Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you lube your reel with?
I think most everyone that fishes maintains thier equipment in one way or the other. One of those ways is to break down the reel and lube the internal and external moving parts. There are many different types of lube on the market, rather it be automotive or specifically for use on reels. I'm curious as to what everyone uses and why. [cool]
[signature]
Personally, I use Vasaline to coat the internal gears. The bearing in all my reels are sealed, butt I also coat the outside of them with vasaline as well.

Why vasaline? For one it's petroleum based, so it holds up to heat extremely well, as it also repels water better than almost anything. Water doesn't break it down and it creates a protective barrier against corrosion from salt.

My next pick would be a heavy grease, like what you use to lubricate the wheel bearings in your boat trailer. I use nothing with a dropping point any lower than 475 degrees.

The trick is to not use a whole lot. A little goes along way. Too much can gunk it up and cause the reel to not be as smooth. Other wise, in my humble opinion, there isn't a finer lube or protective coating than the two items I just mentioned. [cool]
[signature]
I use a product called KFP

it works well almost every where you need a little slippin action..

gears, line lube, takin yur weddin ring off in a pinch at the bar.

no doubt kintucky fried possom is about the best lub you can find any where, when the power goes out you can even use it to fill your oil lamp [sly]

actualy I use gun oil lube because I use my reels year round, they get taken from sumer rods and place on to my winter rods. so having a thin lub that wont brake down in the heat and freeze up in friged temps is realy important to me...

one of the atvantages is my reels are lighting quick. you might even say hair trigher...
[signature]
I use the lube that comes in the box with the reel. I can't seem to run out of the stuff since I keep getting more reels all the time.

When I was buying it, I would actually use the Penn grease on all my reels that had gear in them. For the lighter lubing, on levelwinds and cradle bearing (only a few cradle bearings left) I will usually use the Daiwa oiling pen with the little micro syringe tip that it comes with. It is good for any of the levers and for adjusting the over run mechanism. It also works good on the clickers.

For the spinning reels, I use and industrial lube that is acutally used for pnuematic lubricant. It is good for the slide bars and the inside gears get the Penn Lube or Marine grease.
[signature]
I had to go with other, I'm very bad for not lubricating my reels. Out of 20, 6 squeak. The last 2 reels I took apart to grease, never worked the same afterwards.[crazy] So I've been running them to death and then get permission from the honey to buy new ones. If the noise gets to bad all I have to do is fall in the lake with the pole and that usaully takes care of the noise until the next trip. I like to support the tackle industry.[cool]
[signature]
Since I operate a charter service, my reels get quite a workout. My line gets changed frequently due to abuse and snag-ups year around. The line is normally changed (re-spooled) about every three months on average.

Every time the line is re-spooled, the reel gets completely broken down, cleaned and re-lubed.

The gears get a light coating of moly based grease and the rest is simply oiled with Outers gun oil. The drag washers are carefully cleaned with naptha, then re-oiled lightly with the gun oil.

It takes a little time and elbow grease to perform the maintenance, but the reels seem to last. I have some reels still operating in perfect order that were manufactured in 1948.
[signature]
I use the manufacturers stuff. Also do the line change and strip down every 3 months. Daily I rinse with fresh water and spray with super slick stuff.
[signature]