Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard----Kitty City 4/29
Fished Willard today from the tube.

Arrived a little later than I wold have liked, 7:00am. Started out throwing plastics on one rod, and dragging a chub on the other. About 30 seconds after the chub hit the water it was game on. Nice 17" cat. [cool] For the next hour or so, I didn't have another nibble.

At about 8:15 the bait rod went running again, and another 17" cat. From there on out, I was getting bit on the bait every 5 minutes or so. I continued to work plastics with no luck. Nothing on hard baits either. Not even a tap all day. [mad]

Eventually gave up on the hardware, and went with the double bait rods. One with the chub and the other with carp meat. It didn't really matter. Both rods were running 4 or 5 times.

In all I probably landed 25 or so, with the biggest being only 19", but the average was about 17". Cookie cutters as Pat would say. I missed probably just as many as landed. Water temp at launch was 57.1* and when I left at 12:30 it had gone all the way up to 63.5*. Beautiful day, with just enough breeze to knock down the bugs a bit.

[Smile]
[signature]
Those cats look delicous! I have been wondering, how big are those chub minnows you fellas drag for kitties? Thanks for posting!
[signature]
They are usually 3-4" long, but I was cutting them in half today. Sometimes they like them whole, sometimes half will do. [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you made it out. Sorry I wasn't there to lend immoral support. Too bad a wiper or two didn't drop in to play. Oh well, that's the way they are...or aren't.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Where did you launch?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Looks like a great trip to me, glad you got into some kitties. We need to get back out there again.
[signature]
Dang I could not make it to Willard, had to work overtime.

Looks like some of the cats are getting bigger.

Hmmmm....... perhaps the kitties will reach bigger sizes in the future.

I cant believe how much carp works here in Utah.

At Lake Havasu in Arizona it never seemed to work, serious.

Im sure to hit Willard but the temps are going done to the 60s this weekend.

But I think the cats will still be feeding.

If your getting more and more cats to 17" they are sure to get bigger in the future, perhaps the shad idea wasn't so bad.

I bet Willard get better and better, but witht he lower water levels looks like the cats will have to deal with the carp eating thier eggs.

But I would think that Willard is not so carp infested as Utah Lake, no way.

How deep were the cats?
[signature]
I really wanted to get a few wipers, but they were not cooperating... I think you needed to be there... Your wiper call works really well. [Tongue]

I launched along the souteast corner by the freeway. I thought I would have some beach to work with in launching, but the water is up over the rocks now. That made things interesting. [Sad]
[signature]
I caught them from 4-10'. 10.5' was the deepest I found.
[signature]
Those catfish love really stinky stuff, thats why whenever Flycastin gets in the water the cats form a big school around him. Too bad we can't cut him up and use him for bait. JK
Nice post Ty.
[signature]
BAM!!! You dog you. When ya gonna get another weekday off?
[signature]
I always have Mon-Tue off... It's a matter of if I can get a babysitter and kitchen pass is the question.

[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Not a good idea. The EPA has laws against water pollution. You would have to file an environmental impact statement before putting parts of FC into the water and you would never get the permit.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That's why we always insist that he wear a hazmat suit for waders. The pretty yellow color does seem to attract the fish sometimes though.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Ah, i see.
[signature]
As soon as I know when I can get some time off, I will let ya know... Many fish to be caught this summer. [cool]
[signature]