Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Muzzleloader
Well, I finally bought a muzzleloader this weekend at the ISE. Decided on the TC Omega in the 50 cal. I went to Cabela's after hitting the show and dropped another $100 on all the little "possibles".. Talk about gizmo's and gadgets! I'm just dyin' to get out and shoot it now!
[signature]
how long a barrel? im looking at one as well. from what ive lernd im going with a 28 inch.
[signature]
I'll have to check on the barrel length, however I think it is a 28"..
[signature]
Sounds like a nice new toy. Nothin' like putting some slugs down range with the smoke pole!
[signature]
This will be a completely new experience for me. I'm sure I'll be throwing some questions out there to you seasoned vets.[cool]
[signature]
The wife and I both shoot the TC Omega in .50 cal. And we really like ours. I have been shooting Power belts with 100 grs. of Tripple seven powder and Winchester 209 primers. I shoot open sites and the wife shoots a 1X TC scope. They are both very accurate out to 100 yards. I have never shot any farther than that so I couldn't tell you how accurate that load is beyond that range. We shoot consistant 3 in. groups off a rest at that range.
[signature]
Wow, 3 inch groups at a 100 yards is awesome. I'm going to start out with 100gr of triple 7 and a 250gr sabot and see how it shoots. I've heard going the full 150 grains of powder isn't a good thing with sabots as they have a tendency to blow out with such a large powder charge behind it. I too am going to shoot open sights. I've used the 1x scope before on my shotgun and didn't like it. It kinda felt like I was looking down a paper towl tube or something. I can see much better with open sights. Are you right on at 100yards?
[signature]
I sighted mine in to be right on at 100 yards. I think you will find the Sabots are hard to load after several shots especially for a woman. The Power belts seem to load much easier. I have taken two deer with the Power belts inside of 50 yards and haven't put a bullet clean through either animal. I have tried the TC ShockWave sabots in 250 gr. and they shoot just as well, but I haven't shot an animal with one yet to see how they perform, maybe this year in Wy. They also get hard to load after a couple shots. I'm fairly new at the muzzle loader hunting so I'm still learning and listening to other hunters. I know a few people that hunt with the Omega's and haven't heard anyone bad mouth them yet. They are fun to shoot and I was just as thrilled with my first buck (White Tail) taken in Wy. a couple years ago as I was with my first Bow Kill (Mule Deer buck). Have fun this summer with it and good luck this fall.[cool]
[signature]
Great choice! I purchased mine last year and I love it. Did you get the Instructional DVD with it? That DVD is really helpful and has some great hunting film on it too. If you didn't get it let me know and I can get you a copy of it, it's a must for every TC omega owner.
[signature]
My uncle just bought one about a month ago and he kept telling me to make sure it comes with the DVD. When I picked out the gun the salesperson said it didn't come with the DVD. I was a little diappointed but chose to buy it anyway because the price was so good. However, when I got home and started digging around in the box, there it was. After watching most of it I realized how important and informational it was. I feel like I can go out and shoot now, but before the dvd I was a little aprehensive.
[signature]
Yeah, I felt the same way. The video was done really well and it has some really cool hunts on it too. Congrats on the purchase! Have fun and good luck hunting.
Hookjaw
[signature]
I have the same gun as well. Last year I bought some of that Amercican pioneer powder that Jim Shockey uses. It is supposed to be better on the non fouling part( I have only fired a few shots with it). If you want to try some out maybe we could get together and go to the range. The 777 is good as well, that's what I shoot in my other gun.
[signature]
Sure thing, i'd like to get out and go shoot with ya sometime. That Jim Shockey sure has killed alot of different game with his TC. You live in the Ogden area don't ya? I live fairly close to Petty.
[signature]
Up until recently he actually use to shoot A Knight muzzle loader, now he promotes TC. Primos boys also changed from PSE bows to Bear bows this past year. I'm sure it all has to do with sponsors on what they shoot. [cool]
[signature]
Yeah I do live by you. I live over by the Flying J on washington.

Packfan- Its all about the money with those guys. I heard the Primos guys swithced because Pete Shepley of PSE would only do a year to year contract and they wanted a long term deal so Bear jumped at the chance. The bears have come along way over the last couple of years. Same with TC they build some very good rifles now days and I think they are one of the simpelest muzzleloaders to use out there.
[signature]