Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
portable fishfinders
I have been looking for a fishfinder to go on my pontoon. I am looking for a fishfinder that is "good enough." I'm not planning on fishing water much deeper that 40', and I only have a pontoon, and someday in the future a canoe. My budget tops out at $100. I've seen some handheld jobs on the internet, eg., Norcross Hawkeye (see link below).

[url "http://www.norcrossmarine.com/HEFF33000P.htm"]http://www.norcrossmarine.com/HEFF33000P.htm[/url]#

Has anyone ever used one of these before????

As always, I appreciate your responses and expertise!

ES
[signature]
I went through the same delema,I know your budget is limited but I would spend a little more money and buy a better unit. I bought a Bottom line Fishin buddy side finder I can use it through the ice as well as in my boat and it only uses 3 C cell batteries.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewbottomline1200.html
[signature]
hi emuscud you could try [url "http://www.humminbird.com"]www.humminbird.com[/url] at their home page click on special offers they have two reconditioned units for under 100.00 you buy factory direct and both come with a warranty

aquaman
[signature]
i haven't tried this fish finder but if you get on Ebay and type in fishing there are almost always some fishfinders on there that are only $39.00. I have thought about getting one for Echo res. because they run on some double A batteries and they go to 66 feet deep. they fit in your pocket and they don't weigh hardly anything. Once you pack your junk to the ice at echo one time you learn to pack lighter and that's why i'm thinking about getting one myself
[signature]
I've seen those too. I just wanted to know if anyone has used them before or if someone has found a decent review of the technology on the web. Thanks Aquaman for the link! Those were some sweet deals! Now I just have to sell my wife on the whole idea [unsure].

ES
[signature]
GOOD LUCK AND GOOD FISHING

aquaman
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Nate. Had me worried there for a minute. I thought I was reading that you had to sell your wife.

Kinda like the old joke about the guy who says he just got a new car for his wife. Best swap he ever made.

Just thought I would toss in my observations. You realize that for the type of fishing you will be doing most, you do not need high-powered real-time images of your lure below. The more powerful units cost more money and need larger batteries. Just find something that will give you reliable readings on depth and contour...and maybe a fish blip or two.

I have been hooking up the low range Eagle sonars on my kick boats for about 10 years. The Fish Easy only draws about a half amp per hour and gives me everything I need to know for depths up to the fifty feet or so maximum that I fish from flotation craft. It will read over 200 feet if you need it. With the standard 20 degree cone, it works fine for finding bait schools, suspended fish and identifies bottom huggers too. When you learn to read it, you can distinguish weed growth, rock or mud bottom and all kinds of stuff.

The price on those units stays about $100, and is easy to set up for a tube or 'toon. I have pics and diagrams I can send if you want them.
[signature]
Too funny! [Smile] I wouldn't sell my wife for anything! Its just a matter of converting her over to the "dark side." Just imagine a women who grew up in central Alaska but not like to fish! Incomprehensible. Allthough she did say that once our children are raised, I might have a Tube Babe of my own.

ES
[signature]
[cool]I have the opposite "problem". I wouldn't think of trying to sneak my gear out on the water without "Mrs. Dude". I would come home to a dinner of "hot Tongue and cold shoulder"

Seriously, she has been a great tubing companion for about 24 years...this June. She fishes out of the same tricked out craft I do, and is a very skilled anglerette. I still take care of all the "tackle tinkering"...lure making, rod and reel maintenance, kick boat preparation, battery charging, etc. But, she definitely knows what to do when we hit the water. Outfishes most of the boaters and bank anglers too.

One of the things we have been doing for several years is taking out a pair of small walkie talkies. We keep up a dialog of what works and what doesn't, so that we can experiment to find the hot patterns for the day. Folks on the bank or in boats think we are nuts, talking to ourselves, but they already suspect the worst when they see us motatin' around in those mini bass boats. I especially like the walkie talkies because that's the one way I can turn her off. (Just kidding...in case she reads this)

"TUBE BABE" WITH 9# CHANNEL CAT SUBDUED ON LIGHT TACKLE & 4# LINE. NOTE THE EAGLE SONAR MOUNTED ON THE LEFT FRONT OF THE CRAFT.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage122913.jpg]
[signature]
Good hell,T.D. she's got more equipment on that tube then I have in my boat!![Smile][Smile][Smile]All she is missing is that 48 qt.cooler full of beer!![Wink]"BIG FISH RULE"M.H.
[signature]
[cool]Whaddya think is in those pontoons...something silly like air?
[signature]
I just got an eagle fisheasy 2 portable this year and I am still in the learning mode on it. On the ice it would pick up my jigs good down to 60 ft. At 90 ft it was not always giving that jig signal. I was always assuming it would pick up the fish good. I have not spent enough time with it to really learn all the secrets to reading it correctly. One problem I did have with it was when UTdukhunter had his older unit on about 10 ft away it would not work correctly - it may not work well with another sonar unit on close by - I dunno.

It is a battery hog - a 12 volt rechargable gel cell will not last all day even with hand warmers wrapped around the battery. I have not tried the 8 D cells it can use to see how long they last.. It cost about $150 and I am happy with it - I have been catching fish with it anyway [Smile]
[signature]
Has anyone tried the new Smartcast? Its a wireless finder that you can cast out from the shore with as well as using with a boat.

I think I might get one, Ive seen it for 170.00.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Tyler
[signature]