Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smallmouth info wanted
I have heard of fishing for smallmouth on the Snake River below American falls. Can a person find them from the bank or do you need a boat? Is there any one general area that is better then others? Do they key on rocky points or other structure? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks Ahead of time
Windriver
[signature]
windriver,

I once caught a bunch of nice ones (14 - 16 inch) from the bank. It was a fluke though. People don't invest thousands in those bass boats for no reason (although I wouldn't rule it out).

You find the SMs on the bottom in rocky areas. They feed on crawdads where you are talking. If you are not getting snagged, you are not fishing for them correctly. I was able to find jigs with soft hooks that straighten before my line breaks - saves on the need to break off.

I find it a big enough challenge with a boat so I wouldn't recommend bank fishing. You will find access difficult there on the river.

The area that you are talking can eat boats once the section upstream of eagle rock opens. I would be careful if you go the boat route. The areas that are open now have bass also. There is some danger of running a boat into mud banks now depending on water level. I would expect the SM fishing to get worthwhile in May and June.

SM fishing is probably my favorite of all fishing because they are so sassy. They are also good eating.

FR
[signature]
Hi Windriver,

I want to learn more about fishing in this area also. I do not have a boat either for this purpose, so I am left wondering about some sort of bank technique. Sounds like FishingRocket has some experience with the area and provided some information for us "rookies" as far as the Snake goes down that way. I don't know if you have seen my short blog piece on Snake River Smallies, but, there is a few more tips there also. Here is the link. http://idahofishintimes.blogspot.com
[signature]
I've caught smallmouths in that part of the river but don't spend a lot of time fishing right below the dam. I also won't claim to be an expert smallmouth fisherman. Fishing can be good below the dam but it is often very crowded. As you probably know the river from Eagle Rock to American Falls Dam is closed until Memorial Day weekend.

You can find decent populations of Smallmouths anywhere downstream of American Falls. As a general rule of thumb you will catch greater numbers of smallmouths between Eagle Rock and American Falls Dam. The average size is generally larger in Lake Walcott, American Falls Reservoir and the river from Lake Walcott to Eagle Rock. There is a section of the Snake between Massacre Rocks and Lake Walcott that you cannot take boats currently. You also can put a boat in at Lake Walcott at certain times of the year. There has been talk about relaxing these boat restriction rules but as far as I know this could only be a rumor.

The flows coming out of American Falls are going to substantially increase any day now. EZOP might be able to give you a heads up on exactly what day the flows will increase. If you are thinking about making a serious smalmouth trip for a couple days I would recommend heading over the Brownlee, Oxbow and Hells Canyon instead. If you just want to try somewhere new that is not to far from home you should have a good time exploring the Snake below American Falls Reservoir.

I've caught the smallmouths from the shore in this part of the Snake but a boat will make it much easier. I would agree with fishingrocket, this isn't a place for someone to take a boat who doesn't have much experience boating on rivers. Shore access can be had in most places but the shoreline can be difficult to navigate. Many places are very steep and there is a lot of brush in some areas. Waders can make it a little easier to get around some areas. Send me a PM and I could give you some access points.

Rocky area is always a great area to find smallmouths. Finding the warmest water is always a great strategy for spring time bass. I would fish with crawfish colors. Here's a picture of a crawfish I caught while fishing the Snake River in that area a few weeks ago.
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=23285]
[signature]
I've heard SM fishingat eaglerock is getting good as the years go its a great habitat for them but you'll probably need a boat and if you don't know the water be very careful and learn it before you fish I drive by it alot and I want to take my toon on it but I think I've got my family genes and I'm chicken like my oldest brother
[signature]
poky-mon,

I have a few words concerning your last post....

bock, pck pck pck, bock, pck, pck pck, bock....

Just joking, but your post reminds me of a true story from my travels up north steelhead fishing on the Clearwater by Orofino. I am standing there in a tackle shop deciding what to buy that will keep my tally at zero when a couple geezers (these guys looked older than me) start a conversation. They ask how I am doing and I sheepishly admit "not too well" since I assumed they were talking about landing steelhead. Anyway, I realize they want me to return the question (typically only people with bragging rights ask you stuff in a public place) so I ask them how its going.

They say they are doing well, catching three or four daily. I nod, not wanting to pry into their secrets. The older guy goes on to say they are just using float tubes. I nod thoughtfully (I was still thinking about what to buy). I told them that I hadn't used that type of jig up there but had to try something different. The guy looks at me kind of strange and says "don't you know what a float tube is?" And I look back with my jaw on the ground and say "Are you telling me that you guys are drifting down the Clearwater in January in float tubes?" And the old geezer says "Yup". Then he proceeds to tell me what stretch of river - and it was the stretch where no motors were allowed of course. And I continued to stand there with mouth dropped. Think of the complexity of landing 10 - 18# steelhead in a float tube in a river that often gives boats trouble....

Anyway, to throw windriver a bone, he may want to hit Ririe Res. (after May 1 opener) instead since I think he drives by there to get to the Snake below A.F. I think the SM bass are starting to get above the 12" mark there at Ririe.

FR
[signature]
Hook a big steelie and it would take yu back up to your starting point plus one day i'll get the b---- and float a river
[signature]
American Falls, Minidoka, Milner and several canals in the area start increasing flows tomorrow (Sunday 8th). At Minidoka we should be passing over 4000cfs by noon Sunday the 8th. (I think we are passing about 1300cfs now.)
This generally means American Falls will start passing the same or more water about 6 hours before us.
[signature]