Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
open vs. closed
Which kind of tube is a better investment? Open or closed?
[signature]
You've defitnally come to the right place to get a ton of information. [Smile] What we need from you is to know a little bit more about the type of fishing you do and the kind of waters you fish most often. Then you'll get a "tube load" of information!

EmuScud
[signature]
[cool]Mr. Scud makes a good point, but there are some basic considerations that will remain the same, regardless of the style or degree of one's tubing addiction. After that, it becomes largely a matter of personal preference.

The single biggest difference between "round boats" and the U-boat or mini-pontoon designs is in the launching and beaching processes. Launching the traditional "donut" requires that you step down into your craft, at some point during the launching process. This is a rite of passage for all newbies that is worthy of the funniest videos show.

Most rookies...and even some veterans...still persist in trying to step into their tubes with fins already on their feet. That is not only funny to watch, it can be dangerous...to body and tackle. It is far better to place your fins down inside the tube first (out of the water), and then step into them and pull up the straps. After that, you just pull the tube up around you and hit the water.

Upen end designs make launching and beaching much easier. You can pull or push your craft out into knee deep water, get positioned inside the open front of the tube and then sit down. Beaching is just the reverse. You move into water shallow enough to be able to stand, get out of the tube and then tow or push it to shore.

The latter scanario, with the tube not being still hanging around your waist...or worse, your ankles...greatly improves mobility and balance. On uneven, rocky or muddy bottom, you can keep your craft in front of you for something to hold onto for added balance.

As far as fishing, there are some potential advantages to both designs. If you want to backback your craft into a remote lake, you will find a simple round boat, with a lightweight vinyl bladder, to be the best choice from a weight consideration. If you want a higher seat, greater flotation and better energy to propulsion ratio, then one of the newer two-chamber designs will be a better choice.

In the writeup I am just completing on "Choosing a Craft", I touch on these issues of tube design...as well as the different bells and whistles available, and how they either add to the value, or just to the cost. Anyone who would like a copy of that (about a week away from completion), can send me a Private Message on this BFT site, or email me at [url "mailto:pscouten@qwest.net"]pscouten@qwest.net[/url]. I will also be happy to answer any specific questions related to a oersonal style of fishing, as it relates to craft choices...or fins or waders or whatever.

Anyone else have some good input for MountainMan?
[signature]
"Investment" is a funny word in this context. I will sink some money into what I see as an investment while another will think I'm nuts and wasting my money.

I would recommend you find some fishing buddies and borrow an outfit of each style. Try them out, then you will best be able to determine which type would be the best "investment" for you personally.

ES
[signature]
Just to let you know, I do all kinds of fishing. But I probably would only use it in high mountain lakes, and small lakes so I don't get blown all over.
[signature]

Hi there MountainMan,

I'm putting in my quarters worth and getting an opinion from our esteemed fellow posters. They don't leave much to be added! pesky experts!

I think it's easier to get stuff from behind you on a U-boat/pontoon type float tube. ideas?

If you were ever torpedoed, abandoning tube would be an easier ordeal with a U-boat or pontoon type.

In the strictest sense, I think investment in a U-boat type is best as I'm sure the resale value and possibility is (admittedly not very good anyway) better than a donut type.
Agreed?

I would be spacially challenged in a donut type while I can wiggle around and shift my... ah hemm.. position to a new comfort point in my u-boat.

Most importantly, you can put more junk on a U-boat/pontoon boat than a donut!

Nuff from me already,

JapanRon
[signature]
High mountian lakes... trout fishing is that what you are/were doing? That sounds awsome to try! Did you post any stories or pictures on this forum? [Smile]
[signature]