Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling minnows
I am wondering what different ways you all rig your minnows for trolling? I am planning on trolling the gorge with large flat fish, and minnows and I need some advise. Thanks, ZugBug
[signature]
The old guide from down at fish lake showed me how he rigged his minnows. He allows threaded them on with the line running through the fish with the treble hooks prongs curving back around the head of the minnow. When the minnow is trolled it is actually pulled backwards through the water. The minnow is usually trolled behind a fair sized pop gear. I have experimented with some different variations. I use a single hook sometimes but I still thread the line through the minnow. This can be done with a piece of wire that has a small section folded over to keep the line from slipping off. There are minnow threaders that can be purchased. There are good and bad to single hooks.The good side is less snags and the bad is the fish tend to swallow a single hook easier and alot of the hook sets are in the gills. I you plan on catch and release stay with the treble hooks. I also have tried minnows behind a dodger and that seems to work. It gives the minnow more action and you feel the fish fighting alot more then when you use the large popgear. I hope this helps. gshorthair
[signature]