Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Makin Wet and Dry Flies
Can anyone get me a good tutorial on making wet and dry flies for drfit fishing, and rigging up special blue gill lures?
[signature]
I was just up at cabela's in michigan and i purchased the jack dennis fly tying video collection. It contains 25 hours of footage. I think it was a pretty good deal at 74.99
[signature]
For bluegill fies, I did a google search and got lots of good leads for them and for beginning tying.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hey there idahopanfish that is a good suggestion. I have saved numerous fly tying sites as short cuts. Placed them all in a folder for quick access. Why pay for something that is available on line for free. Why? Because I am cheap.[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Start out tying wooly buggers...for wets....Make sure you put some lead wire on the hook. Chernoble Ant patterns are very simple for drys....and they are deadly. I like to fish a chernoble ant and use a copper john as a dropper. Another very easy fly to tie. Also just to save you some money i would order a Cabelas catalog that has lots of fly patterns....Once you get the basics of tying flies the photos in the catalogs can be helpful. I worked for Jack Dennis for about 4 years....His books are pretty basic and helpful. Scott Sanchez has some nice books and vids. His flys are deadly!!
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hi there SC-flyguy - you are right about the WBs. I found tying the WB very easy as it was one of the first fly that I tied. Seems like they are on every bodies list as a go to fly. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[#0000ff][size 1] I worked for Jack Dennis for about 4 years....His books are pretty basic and helpful. Scott Sanchez has some nice books and vids. His flys are deadly!![/size][/#0000ff]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[black]Jack don't fish for Bluegill, just BIG TROUT! LOL[/black]
[black]Woolly's are a go to fly for sure, but I wanna add ROYAL WULFF's. Wet and dry. Duck feather wings for wet and Calf hair for dries. No body talks about the Old School flies, but they do work.[cool][/black]
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]I probably have more RWs in a variety of sizes than any other fly. They worked like magic on the Snake in the JH area. Since I have been tying mine they don't look quite like the store bought item but hey never seen any fish hold up a sign that said thats a[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=24508;][/center]
[signature]
I ran across this fly which the guy says is a number one killer for Blue Gill. It is not the easiest tie for a beginner and would be kinda time consuming. Buy a few from the guy and see how well the work for you.

[url "http://www.eflytyer.com/patterns/madamx.html"]http://www.eflytyer.com/patterns/madamx.html[/url]

Use the colors he recommends.

dB
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there Scruffy_Fly I think that I would need a martini or two before I tackled tying that PMX fly. Also a visit to my fly store for some of the material. Have you tied any yet?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I was looking for the pattern to tie it in the future so I have not tied it. I don't think it will be difficult just has a bunch of steps to it. So a bottle of Snake bite medicine would be good to have within arms reach. Come to think of it. When I was on the Green Last week I was given a bottle of snakebite to put into the a gift flask I recieved the week before. Guess I need to start working on getting the materials to tie that fly.

No matter what fly you want to tie there is always something ya gotta buy to do it.

dB
[signature]