Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UTAH BFT FLOATILLA
[cool][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][#0000ff]Dusty_T, a BFTer from this Tubing board, was back in Utah after living for some time in Nebraska. Just here for Easter family get-together and wanted some of us locals to go tubing with him. We worked it out for a small group to hit Lincoln Beach this morning.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Everything started off great. Polokid showed up at my place 15 minutes early and we were on our way. Road and his son, Fishboy2, were to pick up Dusty_T in the truck and we would all meet up about 7. Hey, we were all there early. What a start.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lake was calm and there was a nice pink sunrise. Looking good. I had brought extra tubes for Polokid and FB2, and extra minnows and carp meat for everybody. Road didn't think the minnows were soft enough, so he stepped on his while setting up his toon.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Got the other guys launched and finished getting my rig on the water by 7:45. Water temp was an encouraging 55 at launch. I figured we would really get into them. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff][#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My first cast was whacked hard. I set the hook, felt a couple of headshakes from a decent fish and dared to hope it might be a walleye. Yeah, right. A toothless golden walleye. Got it to Smile for a picture and then gave it the customary complimentary gillectomy...and released it unharmed.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A hundred casts later, not another touch on plastics. I figured the cats would wanna play so I plopped out a minnow on one rod and a piece of carp meat on the other. Then...a whole lot of nothing. Worked in and out, up and down. Nary a tweak.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]While I was busy catching nothing, everybody else thought they would do their best to keep me amused. FB2 and Dusty both developed leaking air valves on their tubes and had to return to the beach for adjuxtments and air. Polokid developed a severe case of "bilge water" problems and threw up a roostertail getting back to shore to "download". In the process he lost the rigid apron and ruler from TubeBabe's float tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Even road was not through, after smashing his minnows. His next performance was to coax two fish to smack his baits simultaneously. In the excitement and confusion, he donated an expensive pair of glasses to the gods of Lincoln Beach. We speculated about those spectacles. We were wondering that if a carp came up wearing them if it would look better than road.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah, FB2 wasn't through either. After going ashore and making it back out to the "fishing grounds", he announced that he had lost a fin. That was about the time one of the periodic breezes kicked up. Good father road rowed over and donated one of his fins to aid his son in getting back in...probably so he wouldn't have to tow him like before.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Everybody got a few bites, but hookups were tough to come by. FB2 scored a chunky bullhead, Dusty dragged in a carp and road just played conservationist...feeding the fish without molesting them much. Fortunately, yours truly avoided the stench of skunk. In addition to the cooperative carp, I caught one mudder and lost a couple more. I had several pick ups and runners from catfish, but only got the hook into one. It was a feisty 24" mama that weighed 5.6 pounds. Fun, fun, but I wished that the others could have played with a few more just like it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As usual, there were some "distractions". A DWR crew came roaring in in their boat to check the live nets they had set at the mouth of the Benjamin Slough, just about the time our whole group came together right in that area.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A short time later there was a sound like the biggest swarm of Angry mosquitoes you ever heard. Turned out to be a para plane. He wanted to show off and kept dropping down to only a few feet off the deck to show us his nifty craft. The vibrations of the engine could be felt underwater in our waderclad legs...and by the fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If that wasn't enough, the worlds loudest small boat came roaring in between our group and the shoreline...briefly. Then, they shut off their noisy kicker and began "quietly" paddling...no doubt to keep from scaring our fish. They banged the tin boat with every sweep of the paddles. From past experience I knew that the sensitive fish in the area were beating a retreat. At least none of us got another whack over the next hour we stuck it out.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The one good thing was the weather. Very mild with only slight breezes off and on, with flat calm conditions in between.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We were all on shore by about 1 PM. After some BSing and smoked catfish we headed our vehicles back home. A good had was timed by all.[/#0000ff]
[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=23355;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] READY TO RUMBLE.jpg [/#333366][/url](144 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=23356;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] SCATTERED FLOATILLA.jpg [/#333366][/url](229 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=23357;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] DUSTY & ROAD.jpg [/#333366][/url](255 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=23358;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] ROAD & FB2.jpg [/#333366][/url](184 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=23359;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] FB2 & DUSTY.jpg [/#333366][/url](324 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=23360;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] DUSTY_T.jpg [/#333366][/url](163 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=23361;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] GOTCHA.jpg [/#333366][/url](188 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=23362;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] BUGLE MOUTH WALLEYE.jpg [/#333366][/url](219 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=23363;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] UGLY MUDDER.jpg [/#333366][/url](276 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=23364;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] MEAT MUNCHER.jpg [/#333366][/url](236 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=23365;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] ROAD ROWIN'.jpg [/#333366][/url](199 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=23366;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] DWR NET CREW.jpg [/#333366][/url](200 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=23367;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] MEGA MOSQUITOE.jpg [/#333366][/url](202 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=23368;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] BANG BANG FISHIN'S DEAD.jpg [/#333366][/url](253 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=23369;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] FLOATIN' FOOLS FINISHED.jpg [/#333366][/url](351 KB) [/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Thanks TD - Had a blast. It was worth the drive from Omaha to try the smoked kitty....I have been bragging it up to anyone who will listen.

My pinched o-ring and trip back to the shore was worth it for the download break....Although warned about the morning beverages -- I switched down from my usual 24 OZ beverage to an 8 OZ beverage, but was still glad to get a chance to test out Lincoln Beach's fine restroom facilities.

Not to worried about my (except for carp and bullhead) Utah skunking 2007 --- I had a blast spending 3 days fishing the water that I grew up on, and would like to thank everyone who came today -- especially Road and Son for the lift.

Also -- Thanks TD for the pictures -- my new waterproof wal-mart special camera's pictures that I took look about like the $30 that it cost -- fuzzy and out of focus -- I should go back and give it a resting place next to Road's glasses......Time to talk the wife into letting me take the good camera....(I will promise her to keep it in the right side pocket) -- and yes the ODC 420 loaded with a fat tub still floats mighty good with one bladder 85% empty...good test. My pump will now have a special place on the tube instead of in the truck in the future.

Can't wait to come back and fish with you guys again in the near future. May try to make the trip again in July.
[signature]
[size 1]Yep that's pretty much how it was.

But I take exception "so he steped on the while setting up his toon". I did no such thing! Those minnows were OLD and HARD! So much so that I didn't think I could get a lazer hook through them. So I tenderized them using the old greek wine making method. Now they were just fine for fishing.

Would anyone here like to explain to the Mrs that *hit happens and its no big deal. She said I should have jumped over board and dove to the bottom of the lake to find those glasses. She even went as far as suggesting that I needed to stay down there (on the bottom) until I did find them. Sheesh that woman has no sense of humor. If ya all could have seen how it happened. It was too funny.

Now the wind was starting to blow a bit. FB2 annouced he had lost a fin. Kicking as hard as he could he ws making no headway. So I rowed over to him to make sure he was OK. Yes I could have tossed him a line. And yes I could have towed him all over UL. But I opted to *generously* donate on of my fins to him. I mean after all you have to let them grow up sometime don't you?

Well I had a good time Nice to see Polo again, meet Dusty-T, as always fun to fish with TD and FB2 [/size]
[signature]
You utah folk should have a floatilla in idaho since half of you lived here around june to july chesterfield would be good even invite TN2
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Tried Idaho fishing last year. Too far, too expensive for out of state licenses and fishing is better in Utah.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Who wants to go to Idaho to get Californicated anyway?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks fer the kindly thought though. Mighty neighborly of ya.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sounds like an action packed trip even without the fish biting. Don't worry Dusty I didn't do much damage to the fishing here in NE while you gone. Looks like another crappy week of weather. OBG and I talked about getting a Nebraskafishingforum.com floatilla going this spring sometime.
[signature]
Closer then some utar lakes better fishin By far and a season tag is cheaper than going to dinner and the movies thats why they all come here. Cheap entertainment but great company.
[signature]
[black][size 3]What, that $85. license......well, at least it is the whole year.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Besides you know where them Utah Kitties are...that's for sure.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]It sounds like you guys had an interesting outting.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I specially like the picture of you all you guys ion the shore in your Spandex I mean Neoprene. I thought I was looking at one of those 80's rock bands[laugh][laugh][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]We were a little farther south this weekend, but from the reports, Friday was good, but turned off big time Saturday. The weather was Sunny and HOT! A lot of fish cruising the shallows and you could see everyone of them, which means we had to go into stealth mode.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I landed some in the shallow bay and more in 60 feet of water hanging around 30' to 48' deep.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Then Last Night, Lightning storm from H#$%&. with winds to match. I guess the fish already knew this. Woke up this morning with puring rain and Black sky as far as I could see, so headed home.[/size][/black]
[signature]
I bet we could do one at the Lava Hot Springs. I would just have to find a way to get the Sulphur off of my tube if there is anything left of it when we are done.[cool]
[signature]
[reply]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]It sounds like you guys had an interesting outting.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I specially like the picture of you all you guys ion the shore in your Spandex I mean Neoprene. I thought I was looking at one of those 80's rock bands[laugh][laugh][/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]

FG -- How ironic you would mention that on the same day I put 2+2 together when my brother told me that (a reunited) BD would be playing in Lehi this month and if I was still going to be in town I could call up some of the old crew who I used to hang with back in our "clubbing" days....and then when I went to your website to get the date -- I thought that singer looked like she could be your twin sister [Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Well, at least you have "experienced" Yuba...another wonderful Utah pond.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are a lot of carp in there. Did you make friends with any of them?[/#0000ff]
[signature]