Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Otter Creek is picking up fast for trout action - March 8th
hey y'all,

went fishing at otter creek reservoir March, 8th, 2003, and the fishing is definitely picking up! I arrived friday night and talked to a father and son fly fishing, said they caught 20 rainbows between the two of them friday using black wooly buggers . . so i was feeling pretty good going to bed friday night . . [center][Image: otter1.jpg][/center]

this was my first visit there, i was going bank fishing, and i checked out all of the little blm roads that grant access to the lake along the west side of the lake . ..some a car can get down, others you need a truck . .

[center][Image: otter2.jpg][/center] [center] [/center] [center] [/center]

i found a nice point and tried all kinds of lures - wooly buggers with spinning bubble, mepps, spoons, jigs, nothing , , tried nightcrawlwers/marshmallow combo, nothing . . switched to powerbait, and caught 3 fat rainbows - 2 1-1/2 lbs and one a little over 2 lbs . . heres some pics

[center][Image: otter3.jpg][/center] [center] [/center] [center]heres another . . . [/center] [center] [/center] [center][Image: otter4.jpg][/center] [center] [/center] [left]the wind didn't pick up as much in the afternoon as it usually does from what i hear, just a slight chop . . we had rising pressure friday, and high pressure all day sat, i tried another spot on sat afternoon, didnt get another bite or strike . . .[/left] [left]at supper a group came into the restaurant got their picture taken with 15 fish - one was over 20 inches, very nice . .2 dads and 2 sons, , trolling, and powerbaiting they said . . another guy came in with a fish that almost went 4 lbs . . they're both on the door now with the rest of the big fish pictures . . [/left] [left]everybody with a fish finder said all of the fish are on the south end . . . the lake wasnt crowded, 10-20 boats, a few kick boats, float tubers (the fly fisherman i met), and 50 or so bank fisherman i guess . . . if you fish the bank make sure and wear fairly heavy boots, those rocks can be murder on the back and knees . . [/left] [left]since it was my first time there and i didnt know what to expect, i stayed at the rv park at the lake, in their motel room . . .the people there were really fantastic, very reasonable prices, and very helpful to all fisherman . . they only have 2 of these motel rooms there and for $40 a night, you cant beat it if youre not camping, and want to stay right there on the lake . . heres their website . .[/left] [left][url "http://ottercreekrv.com/"]http://ottercreekrv.com/[/url][/left] [left]better reserve one of those rooms fast! with only 2 they go fast . . [/left] [left]i also talked to kevin there about posting reports for us on this forum . .hes very computer savvy, and i believe he'll be posting some reports . if you need info call them or email them, they'd be glad to tell you current conditions . .[/left] [left][url "http://ottercreekrv.com/"]http://ottercreekrv.com/[/url][/left] [#ff0080][size 4]1-800-441-3292[/size][/#ff0080] [#008000][size 4][/size][/#008000] [#008000][size 4][/size][/#008000] [#000000][size 4]well thats about it . . .the next few weeks should be really great up there . . [/size][/#000000] [size 4][/size] [size 4]sm[/size] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left] [left] [/left]
[signature]
one more thing . .

the owners of the rv park stated that the water level is up to about 60%, from a low of 8% last fall ! and the snowpack really hasnt started to melt yet!

sm
[signature]
wow dude you must have talked to people who was on the spot, everyone we talked to said it was un-believably slow, which is typical this time of year with the water temp and still riley.
[signature]
yeah its still definitely hit or miss, but at least its picking up .. .but alot of those locals have a spot, and its their magic spot, and they usually catch fish there, or they caught a ton there last summer, so they go back everytime, wont fish another place . . . . .well it aint summer, and theres alot more water so that place might not produce, and thats a real big lake . . .

sm
[signature]