojorising and flygoddess down at Lincoln Beach this morning. We got on the water a bit before they did, thanks to some errors in the directions I sent them. I already had a white bass, a carp and a 23 inch cat by the time they launched. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Tubebabe had headed down the lake and she was fishin' fer serious fer them kitties. I more or less quit at one and "hooked up" with the newbies, who had never fished Utah Lake with their flyrods before and were looking to learn a bit about it. I steered them toward the warmer shallow cove to the south of the dikes. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was throwing plastics and banging little white bass. I also got to tussle with a couple of carpkind. Even had a bullhead cat on briefly, on a black plastic.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Flygoddess got them dialed in and had several hits and a couple of fish on (and off) before bringing in her first big flyrod carp. She liked it. Then she proceded to land two or three small rocks in a row. We dubbed her a rock star.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Finally she started whipping a new glass rod that had just been made for her and hooked into a big ol' buglemouth that acted like a bonefish...zinging line off the reel. She did a fine job of whuppin' it and posed for pics. Mojo (her husband) decided they should name the new rod Al Carpone.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Mojo was having a good time wavin' the long rod, and had quite a few hits, but the only slime he got on his hands was from one of the pesky five inch "walleye chow" white bass that were hanging out in those shallows.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe did score a couple of kitties in the far flung reaches. One was 18" and 2.5 pounds. The other was 20 inches and 3.3 pounds. Both together did not add up to her smallest on Friday. But, there was a lot of (helpful) boat traffic today and we supposed there was even more yesterday. That usually slows down the kitty action in the shallows.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Water temp was 49 at launch and 53 when we got off the water about 1. Light southerly breezes early, then calm, then a northerly breeze. As is customary at LB, when the north breeze comes up, the fish clam up.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I had met Mojo before, at meetings for the Stonefly Society, but this was our first meeting with Flygoddess. Much fun. Hope you guys enjoyed it more than working next week.[/#0000ff]
[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22644;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] READY TO RUMBLE.jpg [/#333366][/url](188 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22645;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] JUST TROLLIN' THROUGH.jpg [/#333366][/url](296 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22646;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] MOJO IN FREESTYLE.jpg [/#333366][/url](311 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22647;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] FULL CONCENTRATION.jpg [/#333366][/url](261 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22648;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] GODDESS AND MOJO.jpg [/#333366][/url](329 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22649;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] PIECE OF THE ROCK.jpg [/#333366][/url](264 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22650;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] BUGLEMOUTH BROWN.jpg [/#333366][/url](399 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22651;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] FAMBLY FOTO.jpg [/#333366][/url](327 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22652;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] EARLY WHITIE.jpg [/#333366][/url](245 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22653;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] YEARLING CARPLET.jpg [/#333366][/url](287 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22654;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] WALLEYE CHOW.jpg [/#333366][/url](274 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22655;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] TD'S 23 INCHER.jpg [/#333366][/url](256 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22656;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] TB'S TWO KITTIES.jpg [/#333366][/url](365 KB) [/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Nice report...At least someone was catching fish today. (I was doing laps around the lake and finding out the hard way that the fish did not want to surrender)

I can't wait to catch a few of those White Bass in April, been many years since I have got into those little buggers.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sorry you did not score much today. Things should only get better from here.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]While April and May are prime for whities, the water is warming quickly and the whities are getting active already. They were really whacking the jigs today, which tells me I need to break out the spinners. They really like small silver spinners...especially with a bit of worm on the hook.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Tube Dude. Glad the picture of me and the Boy and the one of the Fambly turned out, cause Mojo got home to look at pictures and NATTA![/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I found two things today that I LOVE! CARP (the other white meat) and Kittie Fritters. TD shared some of his little breaded Cat bites and OH MY G! those things are nummie.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Being sick for a week and finally get meds for it yesterday, I SOOO needed today.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I have a new quest....I want Carp.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I swear that rock fought! Really! But I kept it to mount[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Thanks so much for a fantastic day![/size][/black]
[inline "Utah Lake 2007 001.jpg"]

[inline "Utah Lake 2007 500 003.jpg"]
[signature]
[reply]
[#0000ff] They were really whacking the jigs today, which tells me I need to break out the spinners. They really like small silver spinners...especially with a bit of worm on the hook.[/#0000ff][/reply]

What size spinners? 1 or 2? Or maybe even a 0? I need to stock up on some. You say silver? How about the red and white Mepps? (I am sure you most likely make your own Smile

FG: Plenty of warm water fishing in these parts if you ever find yourself out on tour or anything [Smile]
[signature]
So were they stingy or did they let you try the H-3's . what do ya think of them rides
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I probably use size two blade on my spinners more than any others. When they are active, it doesn't matter much and I know guys that throw larger #3's and still do well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'm attaching a pic of some of the various kinds of spinners I make. Also some of the paint jobs I use for the blades.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sometimes just a plain old all silver spinner works as well as anything for whities. At other times you can get more whacks with a fancier model.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The red and white combo is usually good. And, Roostertails have some great colors too...like hot pinks, fire tigers, etc. It pays to have a few different colors for those days when they have a special preference. It is also good to have them in different weights too. Usually the fish are at least 5 to 8 feet deep but sometimes they are deeper and sometimes they are shallow, over rocky structure.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Didn't get a chance to get in the Saddle of one. Mojo launched a bit later than I did, and from a different launch spot. We met out on the water. It would have been a bit tricky trading rides in six feet of water. Not quite as easy as switching drivers while a car is on the freeway.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I have had a chance to look at the Freestyle up close and personal at the ISE show too. I spent some time at their booth and talked with Dave Scadden. Then, after seeing the way they float and handle (thanks Mojo), I am more convinced that this is my ride for the future. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I am in the process of dickering with Dave about some kind of "professional courtesy" arrangement to pick up a couple for me and TubeBabe. Her only concern is that they don't come in pink. SHEEEEESH.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Joni, I was happy about several things yesterday. First, my order for good weather got through okay. It was really nice, except for the north breeze that kicked up later.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Second, it was great to finally meet you. As I mentioned, I had already "experienced" your old man, but yesterday was our first meetup on the water. Won't be the last.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Third, I was elated that we could find a few Utah Lake denizens that agreed to sample your little feathery creatiions. I used to fish a lot with my warm water patterns, but have never showed those fish anything that looked like real food.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Fourth, I really chortled and guffawed when you found out that them ugly carpinskis pull good...and you actually liked them. I love it when I see a troutaholic fall from grace and come over to "the dark side". I have never been able to understand how some fly flingers are so caught up in the "religion" of fly rods and trout that they cannot open their minds to pursuing other species. More and more serious long rodders are discovering carp, but alas, many still languish in the pits of purity.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Fifth, I just knowed you'd like them fried kitties, but I was glad that you "lit up" when you tasted them. Also glad that the old man pronounced his approval. As I told you, they are sooooo much better hot out of the pan. We will definitely make sure you guys are invited to our next "catch and cook" session. We have much fun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lastly, I was especially happy that you were on the mend enough to be able to get out on the water. Bein' sick ain't no fun. Fishin' is good therapy, even if it don't kill germs.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Alright! This is the fishin' trip I've been waiting for! The highlight of the spring. The big matchup between the Fabled Flyrodders and the Super Spinning Catfish Duo. And it proved to be all I expected. A matchup of Titans. Thanks for the report. I only wish it weren't so far to drive or I would have been out there on the water with you all - takin' pictures if nothing else.

And Ah! Carp. FG, you slipped over to the dark side for just a bit, didn't you? You found out what kind of a flyrod quarry those Golden Bones can be. Your comment, "I have a new quest....I want Carp" is a classic. That's the way it hit me, too, and I haven't been able to shake it since. Just remember that those fish will only get hotter as the water warms. Those long runs that take you well into your backing are more a summer thing. They're a bit sluggish yet in the cold water.

(You guys who are shaking your head from side to side as you read this, just go over and lie down in the corner.)

Anyway, great report. We all hope to see a rematch one day soon.

z~

[size 1][/size]
[signature]
[cool][#0000bf]Hey Z, I expected you to weigh in on this one. As Joni was gettin' smacked around by those carps I was thinking how proud you would be of her.[/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]She asked the question "Do these things always take line off the reel?" I assured her that it only gets better/worser when they warm up a bit and get some energy. In another month or so we will have to take her to the hospital after a carpfest...to set the grin surgically removed from her face.[/#0000bf]
[signature]
Hey flygoddess. It's good to see that you had a little fun. Don't let those guys make you think that you lowered your standards.

Actually those are not carp (Wink, Wink). Those are what you call genuine Hillbilly Trout. Yup indeed thats what we call them in the boondocks. But then again I don't Trout fish that much but I do alot of Bass fishing. So I call them Bugle Mouth Bass. That keeps me within my Standards[cool]
[signature]
[reply]
[cool][#0000bf]Hey Z, I expected you to weigh in on this one. As Joni was gettin' smacked around by those carps I was thinking how proud you would be of her.[/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]She asked the question "Do these things always take line off the reel?" I assured her that it only gets better/worser when they warm up a bit and get some energy. In another month or so we will have to take her to the hospital after a carpfest...to set the grin surgically removed from her face.[/#0000bf] [/reply]

TD,

You have it all right. I'm amazed at how flyfishers will pay thousands of dollars to go to the bonefish flats and yet will ignore and resist the fabulous "bonefishing" right under their noses in their local lakes and rivers. The flyfishing purists around here in my area have a mental block about it. They'll chase 10 inch trout with passion but turn their noses up at the prospect of 10 pound (and larger) carp. Then again, so did I. But not any more.

A ten pound trout is a fish of a lifetime for many flyrodders. A ten pound carp is a regular occurance. "But who would want to fish for those things?" someone asks. Go figure.

[cool]And you're right about needing to surgically remove the grin.

I did get out for a few hours on Saturday at a local carp lake. I found that they were very spooky about my tube, even when I was ulta careful in trying to stalk them. Also, the low-to-the-water position didn't allow me to see them as well as stalking in the shallows. It's a small lake so the results might be different in a big water situation. I dunno. I may need to use the tube for transporting to the spots and then get out and walk along the shore.

z~
[signature]
[size 1]Whoa! FG. Glad to see you're recovered. You're busting carp! On a fly rod!!! That's impressive. Wait 'til you get one that will dance for you. I haven't had it happen often, but the first time one does, it's something to behold. [/size]
[signature]
FG glad to here you are kicken the gomboo. And it looked like you all had fun. Look forward to see'n you and Mojo out on the water again.
[signature]
A couple friends of ours, both work at the fly fishing shop at Cabelas in Lehi, are huge carp fishing fans. As a matter of fact they're both on the US Fly Fishing Team. Not such a small feat either. Ryan Barnes and Lance Egan. Lance has won 2 gold medals in the ESPN Outdoor games in fly fishing a few years back. So if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for anyone. Right Z?
Hey JC, you just don't know what you're missing.[Tongue]
[signature]
Mojo,

Amen Bro. I saw Lance Egan on TV awhile ago. Very impressive dude.

The carp fly fishing word is getting out.

z~

P.S. Too bad your camera wasn't working.
[signature]
Lance and Ryan are two down to earth guys that are always willing to help out.
As for the camera, it was working. I just have to learn to delete my pictures. I only have a 128m card in mine. It was filled up.[cool]
[signature]
Glad to hear the camera wasn't broken. I've done the same thing - gone fishing with a full card. Often I can delete a few by paging through them - just in case I encounter a situation I must photograph. In fact that plan works well for me since I make a lot of dumb photo mistakes.

That H3 looks very nice.

z~
[signature]
[#0000ff]to pick up a couple for me and TubeBabe. Her only concern is that they don't come in pink. SHEEEEESH.[/#0000ff]

5 bucks for a can of spraypaint and she woud'nt know the diff
[signature]