Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logan River 4-21-07 - Crystal Clear
Fished the Logan River east of Logan up hwy-89 between second and third dams. Never fished this area but it was awesome. Prior to heading out I stopped at Round Rocks Fly Fishing. Nice store, friendly people there with good advice. In back of the store is the Logan River and they have some big pet browns and an albino trout they feed and stay all year apparently.. Anyhow, nice store/people, drop by if you're in Logan.

The water was crystal clear and flowing pretty good. I found a spot and was able to fish 10 feet from my truck. Got a little bow with a BWO on my first cast, only a little guy but encouraging. The more I looked the more fish I saw! Moved up stream a little and saw an area with a fallen tree holding anywhere from 6 to 12 trout! Anyhow, spent about 2-3 hours there, got about 6 bows (couple nice ones too!), 1 brown and 2 brookies. Had a big something on that broke off..

I was still in the bait fishing area too since I only had a little time. Above the third dam is all flies and lures though.. I say this because I was talking with a guy camping who said he fishes under this bridge I was fishing at with hamburger meat... Anyhow, I need to get back there and go higher where the cutts are!

My Dad was along and took pictures, so attached are a few action shots and one of my bows.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=24115;]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=24116;]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=24117;]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=24118;]
[signature]
Was the BWO hatch going on? and nice fish and report.
[signature]
Beautiful area there Hartz. I read nothing but reports of the fishing up north on here. I live in Salt Lake and I gotta tell you with the construction going on, it is a royal pain to get to the Weber or the Logan, but I do love the pictures and the reports.....jealous!
Keep em coming!
[signature]
You were fishing what we used to call the "Time Tunnel" years ago- A lot of memories fishing that section at night. You have a little room above the 3rd dam before it's fly and lures only. It starts at Card Canyon. The rivers in Cache Valley are scary right now. They look like it is late July. Need water. I hiked a couple of the tributaries a week ago on the Logan and the Blacksmith and it could be a cruel summer.
[signature]
RE- flygoddess - I also live in SLC, right downtown. I am lucky to have some family in Logan that I will visit every couple weeks. After seeming how nice it is up there it'll be more often than 'every couple weeks', that's for sure. Then, I work in Layton. So to avoid traffic (or as an excuse to go fishing really..) after work I'll head the long way up hwy-84 and fish the Weber and come down I-80 back home!

RE: packfish - I was suprised at how low it was. Seems like it had been a lot higher in previous years.
[signature]
Yeah, a lot of the rivers are low so get out and enjoy the unusually good fishing for this time of year. Won't be much runoff but I'm worried summer could be very cruel to many of our fisheries.
[signature]
bwo hatch not quite going but the guys at the fly shop recommended trying it out anyhow
[signature]