Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crawfishin' at Scofield tips???
Hey all, plan on crawfishing at Scofield and wondering if anyone has any tips as to best area, time of the day, bait, shore or boat, etc. I usually just go to catch a few to boil up but looking to bring some home to freeze this time around. Usually use a piece of chicken tied to some string and just grab em off repeatedly. Thanks in advance for any replies!!!
[signature]
sorry dont know nuthin bout crawfishin' but i likes your name !

sm
[signature]
hey FH when i lived in texas i caught them them the same as you did only i used bacon on a small leadhead ( bacon floats ) use a whole piece and leave it in about 10 min. anyou can pull in several at once made a dip net out of an old window screen and cloths hanger tied onto a broom handle to scoop them up hope this helps GOOD LUCK

aquaman
[signature]
[Wink]
In the great state of Utah, you'll have to use a sinker instead of a jighead. You can't have a hook on a line used to catch crawdads. Makes it so you'll have to tie the bacon on instead of hook it on the jig. You can use up to five lines for crawdads, and without a hook on them you can't be accused of fishing with them.

Fishrmn
They also make traps that you can buy that work great. You can put them out and come back in a few hours, if you are in a good area you can catch them by the hundreds. WH2
[signature]
[cool]If you wanna get serious about 'daddin', freeze up the heads and filleted out carcasses of your eatin' fish. Bait a trap with a couple, or just tie a chunk on a line. That's what them crawdaddies live for...dead fish that have sunk to the bottom. I have been diving in lakes and rivers where I have seen huge mounds of crawdads gathered over a single dead fish. In a matter of hours, there is nothing but picked bones. They have sensitive scent receptors on their antennae that help them home in quickly on anything edible.

After dark, 'dads will venture up into only a few inches of water. But, when the light comes up (and predators come out) they retreat to deeper water and hide out under rocks or in the weeds. This makes them more difficult to catch in numbers, but if you offer something fishy-licious they will come out to play.

Just remember, you ain't an official "mudbug" eater until you suck the heads too.

Oh yeah, one last thing. Save the small ones and the soft shelled ones. Kill them and freeze them in water for catfish bait. Un-bee-leevable how Mr. Whiskers appreciates them little fresh water lobsters. Big trout like 'em too.
[signature]
Great info TubeDude! Willard has some dads in it, and if you happen to get one to venture out of the rocks, you can use him as live bait! Put a little weight on your line to slow the dad down a little, and it's chow time! Unfortunately it is unlawful to use parts of gamefish for baiting dads. But if you happen to dice up a carp (non-game fish) you can use as much as you like for bait.
[signature]
[:/]
Sorry to have to tell ya this Tube Dude, but using game fish or their parts is agin' the law here in Utah. So uness you is eatin' carp, suckers or chubs, you'd better not be savin' the heads, tails, guts, 'n such fer them "daddies". But you're right. They love to eat fish. If you put fish on a stringer at Scofield, and they die, the crawdads will be all over them. Like stink on $@%t.

There is one small section of the proclamation devoted to crawfish and the regulations on taking them. There used to be a small section describing the regs. for taking brine shrimp for personal use. I guess since it's turned into such a big business they've had to make too many rules for it to be included in the fishing proc. Next thing you know there'll be a dozen or more rules on how to deal with Mormon crickets.

Anyway, keep up the good work. We all like hearing from ya. Even if you do reside in Arizona these days.

Fishrmn
[cool] I was not advocating using parts of hatchery pets (trout) or the like. I was thinking more in terms of the remnants from a perch filleting session...or maybe white bass. Didn't occur to me that I may have been mistook. If all else fails, and you don't have good fishy leftovers, a trip to the fish market can get you a buy (free) on some fish cleanin's. You might even wanna invest in some cheap stuff like mackerel.

Other good baits are trimmings from raw meats of any kind. I know quite a few folks who save chicken necks and other parts for baiting dads. They will eat almost anything live, dead, ripe or ex-stinked. If you ever have something go bad in the freezer or refrigerator, put it in the crawdad corner.
[signature]
[:/]
You may get away with using perch in waters where they are legal as bait for fish, like Deer Creek. Or white bass in Utah lake, but the proc. says game fish may not be used. Doesn't say trout. So is tuna a game fish?

Fishrmn
Is it legal to use live crawfish for bait?[Smile]
[signature]
Only on the waters where they are caught.
Wow, thanks for all the tips! I'll try hitting East Canyon when it opens up as well for some crawdads, read on the utah diving site that they've got em in there as well. It's alot closer to West Jordan than Scofield. [sly]
[signature]
Hey Fly, We just used to go to imagration canyon up behind the Zoo and get them there. We would turn over rocks but I am sure a basket would do great.
[signature]
[url "http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/fishing/crayfish.html"]http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/fishing/crayfish.html[/url]

[blue][size 2]To the post above, no, I'm pretty sure you can't fish with live crayfish--only dead ones AND only from the water from which it was caught. I'm too lazy to check the proclamation myself right now, but while you're on the DWR's site following the above link, check the proclamation.[/size][/blue]
If you are looking for dads close , Settlement Canyon res. and Granstville res both has crawdads in them . I live in Kearns and it is about 45 miles to both lakes .
[signature]
[green][size 2]I believe you can use live crayfish from the lake you got them from, but it has to be that day. No transporting them. I just briefly look at that DWR letter. I'll re-read again later. Just to confirm. I'm going to try to do some live craying this year for bass if its legal.[/size][/green]
[signature]
Here is what the DWR website says.

Use of live crayfish for bait is legal only on the water where the crayfish is captured. It is unlawful to transport live crayfish away from the water where captured.

Here is the link

[url "http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/proclamations/2003_fishing/2.html#fishing"]http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/proclamations/2003_fishing/2.html#fishing[/url]

It is under section B. Fishing Methods, Part 7. Baits Statment 4.
[signature]