Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
willard
[cool] I was wondering with this warm weather, will the fishing be picking up at willard. I don't have a boat so I have to fish from shore.Caught a few wiper last year and they are a good fight. Will the cats be biting?
[signature]
Hi Icefool

I was out at Willard today for an hour or so. I was fishing from shore. I didnt start fishing until almost dark. I was targeting wipers. I didnt catch any so I tried for walleye, but didnt get any bites. Their were some fish jumping around dusk. Probably they were carp. When the carp start to get active so do most of the other fish. The water was still a little cold. 1 or 2 more days of this warm weather and those wipers will start to bite. This is the best time of year to fish for wipers from the shore. Because the bugs are not out yet. I hate those things. I think that the first place guys report catching wipers is at the north marina. So you could give it a try. I will, and I will let you know when I get some. I didnt try for any cats but I bet they are biting. Wiper24
[signature]
I agree with wiper24 by the end of the week the wiper fishing should be turning on. Usually it only takes three days of good weather but since the water temp has been so cold it takes a little longer. You never know about the catfish this time of the year but there is a good chance you can catch a few. Try the south or north marina, there has been a report of a few crappie showing up. WH2
[signature]
It has been my ecpirience that the pre-spring fishing for wipers must be done between the hours of 2:00 and 5:00 pm. The spring night bite doesnt turn on until the water warms around april. Once the fish move out of the channel and warm water areas post walleye spawn you will do better at night but the real early season bite has always been best for me in the afternoon hours. Plus as Wiper24 said, spring is the time to shore fish willard. And not only because of the lack of bugs, but because the fish concentrate there.
[signature]
You should try some night fishing for walleye from the shore in a couple of weeks. It is almost better to fish from the shore during that time.
[signature]