Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
newbie needs help!
hi im nwew to the fishing world, and what can i say im hooked!! cant stop thinnking about my first ig catch, so far just little perch from the moss landing, california beach.. im fishing at lakes now, like san luis resevoier, and hollister, sacrameto river, and have had NO luck[Tongue]. the thing is i dont even know if im setting my line right can you guys gie me some tips please, as to how i should set me line.. for example line, weight, floaty, space.. bait.. or idk im Confused but i aint catching no fish!! thanks, also what bait to use.. thank you!!
[signature]
Let me be the first to welcome you to the site! Glad to have you aboard!

Before we can really give you specific info, there are some specific questions i'd like to ask:

1. What type's of fish are native to those waters?
2. What type of equipment are you using? (I.E. Rod, reel, and line test)
3. What are the water conditions? (I.E. murky, clear? Depth?)

Any other info would be helpful. These are all factors that will dictate your tactics, your limits and abilities, and bait selection.

We look foward to hearing from you!

Bryan D.
[signature]
i;ve been using a cheapy shakespear rod and reel that my dad gave my for christmas about 5 yeas ago[Wink]. but im ready for a new one befrore i buy one i wanted some tips on what to get, now im set on wal-mart, simply because i get good discounts!, i was thinking of an expensive real with like 6 bearings, is what it said. not the spining head, but the other one, as for rod also open to suggestions.. where ive gone they said there was stripers(strip bass???) not sure catfish, and others.. but im fishing from the banks??[Sad]. so any suggestions on equiptment would help thanks for your reply!!
[signature]
Welcome aboard bigOfish. Thanks for taking the time to register and begin enjoying this wonderful site.

I see you are trying for some of the Sacramento species. There are some decent Shad up there as well as nice Stripers, Cats and even Sturgeon.

What species would you care to target??? Each one has it's tricks to it and should be addressed separately.

At times, you can even get some decent Steelhead out of there.[cool]
[signature]
im open to suggestions on what to target, im new to fishing and recently have been fishing almost everyweekend, i do it to get away from the rel world, and to have fun with family members(guys) as i just got married and like to get away and fish. si please help me suggest
[signature]
Tell me a little bit about the rating of your rod, reel and size of line that you use. Then we can make some recommendations from there.[cool]
[signature]
okay right now i have a cheapy shakespear one my dada got my about 7 years ago or som like that. im reayd to buy another one now dont know what to get, i want to buy it from wal-mart cause i can get a good discount, what should i go for, important info is im fishing from the BANKS. thank you for the fast reply
[signature]
when selecting a rod, there are several things you will want to concider.

Lenth.
Action Spead
Grip
Weight Class
Construction
One Peice, Two Peice, Multiple Peice, Telocopic
Bait Caster
Spin Caster
Trolling

For a newby, this is what I tell every beginer... I suggest a two peice medium action spin caster with about a 12 pound weight class a foot taller than you.

If the rep at wallmart dose not know then walk away, dont buy it from there, Reason is because you may get stuck with something you wont be happy with.

you may want to print this string once you have gathered the required info to take it with you to the store, this way you will have a better chance of getting what you want.

Lenth [ul] [li]A rod that is about a foot taller than you is always good for starts.[/li][/ul]
Action Speed [ul] [li]Fast action the rod is wobblely like a whip. the faster the action the more flex you will see at the end of the rod when you shake it. It shows bites more drasticly than the slower action rods.[/li] [li]Medium action the rod is less wobblely still shows a fair bite but your rod wont be doubled over.[/li] [li]Slow action the rod is stiff all the way to the end. when fish hit unless it is a large fish you will bearly see a bend at all when the fish strikes.[/li][/ul]
there are intermideat rod speed action between fast and slow. What you need to do is select the action that is best for your fishing style...

Weight Class
I selected the 12 pound weight class for you so you can target fish from 0-lbs to 15-lbs comfortably with out wory of loosing your rod.

As for your reel,

You need to match your reel to your rod in weight class, style in adition to your level of skill.

is 6 berrings better than 5?

that depends entirely on the quality of the materials your reel is constructed of...

when you get to higher number of berrings in quality reels you will begin to see signifficant price hikes.

shakespeer produces a good product, so dose shimano and Diawa not to mention Zebco

when selecting a reel there are even greater number of things you need to concider.

obvious ones are

weight class
bait cast
spin cast
Open faced spin
close face spin
trolling
drag

for a bigginer, I sugest a nice open faced shimano with the Drag settings in the rear. Closed face spin casters like zebco 808 are great, but I am sure you want to be a little more stylish than that.

Stripers.

are a cross between white bass and striped bass.
[signature]
You are most welcome. Wallmart has a pretty good selection of rods at a decent price. Are you planning on getting 1 rod to tackle all species or are you planning on slowly building a small collection and starting with big stuff or small stuff first?[cool]
[signature]
DAVETCLOWn, thanks for the info and for clearifying stripers! lol[blush]

tubeN2 ,
i plan to buy a good(expensive) reel that will last for a while and be versital, as for rods maybe two at the most and slowly building.. i cant explain how hooked i am to fishing and i havent even got a good fighting fish yet!!!! i will make the trip this weekend to Moss landing beach, and san luis resevior..

i think it would be best small stuff right? thank you so much for your help, i nderstand it takes time to read and reply[Smile]
[signature]
I'm glad you made a choice to start with. You can always add to your collection in the future.

Since you are starting light, are you planning on using Baitcasters or spinning gear??? That will make a difference in the size of the Rod and reel.[cool]

I'll be right back so go ahead and answer away.
[signature]
ive been using blood worms live bait[Sad], no luck!! and shrimp, im nervous about using expensive bait because i have been getting my line stuck and loosing hooks and what not... i feel like im at a diSadvantage cause i dont have a boat.. any advice?? should i still use fake bait even from the banks??
[signature]
Any bait that works is good bait. What type of reel are you used to? Spinning or baitcasting???[cool]
[signature]
that bait hasnt been working for me, [Sad]
Spinning, but want to make the switch to baitcasting, as of now thats only based on looks. lol what do you suggest??
[signature]
Bait casters are touchy when casting,
if you dont get it down you end up with birds nest in your reel.

If you are serious about making the switch, then hook up with another angler who is willing to spend a few hours with you to get you orentated to it.

these reels also require much more care than spin casters...

am I trying to scare you away from bait casters? YES.

fishing from shore spin casters are the best way to go. you will get further cast and be able to target a wider number of fish at just a change of the spool in the reel..

thats right, spools on open faced reels usualy comes with a spare spool that pops off the front. with a couple extra spools you can have one loaded with 4 pound test, 6 pound test and 12 pound test line... (that is if you want versital)

Bait casters are limited to what their weight class is and what you use to load your spindle.
[signature]
thanks i wsa thinking just that, about how the spinner could get me further out there!! now, what should i do about setting my line, for exampple, out in a calm lake where should i set up to fish , ive read about shade, i think that is a good spot, should i use a floaty?? or just let it sink?? thanks, also shoul i reel it in and cast again over and over or should i let it sit and just wait??
[signature]
You could check Wallmart or one of our sponsors for some good deals.

Some of the better standards to go with would be the AbuGarcia AmbasSaduer. The 5000 model on a Berkley lightning stick should get you started.

You can get about the same set up for close to the same price if you were to go to a nicer tackle shop. You could get an Okuma Halogen combo. They are priced well and are good for your Bass, Trout and Panfish needs. The combos are on special right now for around 80 bucks.[cool]
[signature]
there is no wrong way to fish except dropping a line in to the tank at your dentist office, I am sure he wont apreciate it.

with the line of questioning you are asking now I have to tell ya, you need to be spicific for the species of fish you want to target....

as there is no wrong method to fish for them, there are methods that have proven better for cirtain species...

so please be spicific in your question about targeting species, and for that I will leave you to tubn2 because I am not fimiliar with your neck of the pond... I am in the great lakes regeon...
[signature]
Hey DaveTclown. I'm glad to see a new member from one of the areas that used to be my old stomping grounds. I was actually back up there about 5 years ago. The fishing is still great after not being there for close to 30 years.[cool]
[signature]
i also fish from the banks... tear no boat..... BUT i never lose my hook or close 2 never anyways..... i go out to the glades and cast right into the center of the lillies and i get caught up but never a broken line the only time i cut line is when theres a gator near the bank and i dont wanna chance it...... try a diffrent knot style when tieing onto your hooks and try shiners as a new live bait..... also the kepper 2/0 hooks and a bag of 10 in worms will only run about 10 bucks if that and the worms work wonders for me when i go out.... depends on your area though.... im trying new stuff out as well and im comming up with nothing so far so i will see how my day goes tommrow and post
[signature]