Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Rainbows- 4/5/07
We got out again for some big shallow rainbows, but this time we walked the shore. Rainbows are returning to spawn, back to the launch ramps where they were initially stocked. Inflows and the backs of coves are also good locations. They're big fish and pretty visible as you walk the shorelines with polarized glasses. Early morning was best, when the sun was low and the winds were light.

It's pretty fun to strip flies through the concentrations, and at times the action is pretty hot. Yesterday, we caught more than a dozen fish on wooly buggers, muddler minnows, and larger scud patterns. Try attaching an attractor like a bright orange or pink egg, about 12 inches above the bugger. Add a little weight to get the rig down, and slowly strip the rig back to shore. It's pretty exciting to watch a 16-22 inch fish chase and attack your fly!

If you don't flyfish, we also caught a few on small marabou jigs (1/32 oz), curly tail jigs (1/16-1/4 oz), and even Beetle Spins in white and chartruese.

Attached is pic of a healthy 20-incher showing a little cutthroat character. Enjoy!
[signature]
good looking bow[Wink]
[signature]
That is a beautiful fish. Nice colors. And thanks for the report.
[signature]
Very nice! Thanks for sharing the info and the pics. [Smile]
[signature]
Very nice cutbow, thanks for the info. I will be out tommorow looking for some myself. Would have been out today but I hurt my back a few months back (reeling in Macs, I wish) and can't handle the boat by myself, and couldn't find any friends to go with. Anyway good luck the rest of the weekend and thanks for the pic.

Wyobraz
[signature]
Beautiful fish. I had forgot How pretty the rainbows at the gorge are.
[signature]
What color of jigs did you use? Did you try any marabous? I have had good luck on black.
[signature]
Marabou jigs did work pretty well. We tried several colors in curly tails and marabous, but unfortunately we didn't have any black. We caught fish on different flavors of white and chartruese.
[signature]