Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to buy anchovies?
I'm headed to Lake Powell this week and understand that it might be a good idea to bring some anchovies for the striper's. Anyone know where I can buy them in Utah County? I'm in the Pleasant Grove area.
Thanks,
Cory

(I know I could probably buy them in BullFrog, but I figure it might be cheaper to buy them here instead of at the Marina. Let me know if anyone disagrees.)
[signature]
Wecome to the site Cory, looking forward to that report when you get back from Powell. I always buy my anchovies at Sportsmans and yes they are a lot cheaper than buying them at the lake, good luck. WH2
[signature]
We bought 15lbs last week at Sportsmans in Midvale. You shouldn't have any trouble buying them in Provo but I would call first. The Sportsmans in Midvale were out of anchovies for 2 weeks and the salesrep said they go fast. Welcome to BFT.
[signature]
First off welcome aboard!!! I am going to be down at Powell on the 22nd to the 26th, so hopefully you do good. We will be out of Bullfrog. Anyhow, I have asked the same question about the chovies. I heard there is a place in Hanksville that sells them cheap and they are never out. Better to get them closer to the lake so they dont turn to mooooosh!!! Sportsmans and The Anglers Den also, sell them. I am going to pick some up from Anglers Den and pack them with dry ice, then stop in Hanksville and pick somemore up also.
TS
[signature]
I always hear to use anchovies at Lake Powell and was wondering if red side shiners would work there or not. Anyone have any info about this?
[signature]
Thanks for the replies and information. I appreciate it. We waited till the last minute and Sportsman's was sold out of anchovies as of yesterday. We did call Cabela's shortly after and they said the bait guy just walked in and we rushed up there to buy them. We threw them on dry ice and duct taped the cooler to keep them frozen. Headed out at noon today an coming back on Saturday. I will report back on the fishing. Hopefully this storm system wont goof things up.
[signature]
red sides work great for the cat fish there.. they suck for stripers tho..

pack your bait cooler with dry ice! it will keep the choves from going mushy..
[signature]