Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arrow Speed/Weight
I know there are a bunch of theories, but I am interested in hearing from you guys about the best arrow speed and weight for hunting (mainly deer with the occasional elk) ... here is my current setup.. what is your setup and in your opinion (i hope to get a bunch of different ones) what is the best arrow weight and speed.

Hoyt Vulcan
61# draw weight
easton axis 340 grain arrows with 100 grain broadheads
277 feet per second..
[signature]
That is moving a long at a very good clip. You could easily go with 125 gr tips without much of a hit. I personally think shot placement is much more important than the speed/weight debate. Guys still take big animals with traditional long/recurve equipment that is no where near that quick.
[signature]
Here is my setup that works well for deer/elk/antelope/etc.
Oneida Aeroforce
66lbs max draw
2315 Easton XX75 arrows (old school arrows are still what I like)
125 gr. Bear Razorheards (without the bleeder blade, yeah, its a two-blade, but it cuts great and I have yet to have an arrow stick into a an animal. Always, complete pass-thoughs which make for better blood trails)
232 fps

At 30 yards you'd have to be shooting below 200fps, likely around 180fps, to have an animal "jump the string". I prefer a heavier arrow and cut-on-contact broadheads with two fixed blades over speed anyday. My maximum shot distance is 45 yards, but in all acutality the longest I have ever had to shoot an animal at is 37 yards. My 2cents worth.
[signature]
yes, I agree with your shot placement argument... that is one of the reasons that I ask... the faster your shot the more inherent accuracy you should have, all else being equal... I could speed my bow up some more but then I would have to change arrows and some other things.. just wanted to see what everyone else is shooting
[signature]
Are you sure those arrows are 340gr. The 340 on the shaft refers to the spine of the arrow and not the weight. Look in a cataloge and it should tell you what the grain per inch is for you arrows. I think those axis arrows are around 8.5-9.5 GPI.
The best combo is heavy and fast, but it's not worth a dang if you can't hit what your aiming at. I would say that is plenty fast and If you are going to shoot a fixed blade you might have problems with them plaining out at that speed. I've heard that over 270 you will get some plaining, but I think that has alot to do with which heads you use.
[signature]
I agree about shot placement! but arrow speed means alot when a animal can hear your arrow fly off your bow then jump and your arrow goes completly below him, you need some speed to avoid that situation! but I shoot: Whisper Creek Innovator Pro
64# draw
Easton Full Metal jackets 400
100gr Crimson Talons
288 arrow speed

I'm mainly going for quiet bow and arrow speed.
[signature]
yes you are right..the 340 is the spine stiffness... my arrows are 10.2 grains per inch... I am learning a ton with this sport... I bought a new sight today.. I got a sure loc sight so I changed some things on my bow...in order to use the sight I had to figure out a bunch of things about my bow which were interesting.. here is my new setup..

Hoyt Vulcan 67# draw weight, 30 inch draw
Easton Axis 340 arrows (446 grains including tip)
Sure Loc single pin sight
288 feet per second...

I also found out that I have 82.1 ft lbs of KE coming out of the bow... that I have 61.1 ft/lbs of KE at 100 yards...

I am shooting at 288 feet per second at the bow and I drop to 248.52 feet per second at 100 yards..

Cant wait for the archery hunt..
[signature]
How did you get the speed at 100 yards? Did you use one of those ballistic calculators for bullets? I have always wondered just how much an arrow slows down down range. I thought that it would slow down more than that though. Good to know.

Which broadhead are you going to use? The planing problem I mentioned earlier was more of a problem in years past because of the larger size broadheads like Bears, and Zwickeys. Both heads work great but you can't shoot them very fast. Now days you have smaller profile heads like Wac'ems, and the Nitron and I have heard that they won't take off on you. I shoot the G5 Montecs and have not had a problem with them but I wa sonly shooting around 270 fps last year. I just made some more changes to my set up and it's faster now but I have not shot it through a chrono yet. Not sure if I'm going to leave it at 70# or not I'm just experimenting with my sights and trying some new things. I set up my sight for 25, 40, and 50. So far it works pretty neat. You basicaly have a close pin, far pin, and realy far pin.

If you have access to the base or wilde arrow archery, they are having a shoot at the Hill archery range in may.
[signature]
When I put on my new sight, I programmed a bunch of variables into a computer program.. that program figured out my arrow speed, drop and kinetic energy... that way it could created a sliding scale for my pin height...

I have a similiar understanding as you do, that after about 270 or 280 feet per second you can get some serious plaining with a fixed blade broadhead... I am planning on shooting a piston driven mechanical broadhead that should aleviate this problem..

unfortunately I am not a member of the air force and I am not sure what wilde arrow archery is but I am getting to the point where I would like to take part in a shoot...

I think maybe the moderator of the BFT hunting boards should organize a fun shoot at the Utah Archery Center[Wink][Wink].. and the winners could get fishing lures made by tubedude [laugh]
[signature]
Wilde Arrow is an archery shop in Layton. They are the one sponsoring the shoot. You do not have to be a member of the air force to go to the shoot. If you are interested in going, you need to contact the Wilde Arrow shop and get on their list of names and then they give that list to the security guards at the gate and they will let you on for the shoot. They have a fun shoot for $10 or you can "pay to play" for $40. The payout there depends on the amount of entrants but 1st place is a new Mathews Drenaline, plus other prizes for drawings and such.
[signature]
When is the shoot going to be?
[signature]