Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber River (Sat. 3/8)
Fished the Weber River both above and below Taggart on Saturday. It was a beautiful day with occasional gusty winds and some decent fishing. Overall I caught 6 whitefish between 12 and 16 in. 1 small brown of about 10 in. and my first Utah sucker (23 in and 4lbs) on a fly rod. Actually, I snagged the sucker in the side out of deep pool and for a while thought it might be the monster brown of the river! The fight it put up was well worth the ugly fish though. When I got home my wife asked why I didn't bring such a monster home and cook it! [crazy] I finally had to find a picture of one so she could see exactly why. I used several different nymphs all day on sinking line, but the only setup that was producing was a prince nymph followed by a pheasant tail. All of the fish ended up taking the pheasant tail. I would have probably caught more, but my rambunctious black labs always wanted to explore the pool I was fishing first.[Sad] There were also a few small midges on the water, but no fish rising so it didn't seem to be worth the switch to a dry rig.

~mc
Sunday I went for a Drive up the canyon and stopped by the rest stop two guys fished right below the little dam, They caught a fish right when I stopped, they use a worm they said. Was about a 12-14 inch brown.

Also a older guy caught his limit on the Riverdale Parkway on the Weber right behind Tony Divino and the New Walmart.

He also used a Worm, I tried about 100 feet up stream using a brown rappala but only had one hit. He got off though, looked like about a 10 inch brown.

Enjoy,

Tyler
[signature]
Fished on average of 2 times per week. Great winter fishing. Fished above Echo, above Taggert, and below Stoddard (Mtn. Green turn off). Took my dog (Buddy) to help! Best area was above Echo. Caught many whites, browns and rainbows. Whites ranged up to 19 1/2 in. and trout up to 18 in. Probably averaged about 8-10 fish per day with about 50 % trout (most all released). Like to release and let Bud try to chase. Average day is from about 1 pm to 6 pm. Best lure was below Echo - Caddis Nymph tipped with wax worm: Above Echo - Prince nymph. Watch you access! A lot of private property. Had occasions to be visited by sheriffs and DWR, all very courteous and helped with identification of areas of public access. Best advise - look for public access ladders and signs!!! Caught 2 big suckers. Probably should have kept 1 to try since public opinion of whites are so wrong! I keep only white fish and release all my trout. I think white fish are better eating - without smoking!! So there!!!! [crazy][crazy][crazy]Leaky
Would Rappala do well in this area as well? Never caught a white fish, Will they hit any none fly type stuff?

Thanks,

Tyler

P.S. Maybe ill have to take up fly fishing sometime soon.
[signature]
I've caught whitefish on small silver-bladed spinners in the upper Sevier River before. I'm sure some of the more agressive browns would hit a rapala as they do elsewhere. With the water a little more cloudy this past week it was a little harder to get them to take much of anything. My best sucess was on red San Juan worms on the fly rod and black micro jigs tipped with a wax worm on spin tackle. If I didn't have so many other things going this weekend I would probably be back up around Taggart again on Sat. morning. If it warms up a little, it would probably be a great time for a midge hatch in the late afternoon.
Never caught one on a rapala , but have caught them on jigs and spinners . They get more aggressive during the spawn , so it would be better at that time for lures . I caught many on dry flies in march , but nymphs are the best bet year around .
[signature]
I went to the Weber today. Up around the Lost Creek exit past devils slide. Caught 2 huge whitefish and lost 5 other fish includeing what looked to be a pretty nice sized brown. All caught on a little green tube jig tipped with 2 meal worms.
[signature]