Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
regulations
hey there tube dude and the doughnut gang ( tee hee hee ) .

michigan tubers are currently put in the same catigory as powder skiers .

i don't think us here in the north have cought up with you warm water tubers , but as soon as the d.n.r. gets there chance i bet were going to get some new laws and regulations . what kind do you guys have ?
[signature]
[cool]Some states have minimal special regulations for "flotation fishing" Others have written in special language in the annual proclamations specific to float tubes. More often it is a water by water thing. Some lakes specifically prohibit rafts and float tubes, relegating them to the status of swimming...and swimming being prohibited on potable water sources.

JapanRon is probably the guy to respond as far as California regs are concerned. He has made reference to some specifics as far as wearing PFDs and the specified amount of safety orange you must have showing. California is big on water safety and does much to help boaters and other watercraft operators to keep them from killing each other.

Some states have clauses that say you must have two air chambers on your craft. Others have restrictions on staying within certain boundaries. I'm sure it has changed since I was there, but there was a little lake north of Denver, back in the 80's, that looked perfect for tubing. As I drove in to the launch area to prepare my craft for deployment, I was approached by a ranger. He inquired as to what I was doing. When I explained that I was going to fish from my float tube, he informed me that I had to stay within the swimming buoys...and that I could not fish. No hooks allowed. Worse, he would not refund the money I had paid to get into the lake to fish.

You had expressed an interest in visiting us in Arizona. You will be pleased to know that we have no limit on Michiganians in our state...nor any restrictions on method of capture. However, Arizonans are encouraged to release all anglers from the state of Michigan that they catch. They bring a lot of "snowbird bucks" and they taste lousy. However, it is suggested that they be released on golf courses rather than back into the water. Something about environmental issues.

Please tell me you were kidding about the float tubing/powder skiing thing. That sounds like the ultimate case of "government intelligence"...an oxymoron if there ever was one.
[signature]
innertubes on the slopes , yes there have the same regulations as skiers , none yet for snow bunnies .

on some rivers up here ( usually used by canoers and innertubers ) the dnr is concidering banning the crafts unless they purchase a boat sticker ( license ) . it seems the tubes and conoes make the fish nervous acording to the dnr , maybe that sticker will make the fish more comfortable . hows that for logic ?

pllleeeaaaassseeee don't put me on the golf course , i'm to young to smell like icey hot !
[signature]

Hey there lonehunter,

TubeDude covered a lot of ground with his usual good info. California is the land of lawyers so it stands to reason that there are more regs to cover liability and and such than you can shake a stick at.

As we speak, I've got four different references to try to sort out just how a float tube is regulated and classified here in California. We have the Coast Guard, Department of Boating and Waterways, Department of Beaches and Harbors, Department of Motor Vehicles, California Coastal Commission, Sherrifs Department, and on and on and on have their own take and the thing!

Whether a craft is powered or not seems to be the number one consideration, number two would be the water contact issue (potable water as TubeDude indicated). The next few areas of catagorizing could be size (minimum or maximum length), safety equipment, areas to be used, materials something is made of, etc. when wanting to utilize a tube on a given body of water.

Right now, tubers are at the mercey of the powers that be and most try to operate on a ow key basis. Some beaches are completely open, some harbors are completely closed to tubes but open to skuls and kayaks, etc.

The best thing one can do is monitor the message boards and ask specific questions on a body of water you would like to float and fish to those that serve that area.

Here PWC, float tubes, kayaks, sailing craft and skuls are treated differently in various circumstances.

JapanRon
[signature]
thanks ron , that gives me some other avenews to check with before i take my first homemade tube venture on the lakes this summer
[signature]