Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weds afternoon at Deer Creek
[green][size 2]I'm humblely brought back to earth. The O for Deer Creek. I got to take my Dad out today! Talked to a couple of trollers, they both only got a few 12-14" bows. There was ice down by the dam about 1pm. It was gone by 6pm when we left. We saw water temps from 39 degrees at the State Park to 45 degrees about 200 yards from the river inlet. It was pretty windy and only so-so warm. But, it sure was pretty. [/size][/green]

[#008000][size 2] I'm heading up to the show tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to try to drag Heather from the old Orem Angler's Inn store.[/size][/#008000]

[#008000][size 2] Saturday, I probably take my tube back down to Lincoln and try to put some "eyes" out[laugh]! [/size][/#008000]

[#008000][size 2] Thanks for all those comments, sniff-sniff. I would like to thank all those responsible, sniff. Mom/Pop, my dead dog, the people who sold me all the fishing gear... tommy [/size][/#008000]
[signature]
[blue][size 2]Been there, done that! Deer Creek can really humble you when walleye fishing. Or were you bass fishing. [/size][/blue]
[purple][size 2]We were fishing for anything or Bows. I have never done well at Deer Creek. Tube Dude sent me some tips, but of course I forgot them. We threw bait bugs, grubs tipped with worms, inline spinners, jerkbaits, and even a jig-n-pig. Nada, zero, and nein-we were kaput! Ten more degrees and it will be time for senkos and jerkbaits. [/size][/purple]
[signature]
When you where up by the river channel you where in the right spot,just wrong pattern,I have let this out before so its not a secert anymore,This time of year the walleye are in the river channel,I use a lindy rig with 3 to 4 foot leader,a white float and a mustade glow hook,and a half a nightcrawler,on the west side of the lake the channel comes across a piont,in that area get the setup on the bottom and drift or very slowly troll accross the piont,the fish are there through the spawn and have caught them there until water temp gets into the 60's,I have not been up there this year so if the channel is actually the river your guess is as good as mine,but they will be in that area,I use a bottom bouncer wieght that is connected to the line with a quick change clevese not a walking sinker,alot rocks on that piont,lol.

Later,Tony[cool]
[signature]
If you're walleye fishing at Deer Creek's 39 degree water, go over the Heber Creeper railroad track, and work that rocky shoreline with a 2 and half ounce bottom bouncer followed with a six foot leader for a shallow running jointed crankbait (Orange Rapala) works great. In cold water, you can get a walleye on this. The trick is to go put on a real real slow presentation, and set your speed to 0.5 mph. If there's just a slight breeze, you can turn off the motor and just naturally drift.

Another secret is to use a drift sock, in "too breezy" condition, and that will slow your boat to a perfect mouth watering speed.
[signature]