Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard bay Saturday
yes we did get out on Willard but it was like after 2pm. It was really nice and the lake was like almost glassed out. We trolled some, threw some grubs with and without cut bait. Didn't get a bite. No fish arches on the sonar but I think they are hugging the bottom. Fished the drop off along the north dike. I hooked and lost one using grubs. Trolled our way back to the north marina and occasionally graphed a fish. Again I think they are glued to the bottom. We had no problem launching but there is something in the channel out in the lake we went over it and I think it would snag a prop on an outboard. Need to drift south as one goes out the channel. The wake board folks showed up too. I cant imagine Willard will be real popular after Pineview opens up with the wake board folks. Lots of shallow water. We went down to the island and poked around. I wouldn’t recommend it as it was real un even on the bottom. lots of stuff sticking up and with the murky water and all you cant see what is in front of you. Real easy to run aground and get stuck. I tried going between the island and the south marina and ended up going back because I kept getting into water less than 2 foot. Water would turn real muddy coming out the jet drive. We didn’t want to have to go wadeing in that cold muddy water. I think there is tons of spawning habitat around the island but the fish are going to need that extra water when they can get it to keep the whole lake from cooking this summer. Dan
[signature]
I see you did get out, too bad the catching wasn't better but that is the norm for Willard this time of the year. When the water temp gets into the sixties we should see some improvement. What was the water temp on Saturday?
[signature]
The highest reading was 51 but most of the lake was 48-50. you see my other post. Nice Baldy
There is also a lot of fish activity on the surface this morning.
[signature]
Reelfast , I wonder if you were right next to me when I was there around 2 saturday . I was in a older Crestliner Fishhawk 16 . I spoke with someone with a jet drive boat with a full cover before I launch at the boat prep area . I spill fuel all over my hands after a fuel line fix . I did hook one 17" kitty on a spinner rig and worm . I was reading water temps from 51* in 12 FOW out by the Light pole and 59*in 4 FOW out in front of the south marina .
[signature]