Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small tube?
Hey all - first post.

I am a shore angler (mostly target warmwater spicies) who is considering getting a float tube to reach those real fishy looking spots that I always see from the bank.

My concern/requirement for the tube is that it be small enough to carry in a backpack (like a day pack backpack, not a 1 week trip huge backpack w/ frame type pack) + tackle.

I don't have any transportation and fish mostly urban lakes in Seattle (lk washington/union) when I get the chance, and I take the bus to get to these locations, hence the size limitation.

I am about 5'10", 155lbs. I would like to keep it under $200 as well, since there are the waders/flippers to get as well (didn't realize cost of ownership would be so high!)

Am I missing anything else?

If you all could point me in a direction/suggestions, that would be awesome.

thx
[signature]
This was a while ago hope this helps and welcome.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=316604;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]LINK TO PREVIOUS POST[/url]
[signature]
Hello there and welcome to the site! If you're looking for a smaller tube, I really like the Creek Company Uboat 2000. It's very comfortable, has enough pocket space to get by, and it's not very pricey. Cabelas has them up for sale in a $90 combo [url "http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0011364315877a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=uboat+2000&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=uboat+2000&noImage=0"]here[/url].

I'm pretty sure you can find them for less, but I like having the customer service available in case anything goes wrong with it. The pump that comes with it is pretty good, but the fins aren't. However, they are very small and would fit well in a backpack, and I'm sure they'd suffice if ya wanted, but I'd suggest paying a bit more for better ones.

My wife uses the UB2 now, and I used to have one but just upgraded to a V-tube (not very backpackable) and sold mine to help pay for the new one. It folds up really small and could probably fit in any decent size backpack without too much effort.

There's a lot of other good tubes out there too. Just stay away from doughnuts!

Glad to have ya aboard! [cool]
[signature]
thx for the info!

Does the UB2 keep your butt off the water? I think that would be a big deal for me - although I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make that happen with a tube packable enough to fit in a backpack...

The idea of keeping the tube deflated, folded, and strapped to the OUTSIDE of the bag is a new one to me but that might open up some possibilities as long as it wasn't too cumbersome.

Another question - if I were to bring a backpack with tackle, etc all in it, where does the backpack go after the tube is inflated and ready to roll? I've never actually seen a tube close up so I'm having trouble picturing how it all works.

Any more suggestions, tips, advice?

thx again
[signature]
Your butt would definitely sit in the water with the UB2, but you can always wear waders (one more thing to add to the list!). I don't think there are many tubes out there that would sit you up high and still be lightweight and packable, except maybe the [url "http://www.outcastboats.com/outcastboats/stillwater.shtml"]Outcast Trinity[/url], but I've never seen one up close and it sounds like it's more than you're looking to pay anyhow ($330 list).

TubeDude, one of the moderators on this board, would be a better guy to ask since he's been float tube fishing longer than I've been alive. If you ask real nice (or at least offer the right bribe), I'm sure he'd impart to you some of his vast sagacity! [Wink]

As for the tackle, I haven't done much backpack tubing myself so I'm probably not the best guy to ask. I'm sure some of the more experienced types will post up soon and help you out. I would imagine you'd probably do just fine with a small-medium sized chest pack full of tackle (depending how you're fishing, with what, etc.).

Or, I know some of the tubes out there (including the UB2) have optional backpack straps that you could hook up. Then you could just hike in with your tube already inflated and just load the tackle in the tube's pockets. Again, hopefully a couple others around here can give you a better idea of what to expect.
[signature]
What a challenge. The Best of the Best board at the top has some great articles about different tubes and equipment. Your probably going to want a U shaped tube to fit your size requirements for the bus ride. You will be in the water a little but they still work great.

My suggestion would be to go with a package deal like the U-Boat 2000. It's nothing over fancy but its a sturdy tube and you get fins and a pump. The internet can be full of deals if you have the time to look for them. You still have some money left for some basic waders. For $200 your not going to be going high end but you couldn't carry all the high end big stuff on the bus anyway.

Now that you have your tube and waders find a good army navy store or something like that and try to find a large duffle bag it will all fit in. Might be cheaper than a frameless backpack. Buy a bike lock and lock your bag to a tree or something while your on the lake. Just a suggestion as I said.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome to the board. Hope we can help you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As others have already advised, there are a number of issues for you to address. If you want to pack in a tube, with a minimum of weight and bulk, you will have to compromise on other things...like size and floatation. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The top of the line tubes (Like the Trinity) run way over the budget you established. To get properly outfitted with tube, fins and waders for under $200, you will have to stay in the lower end of the features and options.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The aforementioned Uboat is a good choice. With a vinyl air chamber and light construction, it should fold up enough and be light enough to fit your requirements.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have a Sportsmans Warehouse store near you, or maybe another large tackletorium, check to see if they sell the WW Griggs line. I have seen them stacked and at a good price in the local Sportsmans, and I know a few guys that have them and enjoy them...both for the low price and their basic serviceability. Some models run less than $70, but are open front and have plenty of pocket space for pack in. Not sure of the weight, but I suspect they are quite light. Not many frills.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You are lucky. In the "olden days", when we wanted to take a tube backpacking we had our choice of a round tube or a round tube. Virtually all models came with heavy butyl rubber inner tubes. And, getting in and out of the round tubes was almost enough to make you swear off the sport...almost.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Today you have a lot more options and some pretty good stuff for fairly low prices. Take your time to shop different models and compare prices. Just be aware that the craft you choose for light weight and backpacking will not be a good choice for running whitewater rapids or fishing big lakes or salt water.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Keeping your but out of the water will add bulk to the tube...as most "higher up" tubes accomplish this trick by the addition of a foam seat and seat back VS. the piece of fabric that you sit on (and thus in the water) in the other tubes. The foam seat and seat back alone take up nearly as many square inches as the whole of the other tubes deflated in your backpack.

That being said -- the "deluxe" fish cat model has an inflatable seat instead of foam, not sure how much this would help since I have not seen one all folded nice and deflated.
[signature]
[#ff0000]It isn't cheap, but it is everything you are looking for. The Freestyle H3 is totally inflateable, so it will fold up VERY small.[/#ff0000]
[#ff0000]Plus once you get to your destination, it inflates to a 6' long float tube with TONS! of storage.[/#ff0000]
[#ff0000]Best part....your BUTT will be out of the water (with exception of choppy water)[/#ff0000]
[#ff0000][/#ff0000] [inline "H3's 045.jpg"]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Actually Joni, the cost of the H3 is not that much when you compare it to other floating devices on the market.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]It offers more room/storage/options than most tubes. With it's size and construction I think that it offers more safety than most tubes. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Because of the size and construction of the H3, it can really be compared to a toon, and with that comparsion, it is much cheaper than most craft.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Listen to me! You would think that I'm trying to talk myself into getting one. That is really not a bad idea considering that it may be a while before I get recovered from my surgery.[/size]
[size 3]Lifting and handling my pontoon boat, battery, trolling motor, etc. is more than I can handle right now.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]For anyone interested in a new craft, a visit to the Northfork site provides a pretty good sales pitch.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I feel that it's the best "tween" on the market at the present time. (A "tween" is the craft between a tube and a toon).[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
That H3 looks nice, but yea definitely more on the spendy side.. I could see moving up to that model as time went on though.

The inflatable seat FC deluxe... anyone know how small it packs down?

thx
[signature]
bpm2000,

Welcome aboard. It's nice to see another Seattlite on the board. You might want to check Sportco, GI Joes, and Outdoor Emporium for your tube needs. They should all be having sales for the lowland lake opener on April 28. You might be able to find a good deal on a package. At the very least you will be able to get a good up close look at several different types of tubes.
[signature]
Hey Kevin

I will definitely check out one of those stores at some point soon.

thx
[signature]
As other have mentioned there are sime accetable floats out there. With your limited budget I might consider a used craft. I personally have picked up a couple of them. Fair prices and decent floats. Most recently a TU U-boat that my son is using. Talk about light weight and you couldn't beat the price (20). Just remember if you are looking at used to inflate them and check for leaks, torn fabric, missing parts. The condition of the fabric, stains should be ok, but deteriorating fabic is not. You may be able to find good waders also. I have yet to find any good fins that way but I'm sure they are out there. Check the dive shops and schools. They may be willing to part with some of their used equipment or point you to someone who will. On another note try it all out before you head to the backcountry. A local pond or even a swimming pool. Better to find a problem at home than far away from friends and help. Hope this helps.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The Fish Cat Deluxe, with the inflatable seat, actually folds up into a fairly compact space. A BFTer and his wife, from New York, flew out to fish with me in Utah last year and they brought their gear on the plane. The FC4-D fit neatly inside a suitcase...with fins.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here is a [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=278476;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]LINK TO THE FISHING REPORT[/url][/#0000ff]
[signature]
hmm good to know - ill go try to check it out in person soon.
[signature]