Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Furled Leaders
I've never given my leaders much thought I've always used tapered leaders that come in those single pouches but recently Ive come across a few articles that say these furled leaders are the best thing since sliced bread...

Any opinions ?

[Image: leaderpic.jpg]
[signature]
Thumbs up !!!!!!!!!
[signature]
[black][size 4]I make my own, Have for years. Uni thread 6/0 is the best. They lay down so purdy. Gink to float and Xink to sink. How easy is that. If you can keep the wind knots out, they will last for years.[/size][/black]
[signature]
"[size 4]If you can keep the wind knots out, they will last for years.[/size][size 1] "[/size]

And keep it out of the trees. Furled leaders are a pain to unravel from trees and shrubs. I love the versitility of options with furled leaders. you can customize them for the type of fishing you are doing by length, color, taper, etc...

I've made quite a few with uni thread and a one out of 6x tippit. I haven't tried the 6x tippit one, but want to make some out of some 2lb floro. fishing line (vanish, etc) for nymphing and streamer fishing.

Mike
[signature]
[size 1]I've made quite a few with uni thread and a one out of 6x tippit. I haven't tried the 6x tippit one, but want to make some out of some 2lb floro. fishing line (vanish, etc) for nymphing and streamer fishing.

Mike [/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[black][size 4]I just did that Mike, I will let you know what I think when I get a chance to try it. Found a spool of Mirage 2lb, so I had to try it.[cool][/size][/black]
[signature]
Yea, let me know. In my mind, a furled leader made out of floro would make a fantastic subsurface leader. What do you use to twist your leaders. I used my "Craftsman" 14.4v drill. I've seen where people use dremils.

I am still new to furled leaders, but plan to use them more this season.

I got alot of great information on:

[url "http://furledleaders.proboards26.com/index.cgi"]http://furledleaders.proboards26.com/index.cgi[/url]

The members of this board are really nice and informative.
[signature]
I used furled leaders almost exclusively for an entire season, and have not since. The do indeed cast and turn over nicely, and are at times a delight fishing especially dries. Also nice to just put a perfection loop on a tippet to attach, and you're ready to go until that gets to short.

But these were negated for me by a couple factors. First, in brushy areas I frequent they are the pits when you snag a bit. It doen't take much to stretch them, and invariabley they then come back a mess. Second, if there are any weeds or dirt (e.g., late summer and lake fishing bass and panfish) they tenatiously hang onto them. You know how your tippet connections catch wees, well imaging the entire leader like that. Third, you do have to dress them to float well, and the other leaders have never been a problem here, so no advantage. Fourth, I'd simply rather use mono leaders for deep weighted nyphing necessary in bigger waters.

Absolutely give them a try. For you, they well may be the best thing since sliced bread.
[signature]