Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber entomology questions
So I was fishing the Weber near Wanship on Tuesday. A Sedge/Caddis hatch was still going on and fish were nailing stuff on the top. Good day, caught my largest brown and smallest brown on the Weber that day too (pic of the big guy attached).
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id...rch_engine]

As I was wading around I saw a rock with a bunch of 'eggs?' attached to the bottom of it. It also had caddis 'shells' attached to the bottom. I took a picture with my phone and it is attached. My questions are: are these 'shells' (in the center of the rock) in fact the caddis 'shells' and what is the appropriate name for these? And then, what type of 'eggs' (on the side of the rock) are these that are attached to the bottom of the rock?
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id...rch_engine]
I saw another weird thing at the end of my day. As I was finishing up and cleaning my waders, I saw a accumulation of caddis in one area on my waders. Within the accumulation of caddis were also some little green blobs (looked like little soft green Nerds, best description I could come up with!). Two things went through my head, either caddis eggs or those European mud snails.

What the heck did I see yesterday?![crazy]
[signature]
Hartz,
I am jelous! But I am stuck at work. It sounds like the "mother's day" caddis hatch is beginning. I have seen phenominal hatches on the Weber. Durring such hatches I have watched adult caddis flies crawl onto my waders and lay eggs. I am not an entimologist but my best guess is that the green globs are caddis fly egg clusters. Great time of the year. Did I mentiion I am jelous?
[signature]
Yea, its sweet out there. I had a cluster of maybe 10-15 caddis w/ about 10 egg globs on my waders! I've been heading out after work and fishing from about 6:30 until dark and plenty of topwater action. The caddis were so thick last sunday. I was near this bridge and the beams underneath were covered so much with caddis that I could hardly see the actual beam. Like 10 per square inch I'd bet! So thick I ate a few. So thick I had to keep slapping myself in the face, not only in amazement but to get 'em off my glasses...

Note though campfire, these comments are purely for informative documentation and not meant to encite you jealosy anymore...hehehe[sly]
[signature]
Thanks a bunch! Your kindness is overwhelming![crazy]
[signature]
The weekend isn't too far off though campfire. I'm just getting you excited for when you do get time to get up there!
[signature]
Actually, I work 7 days on and 7 days off so I have to work all the way through the weekend and even monday. But then.............well..........what goes around comes around.[sly]And this weather just might push the hatch back a little and it might be even better next week. Hope springs eternal.[Smile]
[signature]
nice fish. the Caddis Hatch should be held a couple of days now the weather hit.
[signature]
The caddis hatch was back on late this afternoon.
[signature]
I went up after skiing today (what a weekend!) and didn't see any hatch.. What part of the weber were you at riverdog? Lower? I was near wanship again and didn't see hardly any bugs, let alone any caddis. just curious. figure it ought to be warmer lower, near henefer or something.
----------------------
Does anybody know what those egg type sacks are on the rock in that picture. One the top right of the rock are these sacks attached to the rock if you look closely. Its gnawing at me as to what the heck they are??...[crazy]
[signature]