Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gummed up honda 4 stroke carb
I have an older Honda 4 stroke 8 horse. It has been a while since last ran. Tried to fire it up with new gas today and something must be gummed up in the carb. It will fire up and then just die. I am no expert on carbs and wondered if someone who knows what they are doing would want to trade a carb cleaning and tune up for a Camp Chef stove or smoker.
[signature]
I can't remember who it was for sure but I think Kentofnsl knows someone that does carb work.
If it was me, I would get some SeaFoam and try spraying it into the carb. Does your motor have electric start? WH2
[signature]
Nope it doesn't have electric. I hae a blister on my hand from pulling it so many times trying to figure out what the deal was. I am sure it is simple for someone who knows what they are doing.
[signature]
I've been there, I hate trying to start a motor like that[unsure]. That is why my next kicker will have electric start. When was the last time you had it running and did it run good then?
[signature]
It ran awsome when last started. It has only had 2 tanks of gas through it ever. It was 2 years ago when it last ran. I sprayed it down good and filled the bowl with a little sea foam before I put the bowl back on. Hopefully letting it sit just a little before I try it again will help.
[signature]
Good idea, you could also try taking your spark plug out, cleaning it and spraying a little in there. I always run Seaform in my two stroke but it wouldn't hurt to run it in a four stroke, at least at the end of the season.Good luck I hope it works.
[signature]
plugs and cylinder look great. Like I said it will start it just won't stay running. I think I probably have a jet in the carb plugged or something along those lines. I just know I have no more time to deal with it now. Thanks for the help and advice.
[signature]
Most of the time either your floats are sticking or your needles are glumed up. I took my Merc 15 hp. apart and cleaned her good because the floats were sticking.

So with the weather bad for the next few days - [unsure]
Questions:
Can you take the motor off your boat?
Could you bring it over to my house in Murray for a couple of hours?
Could you help me take it apart and clean it?
Could you bring it over Friday evening?
You're NOT a Weird-O? (IT disclaimer required)

If the answer is YES to ALL the questions above - shoot me a PM and we'll try and put something together.

Remember - No Guarentee's but we can give it a try....
[signature]
Motor is not on the boat. I live in Davis County and will be at shows all over the US until Wednesday night next week. If not I would be happy to drag it down there and spend a few hours going through it and learning. The float is good no problems there that was the first thing I checked when I pulled the bowl off. I have no idea on the needle.

And on the wierd part. My wife thinks I am weird because I will pass [black]anything[/black] up to go fishing other than that I think I can be considered quite normal.
[signature]
Well I saw the computer reference and since that's my area also I had to throw in the Disclaimer. Shoot me a PM next Wednesday and maybe we could go for Thursday evening - I have a large garage with a carport - so we should be able to at least take her apart and give it a good one-time gum-out.
[signature]