Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Onboard charger
I'm going to be looking for an onboard charger soon. I have two trolling motor batteries, 12/24 volt, and one starting battery, 12v. There is a voltmeter gauge on the dash for the starting battery. I don't know if the outboard charges it or not (200 Merc). I don't have an owners manual and I'm still learning [blush]. Common sense tells me that a 2 bank is for two batteries, 3 bank for 3, etc. From you more seasoned boat owners, should I be looking for something specific? Brand name, gauges, buttons and other "stuff" that make some chargers better than others. Fairly easy to do it yourself I would think, right?
[signature]
I have had 2 different brands, Minnkota and currently a Dual pro. I like the dual pro a little better. I have a similar setup 12/24volt system 2 deep cycles and a cranker you only need a two bank charger because your outboard does charge the cranking battery. I recommend you get a charger that has maximum amp output which is 15 amps per bank faster charging!
[signature]
I also have a two bank Dual Pro charger on my boat. It has light bar indicators that give you an indication of charging progress. Do a little shopping around on google and ebay to get the best deal. Dual Pro, Minnkota and Guest are some popular brands to look for. Good luck[Smile]
[signature]
Yes your outboard does charge your starter bat. But if you are going to buy an onboard charger I would by the 3 bank charger. As far as what brand, I like the Pro Mariner Pro Sport that both Cabelas and Bass Pro carries. I have this on my boat and it has been extremely reliable. One other thing to consider is the rate you would need your batteris to charge. The pro mariner is a 5amp per bank and takes awhile to charge (does very well on an overnight charge). But if you need faster I thin MinnKota makes a 10amp per bank charger that can charge as fast as 6 hours I thing.
[signature]
Dual Pro 3 Bank all the way. Got it on the Lund, put's out 30 amps and sends it to the batterys that need it the most. When these boats sit and are not used alot you need that starting battery at full charge when you hit the water. My livewells, and all my electronics are on that same battery and unless you have a long run to make like Lake Powell you will never get that starting battery fully charged by running that Merc on a short run, which translates into a dead starting battery by the end of the day. Been there done that LOL!!! These units are very easy to install yourself, just need a place to mount it, run the wires to each battery and plug her in, and the unit does the rest. Believe me once you get it you'll wonder why you waited so long to get one.
[signature]
I agree with Lunddude, get the 3rd bank charger, the motor will not charge it up fast enough on those short runs, even the longer runs won't do an adequate job. The motor also will not charge it up while the boat is sitting in the driveway. The best thing for a battery is to charge it up as soon as you get home, this will give the battery a longer life than if you let it sit until the night before you go out fishing.
I have a 3 bank pro charger from dual pro and I had a 2 bank dual pro on my previous boat, they both did a good job. I have been looking at the protournament chargers that are in bass pro shops and wondering how they would do with the on demand charging, looks good but I want to hear some reviews before I buy one.

Scott
[signature]
Anyone have a Stayncharge? It can charge a battery in a fraction of the time a ac charger can by using the altinator. I am thinking about purchasing one. [url "http://www.stayncharge.com"]www.stayncharge.com[/url]

Is there any way to charge a battery at Lucerne boat ramp? I haven't been able to find a plug in.
[signature]
Sounds like a good investment.
[signature]
I'll take a look at the Dual Pro, thanks for the help. I will definately get the three bank.
[signature]
This is probably the best onboard charger around
[url "http://www.stayncharge.com/"]http://www.stayncharge.com/[/url]
[signature]